Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone know what an LBS's cost is for a 2008 Trance XO? $2100? $2300? My LBS wants to sell me an XO for a "steal" -- approx. $3100 (before tax) and told me that his cost was $2300. I just wanted to validate this.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
A Trance XO is top of the range, the retail is around $3700 so he's not ripping you off, it's well worth it and better value than a lot of the competition, the kit is nicer but there's nothing the XO can do that the X1 and 2 can't, the X1 is the best value though.:thumbsup:

I'd be interested to know what the shop actually does pay Giant for the bike, $2300 sounds pretty low to me.

·
May contain nuts
2,445 Posts
dllq said:
Anyone know what an LBS's cost is for a 2008 Trance XO? $2100? $2300? My LBS wants to sell me an XO for a "steal" -- approx. $3100 (before tax) and told me that his cost was $2300. I just wanted to validate this.
Why? What diff does it make if you know his margin? He shouldn't have mentioned it... :skep: What matters is that the deal is competitive and he backs up the product he is selling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
costs going up

True -- it makes no difference. I agree -- ultimately all that matters is what he is charging me and whether it's a competitive price relative to other local LBS's. Nonetheless, he did mention it and $2300 seemed kind of low to me. I just wanted to know how realistic this was. More curiosity than a reason not to buy the bike. He mentioned this to me in the context of the economy and how their costs are going up. His comment was that I should "get in now" since rumor is that costs are going up from Giant by 10-15% for 2009.

·
May contain nuts
2,445 Posts
dllq said:
True -- it makes no difference. I agree -- ultimately all that matters is what he is charging me and whether it's a competitive price relative to other local LBS's. Nonetheless, he did mention it and $2300 seemed kind of low to me. I just wanted to know how realistic this was. More curiosity than a reason not to buy the bike. He mentioned this to me in the context of the economy and how their costs are going up. His comment was that I should "get in now" since rumor is that costs are going up from Giant by 10-15% for 2009.
That rumor is well grounded, raw materials, cost of freight and Taiwanese labour rates have all gone up a heap. At least that's what retailers seem to be saying and as everyone knows if something is said often enough it becomes fact... just look at the price of petrol.

·
Slower But Faster
627 Posts
Based on NZ pricing (NZD1.00 = USD0.75) it doesn't seem like that much of a steal.

Example: In NZ, Trance X0 retail price before tax is NZD 4,400 (~USD 3,300). Most every bike in NZ is sold at at least a 10% discount of retail, often 15%. NZ/Australian spec bikes are arguably a bit better for the price than the North American market too. Retailers gross profit in NZ is something in the order of 35-40%, I imagine it is similar in the US.

See the link below for an idea of NZ retail pricing (all includes 12.5% sales tax):
http://www.burkescycles.co.nz/images/main/bikes_fs_am.htm#Giant

G

·
You Can Love The Post

The colors in the maybeliline one though just don't work workable ,maccosmetics-vip weebly com/#73284]wholesale mac cosmetics

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.