Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be abbreviated and filled with typos since I'm posting this from my phone because uploading pics from my computer does not work well.

This is a race where I've had multiple friends go the last two years, so I've known how sick it is through their experiences. Coming into it I was extremely excited and also nervous that my lack of fitness would be an issue to finish the full 6 days.

Day 1 was at Panorama Resort.

Number plate on, no turning back now.

View from the lift. We only got 1 lift the first day, and did an additional 4-5k of climbing on top of that.

Stage 2 was a 3500' descent of I remember correctly. I was very slow on this one due to a crash, but it took me 19 minutes.

Also on stage 2.

Day 1 was one of the hardest days on a bike for me. After my crash face first in a creek on stage 2, I was physically and mentally struggling to even ride the rest of the day. I nearly walked every single fire road climb from there on out. The final stage of the day was a DH bike park trail that was nice and steep, and the adrenaline brought back a smile on my face.

Top of the last stage on day 1. Luckily my friends were all super encouraging and helped me through the rest of the day.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day 2 was also in Panorama but this time it was labeled as an "Adventure day". Which loosely translated to hike-a-bike.

This pic was taken at the top of stage 2 on day 1. This is the route we were hiking up to get to the first stage today.

Kill me now. We would do more hiking today than I ever have in my life. With or without a bike.

We were in good spirits so far.

I usually opted to push my bike and traverse up the mountain as much as possible. Putting the bike on my shoulders hurt with my severe lack of upper body strength. But some sections there was no option as it was so steep and rocky.

This is the start of stage 1. It did not suck.

Our group at the top of the first peak.

After that first huge hike, we weren't done. Now we hiked through the forest and up creeks.

Two stages finished at this area. My friends posing for the camera.

This was stage 4. Also another huge hike to get up here. Then straight back down in a matter of seconds. I would never do this if I wasn't "forced" to by the race. Super sick experience though.

Day 2 was my favorite of the week and I also had some of my best times. Stage 3 was the because of the week for me finishing 15 out of around 80. Notice some big names behind me including Nate Hills, The Privateer, and both Trail Peek boys. (They all smoked me on almost every other stage on every other day though).

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Day 3 we traveled south to Kimberley.

Start of a stage in the trees.

I broke my derailleur on the start of this stage and had to walk the rest of it. (It was short, but lots of pedaling).

From this point on, the rest of my day just went downhill. Lunch was supposed to be after this stage at a house, but that was at a different location than where we started. (Where our truck was parked with my tools and spare derailleur). My plan was to push/coast to lunch (since it was mostly downhill) then hope that someone could drive me back up to the base of the ski resort where I could fix my bike and finish the day.

Once I get to lunch unfortunately there was no free vehicles, and now we were too far from the starting spot to walk. A nice lady volunteering with the race offered me to take her bike up to the truck, so I did. Big mistake. Pedaling a size small, plus bike with 12 psi in the tires, and suspension set up for 75lb rider uphill was harder than walking. I wasted so much time and energy trying to retrieve the truck. But finally got there.

By the time I got back to lunch, it was too late and they said final sweep just left and was pulling the markings as they went. They did offer for me to drive over to the bottom of the start of stage 4 with them, and just walk my bike up the climb from there. This climb was long, and I was already the last rider so I was hurting trying to speed walk my broken bike up the hill. (Never got it fixed because I was in too much of a rush).

Get to the top of the last stage and for some reason I thought to myself, "This is a steep stage where not having a chain and derailleur is probably an advantage. I'm just going to send it, what do I have to lose". Well that was working great for the first 3/4th of the trail until I had a hard crash near the bottom. At that point I was laying in the ground with my bike even more messed up that it was before, thinking what I'm even doing. Finally make it back to the truck, and have a few miles of dirt road to get back to the venue.

On my way out, the truck I'm driving gets a flat tire. Just my luck. And to add to it, the spare kit was just removed from this truck. Long story short, starting from 11am - 9pm my day went from bad to worse and it took until that long before my bike, the truck, and myself were back at the venue and in one piece.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day 4 we traveled again to Fernie BC.

The day started with a 3200' climb.
Big thunderstorm halfway through the day made the trails nice and muddy.
Only 3 long stages on this day, and I struggled. They were all steep and gnarly, which is to my liking. But I think a lack of fitness and mentally huge loss of confidence from the previous day had me riding poorly. But no crashes or mechanicals, so that's a plus.

Post race everyone enjoying food/beer at the bike shop.

Happy to have survived.

Day 5 we traveled across the border into Crowsnest Alberta. Epic views

Another huge climb up to stage 1.

Top of the first stage. Very few racers had even heard of this place and we were all a little skeptical of the trail quality.

Having a little fun of the climb up.

End of the day heading back to where we started for beer and food.

This day went decent for me, but my lack of fitness was really catching up. I could not hold onto the bars after 2 minutes in each stage, so I kept making mistakes and was forced to back it down way below my abilities just to stay on course and finish. Small flat at the end of the day but luckily my Stan's and dynaplug got me to the finish.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Day 6 was back in Fernie. Today was bike park day and I was super glad we got to take 2 lifts today.

My friends always getting that shot for social media.

Resting the legs mid race.

Stage 1 I think.

Even though my times weren't great on this final day, I had so much fun. The trails were steep and loamy, which are two things you never see in a bike park. And to end it off, after the race was over we did some party laps just to really put some icing on the cake. Easily the best bike park I've ridden. Suck it whistler.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Great honest account of the race. I saw some videos from BCPOV of the hike-a-bike and it looked like a total beatdown. People say it is one of the toughest enduro races. Some great highlights especially beating the biggies on one of the stages (Hills, Petersen bros, and Privateer).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.