Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'll be there with a brand new gfr.The tires I'll run will be stock and the gearing I'll have to figure out as I'm sure it would be different than my time spent on a ss26er.
any thoughts?
Oh and if anybody road last year ,what do you think about me taking the reba off the rig and putting a rigid on?good idea?
ready willing and able

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
I'd love to go...

....but I'm washing my hair, err, or something...maybe next year? ;)

I am semi-planning a Double-Trans-Warwickshire for the same time, self supported north-south then east-west covering road / bridalways / white-roads / canal towpaths....maybe next year I'll let some of you guys enter if you can prove you are tough enough :)

Seriously though, good luck to all who ride the Trans-Iowa....nutters the lot of you!

Alex

·
www.badgercycles.com
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dmsigurdur said:
I'll be there with a brand new gfr.The tires I'll run will be stock and the gearing I'll have to figure out as I'm sure it would be different than my time spent on a ss26er.
any thoughts?
Oh and if anybody road last year ,what do you think about me taking the reba off the rig and putting a rigid on?good idea?
ready willing and able
A rigid should be fine. When picking your ratio keep in mind the cutoff times and pick a ratio that will allow you the average speed you will need. I ran a 34x15 with 42's last year and that would have been fine had I not fell apart. This year I'm leaning toward a single speed cross bike with 35's and staying with 34x15 or 34x16. It will be an easier gear but I'm thinking it will roll faster. Hoping this will let me keep a good average speed with less effort. Dont forget about your hands. I'll be using a Midge bar so I can have different hand positions. I'd put some thought into that and think about how you can carry everything. A camelbak kills me so I'm trying to figure out how to carry everything without one.

·
No Reputation!
1,727 Posts
rigid should be fine?

Talked a buddy into it and we're gonna give it a go. I'm just really hoping for a neutral wind situation and no rain. And since I'm wishing, above freezing would be really great :)

So tell me about this "rigid should be fine" thing....honestly really for sure???

·
www.badgercycles.com
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fastskiguy said:
Talked a buddy into it and we're gonna give it a go. I'm just really hoping for a neutral wind situation and no rain. And since I'm wishing, above freezing would be really great :)

So tell me about this "rigid should be fine" thing....honestly really for sure???
I think so but I'm not a good person to ask. I've been riding rigid for years so I really dont know the difference. I spend most of my time on gravel roads and have no problems.

·
No Reputation!
1,727 Posts
OK but how old are you?

OK, sounds good but first I've gotta ask how old are you? Are you a young, pliable, strong, youthful, lad.....or are you crusty, old, arthritic, and fracture-able (not sure if that is a word but work with me here...)? Are you battle hardened over tens of thousands of miles with butt the thickness and durability of shoe leather? Or are you a tenderfoot, thin skinned, with bruisability (another not-sure it's a word) like a peach? I need details man! (maybe not about the shoe leather butt)

·
www.badgercycles.com
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fastskiguy said:
OK, sounds good but first I've gotta ask how old are you? Are you a young, pliable, strong, youthful, lad.....or are you crusty, old, arthritic, and fracture-able (not sure if that is a word but work with me here...)? Are you battle hardened over tens of thousands of miles with butt the thickness and durability of shoe leather? Or are you a tenderfoot, thin skinned, with bruisability (another not-sure it's a word) like a peach? I need details man! (maybe not about the shoe leather butt)
36 old crusty and fat! I think you would be ok without a Sus fork. Just pick the right tire and go with a carbon bar or something. I'm going to "soft wrap" my Midge bars with some foam under the tape. Thin weather stripping with bar tape over it. Learned that while road racing Cannondales back in the day when I wasnt so fat and old.

·
your ankles are fat
335 Posts
Dallas

run what ya brung!!!!! Keep in mind that if your Rig plan falls through, how would you run your Axis or you Norco(bikes you have)...think of a very rolly Beach to Beach race, only do it five times. From my experience, Rigid should be no prblem, I kept my lock-out on my 1fg on the entire race last yr, and I had itsy-bitsy 26er's on, the Rig's wheels alone are going to soak up a tonne more!

...and you know what I'll be on this year now.

·
No Reputation!
1,727 Posts
Only 36?

heh, well that's just great. I'm 37 (and 3 months) so let's just call it even on age. I thought of the wrapped bar too and I think I'm gonna go with it, I'd like to avoid the "numb hands and shoulders for 2 weeks" scenario if possible.

so let me as you another question, as a veteran and about the same age, about the bike. I could run a couple of different setups

1. 29" mtb with road bars, pace carbon fork, prolly go with some shaved down 2.1" tires to make them nearly bald

2. Surly pacer with 32c tires-they say they'll fit

3 Redline aluminum cross bike with 38-40's (have to check on clearance to be sure but something like this)

Any comments would be appreciated! Just to be 100% clear, I'm not goin' for the win, I'm just trying to finish in the time limit so my performance will almost certainly not bump you down in the overall standings. Thanks :)

robpennell said:
36 old crusty and fat! I think you would be ok without a Sus fork. Just pick the right tire and go with a carbon bar or something. I'm going to "soft wrap" my Midge bars with some foam under the tape. Thin weather stripping with bar tape over it. Learned that while road racing Cannondales back in the day when I wasnt so fat and old.

·
Registered
173 Posts
axis ,my trustworthy axis

Ya I hear you on the other bikes.I have to admit that if the rig doesn't go through then the axis will be a goin'.mind you I'll have to get a eccentric hub for it as I'm ssing TI2 and won't be backing out for the gear ride.
Or I could replicate my XTCSS.................................
I've also been checking around and am wondering how you can drop weight off the rig as I do like my ride light .Having said that I won't know what she weights till she's here as nobody else around seems to ride a 15.5.
Oh well back to givener

·
www.badgercycles.com
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fastskiguy said:
heh, well that's just great. I'm 37 (and 3 months) so let's just call it even on age. I thought of the wrapped bar too and I think I'm gonna go with it, I'd like to avoid the "numb hands and shoulders for 2 weeks" scenario if possible.

so let me as you another question, as a veteran and about the same age, about the bike. I could run a couple of different setups

1. 29" mtb with road bars, pace carbon fork, prolly go with some shaved down 2.1" tires to make them nearly bald

2. Surly pacer with 32c tires-they say they'll fit

3 Redline aluminum cross bike with 38-40's (have to check on clearance to be sure but something like this)

Any comments would be appreciated! Just to be 100% clear, I'm not goin' for the win, I'm just trying to finish in the time limit so my performance will almost certainly not bump you down in the overall standings. Thanks :)
I think it all comes down to what you like. I'd set all three up and go out for some long gravel road rides over the next couple of months. Try out everything and make your choice from there. I'm pretty sure the Redline will take 42's. I ride gravel roads all the time and the 29er seems more comfy but I like the feel of the road/cross bike after 10 plus hours. I'm really digging my singlespeed cross race bike right now but it will only take a 32c. I'm thinking about building one just like it but with s-bends and a wider fork with tons of offset. Kind of a 29er/cross bike thing with a 1300 to 1400 gram wheelset shooting for the 17lb mark. I'll also play around with 35c to 42c tires tubeless so I can run lower pressure to take some of the edge off. There is a 200 mile race like this one in Kansas this (next) year plus I think we will be seeing more and more races like this one in the future. Might as well build a bike just for them. All I really know now is that I will be using Midge bars.

"Overall standings" Yea right. I just want to finish alive. I didnt even get halfway last year and I'm still pissed about it. I'm more worried about how to carry everything without a camelback. I had my shoulder scoped before TI and could not deal with crap hanging off my shoulder.

·
No Reputation!
1,727 Posts
That's prolly a good idea

Yeah, getting all 3 set and trying them out is probably the best idea of all. But the idea of a "wide" cross bike is a good one too. You'll have to post pics when (or if?) you get one built up-I'm always up for another bike if I can just justify a need (and the TI2 definitely qualifies as a need!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.