Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
RidetoLive,BuildtoRide
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading Dave Nice and Fxdwhl's blogs and seeing their January mileage I looked mine up with pathetic results compared to those formentioned......so whats your January mileage???

Mine 149....yup pathetic:)

Peace

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
No Worries!

Hey, Squirrel, you've got other important things happening, like moving into the new Casa de la Squirrel going on. So, to have all that down on your "to do" list and still manage 149 miles in January is pretty stellar in my book, dude! :thumbsup:

I suspect it takes as much mental toughness as it does physical toughness to do T.I. and from what I've heard, you've got no worries there, mate!

Keep on Keepin' on!

·
Registered
173 Posts
trying to help your egos

I thought I'd throw this in and calm anyone who's freaking outs nerves, I haven't even sat on my bike yet.
Yep you heard me .

Dallas " but the running is coming along very well" Sigurdur

Oh and for anyone who's wondering why this is so. Well I trained fairly well last year (by my biking standards) and didn't finish so I figure I'd pull a Castanza and do the opposite. Plus I'm a little bummed I missed all the beer at the end of the day (although the patrons in the Mallard, Iowa bar wanted to get me drunk).

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Is this your profession??

Seriously that some miles in for January Pivvay. How many hours? I got in just about 350 and about 30 hours. Pretty crappy for me, hoping to get Feb up to 450-500 and then keep adding on 100-150 per month up to LT100.

Pivvay said:
1007 for Jan 2007 :eek:

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Not my profession

No I have a 40+ hour/week job with a big company (I'm a mechanical engineer by degree) and I'm married too. Job isn't that cool but I still have to go M through F. Wife is cool though :)

I don't really log hours and don't make a big deal of mileage *usually* but this month ended up being a special occasion I suppose. I average 20-25 hours a week on the bike from my rough calculations and January had a full rest week in there with a little over 100 miles.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Was just joking :D

I was actually joking Pivvay, I know from reading some of your posts you're a working stiff like most are, just that amount of mileage would translate into a crap load of hours. Guess you do a good bit of night riding then? Don't have kids either huh? Couldn't see a wife letting a dad out that much w/ young-uns around. I'm hoping to build to about 20 hours a week - one long road ride 4+ hours and 1 long MTB ride 6+ hours, then a couple 2-3 hour rides somewhere in between - got to get the a$$ ready to spend 9+ hours in the saddle if I'm gona complete LT100.

Pivvay said:
No I have a 40+ hour/week job with a big company (I'm a mechanical engineer by degree) and I'm married too. Job isn't that cool but I still have to go M through F. Wife is cool though :)

I don't really log hours and don't make a big deal of mileage *usually* but this month ended up being a special occasion I suppose. I average 20-25 hours a week on the bike from my rough calculations and January had a full rest week in there with a little over 100 miles.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Squirrely1 said:
After reading Dave Nice and Fxdwhl's blogs and seeing their January mileage I looked mine up with pathetic results compared to those formentioned......so whats your January mileage???

Mine 149....yup pathetic:)

Peace
My January milage was about 60 miles on a real bike when I did all of about two rides for the month. It has been freakishly cold recently, and though I want to go out riding now the idea of frostbite isn't real exciting. Actual temp is currently -10F at 11:00 am, with a windchill of -37F. :madman: Riding in that is pretty much a guarantee of putting you in the ER.

So I have been riding the stationary bike and getting my money's worth out of Netflix. Frankly, people in the South have no idea how nice they have got it.

·
3,049 Posts
Pivvay's got the fire, kids.;) :thumbsup: :p :eek:

I don't own a bike computer, so don't keep track of mileage. I've putting in a solid 15-20 hours a week all month between riding and running, course now I'm not even sure if I'm going to do TI at all.

·
your ankles are fat
335 Posts
same as Dallas here

-did a couple of fixie roller rides earlier in the month but don't really count'em...classic skiing and running mileage is a touch over 200 miles for Jan(75% running)...am I worried?...not one bit....btw, it's -54f here right now with the windchill, and there's a bottle of port I need to get back to.

·
Registered
466 Posts
mikesee said:
Que? Couldn't agree less.

Couldn't agree more.

MC
Ok, then, serious question for you: how do I keep my face protected from the cold and wind? I wear a balaclava made of fleece. Over that goes a dowhill ski helmet and a pair of ski goggles which fit perfectly with the helmet.

If the balaclava goes over the nose my glasses fog up and then freeze with ice. If I can't see I can't ride. If the balaclava doesn't go over my nose and surrounding cheak area get very cold. On days like this I am afraid I would get frost bite on my nose.

Other than my nose I have most everything else figured out temp wise for cold riding. My personal cut off is about 20 degrees F, because below that my nose just can't handle it.

·
your ankles are fat
335 Posts
Vaseline(sp) works brilliantly as a windblock on your face for anything warmer than -20C(for me), any colder and i bust out my OR balaclava....
as far as your glasses fogging up, my solution to that was getting contact lenses

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Yea the balaclava that goes over the nose but directs the air down is the trick. I find that if I keep my balaclava right below my nose it usually stays warm enough for all but the fastest downhills. In that case I usually cover my nose with my gloved hand until I slow down :eek:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.