Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to replace the travel indicator O-ring on the shock to my Trance XO, as it broke. I can't seem to get the pin out to free the lower part of the shock. I got one bolt off but can't get the other one off to get the pin out. Can someone please explain or show with pictures how this is done?

·
Registered
38 Posts
replace the oring with a zip tie.
the pin has a head like a bolt so after you have taken the one bolt out,pull the pin out the otherside,taking the weight off the back wheel might help.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I know I can use a zip tie but I would rather just replace the O-ring.

I did remove the hex bolt on the right one side but can't get the pin out the other side as it is to long and the chain ring is blocking it from coming out all the way.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone know how to get the pin out? I am hoping I don't have to take the chain ring off. I am not sure I understand why Giant did it this way. Seems like on the Specialized bikes it is much easier to do this.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked with my LBS and they said the same thing, that I would have to take the chain ring off to get the pin out all the way. What a pain in the rear.....what was Giant thinking designing it like this?

I am not sure I have the ability to mess with taking that much stuff off my bike, as I have never done it before. Plus I don't have a torque wrench to get the bolts back on with the correct tightness. I guess I have no choice but to use a zip tie now, this sucks.

·
A mean teen...
331 Posts
You have to take the largest chain ring off by removing the four chainring bolts. My Reign's in pieces at the moment so I'll be able to take a photo for you.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
:D LMAO :D Don't mean to be mean, but got to agree with Haggis on this one. I think Giant does this so people like the OP who don't have the proper know how don't go F'ing around with their bikes and mess them up. FYI Resist, how in the hell did you "break" the o-ring indicator? :???: :rolleyes: I haven't managed to break one of them ever on any of my bikes I've had - Trance which had over 5,000 miles on it and current RIP9 with well over 5,000 miles.

Haggis said:
Sound like a job for the Waambulance.. always wanted to post this, cheers.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LyNx said:
FYI Resist, how in the hell did you "break" the o-ring indicator? :???
I didn't break it. When I bought the bike last year I noticed that the o-ring was rather worn, as if it was dried out. Then finally this week it just broke on its own.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Come on: the cranks aren't hard to remove. And there are PLENTY of other bikes that have similar interference issues - not just Giants. If you're pulling pivots apart, you should be handy enough with a wrench to be capable of removing and re-installing the cranks.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Sounds like you b ought it used then and the person who owned it did do regular lube and maintanance on the shock. You don't have to remove the crank to remove the chainring, but it's a lot easier to do with the crankset off.

Resist said:
I didn't break it. When I bought the bike last year I noticed that the o-ring was rather worn, as if it was dried out. Then finally this week it just broke on its own.

·
A mean teen...
331 Posts
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Some reference photo's.

Lower shock bolt...

When the big chain ring is removed you can push aside the 2nd chain ring like so...

Top shock bolt (on the small rocker arm)

There's the big black bolt that goes through the shock eyelet. There's two black bushings either side and two washers (which probably won't fall out anyway).

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Small piece of advice........it's always a good idea to give your bike a good wash/clean before you go messing with stuff like this to try and help avoid any undue dirt/grime from getting into tight tolerance areas and causing trouble.

·
A mean teen...
331 Posts
LyNx said:
Small piece of advice........it's always a good idea to give your bike a good wash/clean before you go messing with stuff like this to try and help avoid any undue dirt/grime from getting into tight tolerance areas and causing trouble.
I washed it after. :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LyNx said:
Sounds like you b ought it used then and the person who owned it did do regular lube and maintanance on the shock.
It was a brand new bike when I bought it. Only the o-ring was messed up.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Yukon-RSX,

Thanks for the pictures! But my Trance X0 is tad different with regards to the chain gear placement near the shock pin. I found an online picture for a similar Giant bike that shows the shock pin is part of the drive side Hex bolt, so the pin can only be removed on that side. Looks like the only way is to remove all the chain gears to make room to get the pin out. Because even the smaller inner chain gear blocks the pin.

I am very mechanically inclined but I don't know the torque specs or have a torque wrench that shows the measurements as in/lbs.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts