Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
201 - 220 of 285 Posts

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
CharlieFarrow said:
What a tough break for some of the T.I. competitors...CDC Edict on Swine Flu Epidemic: Apparently the CDC has banned the use of carbon cycling frames and carbon components in the great state of Iowa for the month of May because of a conclusive W.H.O. study that indicates a strong direct correlation between the spread of the newly mutated Swine Flu virus and carbon cycling paraphernalia. Also, due to itz location to large swine lots, all cyclists from the Rochester, Minnesota area are strongly encouraged to stay within the borders of Minnesota until after May 2nd. I for one dedicate this ride to all those effected by this sudden, but humanitarian safeguard. Tri, Novak, and the others will all be missed, I ride in their honor... :thumbsup:
CPF
I find that odd, but I trust you. So who am I to second guess that.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,130 Posts
A word on Trans Iowa Radio....

Trans Iowa Radio: The annual commentary by your's truly will be posted on my blog "Guitar Ted Productions" for all to hear starting Friday evening. (There is a course condition report up now there to check it out)

While many of you find the commentary useful and entertaining, I must add that it is not a professional news report. ;) Keep in mind that I am doing these audio posts while trying to keep tabs on an event that sometimes requires my full attention, (see T.I.V4) or finds me in a half dazed stupor wandering around in the middle of the night after being up for 30 plus hours. Sometimes both at the same time! :D

Anyway, these reports are what they are. If I don't mention your significant others name, it isn't because I didn't see him, or that he is missing in a pig lot somewhere in the boonies. I probably (a) don't know his where abouts at that particular moment, (b) forgot to mention his name, or (c) just plain spaced off giving a rider report.

So, please do not think that I am such a great reporter that I wouldn't.....nay- couldn't- possibly not see your man out there. No, no! I am just a bike mechanic hopped up on a large quantity Red Bull and beef jerkey having fun with an audio-blog service. :p

That said, I will do what I can to impart the feel and progress of the event to listeners and I will try to be diligent about names and DNF's and what not. I just wanted to put that disclaimer out there for all the wives, girlfriends, partners, lap dogs, and any distant relatives that might be listening for word on their favorite racer. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just want to say to the folks that are not currently in central Iowa. Our roads are in GREAT shape. Even though we have gotten a lot of rain and there is still rain in the forecast I have all the confidence in the world that the gravel will be dry and hardpacked. Now some of those B roads may grab a shoe or two, but they won't last long. And I did ride V2 so I know how bad it was.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Winds forecasted around 10-15 MPH. Temps forecasted in the low 40's overnight and mid-60's during the days. Rain up until the event, but not during. These sound like the type of conditions that created the fastest TI to date, TIV3. Even if the conditions aren't primo and even if GT and BD manage to have put together a more challenging course than V3, they will be better than the 30+ MPH sustained winds of TIV4.

My bags are near packed and the bike is ready... I can't wait for 4 AM Saturday Morning!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Finished prepping my bike last night. Still need to pick up a couple of things yet today, but I'm as ready as I'm going to get at this point (although that doesn't mean I'm as prepared as I would like to be). See all of you tomorrow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
weathers

First of all. Know and love NOAA's hourly weather graph...especially in wind country. It's wind reports are very accurate. I live and die by it. Check every morning when I wake up.

That said... the weather report is ab-so-lutely freaking beautiful!

It's been upgraded since I looked at it this morning. Highs in the low 60's Saturday and Sunday. Low of about 40 degrees.

Wind of no more then 7mph!! ...with winds of 3mph most of the day Saturday.

40-50% cloud cover with only a 14% chance of rain.

I don't live in Iowa but I'm guessing this is uncharacteristicly beautiful weather for this time of year.

On noaa:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapCli...41.66800&textField2=-92.00840&site=all&unit=0

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,130 Posts
mmeiser01, that looks a bit optimistic as far as temps go. Given the humidity and the winds predicted, we're going to see lower temps than that predicts at night. Those numbers will be a bust if that wind prediction is correct.

As for winds, if in fact that report is correct, it will be a rare spring time stretch of weather for Iowa. Typically at this time of year a 15mph wind is considered "calm". ;)

But no matter. The weather may not seem that it will play a significant part in Trans Iowa now. ;)

Let's talk after the event. I think there will be a different view by then.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
But no matter. The weather may not seem that it will play a significant part in Trans Iowa now. ;)

Let's talk after the event. I think there will be a different view by then.
If I didn't know better, I'd swear you had inked some sort of evil pact with Mother Nature...my money is on plagues of locusts this year. :D

·
Registered
702 Posts
Brandy said:
I just dropped my boyfriend off at the airport and he's on his way to join all of you on this crazy adventure. Take good care of him for me...he'll be the one from southern California shivering in the 40 degree weather. ;) Good luck to everyone out there!
He arrived safe and sound, and had a good meal and a drink last night. I'll make sure he gets to the race and back. What happens to him in between, I'm not responsible for :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
sfuller said:
He arrived safe and sound, and had a good meal and a drink last night. I'll make sure he gets to the race and back. What happens to him in between, I'm not responsible for :D
:p LOL...yeah, that's the part I'm worried about! Thanks for getting him to and from!

Buckshot77 said:
Got George and Steve on the road from Dsm around 3 with food in hand so they should be in good shape. Be interesting to see what shape they (and my bike) return in on Sunday.

Rick
Thank you so much for your hospitality Rick. :thumbsup:

201 - 220 of 285 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.