Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im in the market for a new bike, and decided it was to be a XC style FS bike. and i think ive found it. ive been lookin at a few bikes but keep coming back to giant. im looking at a trance x3 (cause its in my price range right now). ive read nothing but great things about the rear suspension and how the bike rides. i just sold my XTC last week, and am still trying to get rid of my fairly new rincon to get a new bike. i looked for reviews but only see one listed on the main page.

for those who ride a 08 trance (preferably x3 or x4) what are the current pros and cons you have seen while out on the trails, or just cruising around.

im trying to make the decision here between a couple bikes. this and a trek fuel ex 7/8 is another. just not sure as to what is better for me at this point.

·
Yung Wun Ho!!
169 Posts
I just ordered one of these on Saturday. I have a rincon as well and have also heard great things about the X3..Mine was around 1900 for a large..I was told maybe to look into upgrading the rear shock..I mean its not crappy but that was their first suggestion other than a wheelset..The 08 Trance x2 is pretty much the same thing as the 09 x3 expect for the wheelset and the 09 has "custom" hayes ryde strokers breaks..If your looking to do some decent drops and jumps I would say go with a 09 Reign x2 or a 08 Reign x2..I was priced 2100 for the 08 x2..It will handle the jumps and drops alot better than the x3 will..The x3 has a 120mm fox 32 f120r front fork while the reign has a Marzocchi 160mm with more real travel as well..I plan on using the x3 for jumps and drops just nothing big. I'll trust my azonics on my Rincon to handle those big one.If u set up the x3's suspension just right it is an amazing bike from what Ive heard and been told..Its a great bike for the price..If u can snatch an 08 for a good deal I would grab that. One thing Ive learned fast is buy a bike based on what trails and style of riding are local to u.I wanted more of a downhill/freeride bike at first but here in Central PA we have rocks and hills...I hope that helped!

·
Registered
525 Posts
its a great overall bike for the money- i kind of wish i had more of a race type xc bike and a stunt bike myself tho. however- unless i do decide to get two bikes to replace it i have absolutely no complaints (although i have been considering as much). im surprised how little i notice the suspension working- it never does anything out of place doing everything from climbing to little drops and the stock parts are more than decent. i would absolutely get one over the trek!
JDel said:
I just ordered one of these on Saturday. I have a rincon as well and have also heard great things about the X3..Mine was around 1900 for a large..I was told maybe to look into upgrading the rear shock..I mean its not crappy but that was their first suggestion other than a wheelset..The 08 Trance x2 is pretty much the same thing as the 09 x3 expect for the wheelset and the 09 has "custom" hayes ryde strokers breaks..If your looking to do some decent drops and jumps I would say go with a 09 Reign x2 or a 08 Reign x2..I was priced 2100 for the 08 x2..It will handle the jumps and drops alot better than the x3 will..The x3 has a 120mm fox 32 f120r front fork while the reign has a Marzocchi 160mm with more real travel as well..I plan on using the x3 for jumps and drops just nothing big. I'll trust my azonics on my Rincon to handle those big one.If u set up the x3's suspension just right it is an amazing bike from what Ive heard and been told..Its a great bike for the price..If u can snatch an 08 for a good deal I would grab that. One thing Ive learned fast is buy a bike based on what trails and style of riding are local to u.I wanted more of a downhill/freeride bike at first but here in Central PA we have rocks and hills...I hope that helped!

·
Registered
629 Posts
i purchased the 2009 trance x3, about 2 months ago and have nothing but good things to say about the bike. i think the 09 x3 is equal to the 08 x2...i could be wrong but thats the impression that i got. i got the x3 because of the great price and the fox front and rear suspension. the upgrade to the 09 x2 seemed way too steep for me considering i will be swapping out components in the future and the only thing different about the suspension is the front and rear lockout, which i doubt i will ever need to use. i think youll really like the bike. mine is a size large and im 6'1 190 lbs. this bike feels like it will hold up to all mountain riding too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you can find an 08 Trance X2, I would say go for it. You can probably get a good deal on them, since the 09 have been released. I personally like my 08 X2, the anodized black w/ ghost Giant etched across the down tube.

·
Registered
386 Posts
That was me that left the one review on the X3. I have nothing but good things to say about the bike still and I've ridden mine on all sorts of trails. The suspension def handles small (~ 3') jumps with ease.

I would second the earlier poster's comment about buying for your local trails - we have a TON of roots here and the X3 soaks them up very nicely. If you look closely, you'll find that the stock wheels are actually not that bad. The WTB rear hub is very light and the rims are mid-weight and prob sturdier than most. I had a couple issues with the brakes at first but worked them out very quickly and haven't had any trouble since. I want to upgrade most of the drivetrain to XT, but the stock stuff works ok..

Expect the pedals to crap out quickly - CBs will prob give you a credit towards a better model. They sent me a brand new pair and I put them on another bike.

·
Registered
525 Posts
yeah, I gave the pedals to the girlfriend.

so far as the wheels- It is always recommended to upgrade (it seems(, but I can't go any weaker for sure...

I've already had some issues with wheel strength while under full warranty that were dealt with by my lbs. of course, that's only because I was doing things the bike isn't designed for.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think this is the bike i want now. after doin some more back and forth searching. they will both be fine for what im doing, and although the trek is sexy as hell. i might just have to stay with giant on this one. it really depends on what price i can get. i know what i can a 08 trance x3 for, im gonna have to get a price on a 09 x3 and the treks as well. i will from there figure out what is best for me at this time.

again thanks a lot for the input on this bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wheel World has the 08 X2 for $1279.99 right now. If you know someone in LA who hasn't used their coupon yet, then you could have them buy/ship it for you. I got my 08 X0 for $2399.99 a couple days ago!! :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
holy crap thank you....and i think i made my decision. if my bike sells today i should have a new bike by next week

the 08 trance x2 is going for 1600, the trance 2 is 900

anyone know whats the difference in the x2 to the 2?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Two different beasts. The X has more travel, slacker angles, and I think it may have a slightly heavier frame (the X is still pretty light a ~6lbs). Before the 2008 redesign, regular Trance frames were pretty porky.

IMO, they're both fine trail bikes, but the X is more versatile and can also handle rough trails with more poise at higher speeds.

Also, based on the price difference, I'd guess the X has a better kit set-up. The regular Trance may also be further discounted as a result of it being discontinued in 2009.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like its a x frame for me. The x2 was the bike I wanted but was out of my price range so the x3 was the one I choose. But at that price I might just have to snatch the x2 up

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Last year's x2 is similar to this year's x3, as someone has already stated. You aren't getting an upgrade by getting last year's x2, but that's still a good deal. I'd get the '09 with the 15mm through-axle front, but that's me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well that's before coupon. After coupon, they'd be $1280 and $720, respectively. The coupon I mentioned was this one:

http://www.bicyclechristmassale.com/

I wouldn't wait to order though, they have a limited inventory of 08 models, plus the coupon expires at the end of this month. Like I said before, you'll still need to find someone in LA or OC to help order for you since they won't ship it unless someone shows up in person to order it. The coupon's limit 1 per customer, and I already used it to buy my X0, so you'll need to find someone else.

Dom87SS said:
holy crap thank you....and i think i made my decision. if my bike sells today i should have a new bike by next week

the 08 trance x2 is going for 1600, the trance 2 is 900

anyone know whats the difference in the x2 to the 2?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i tried to get my grandma to go order it but she is 92 miles from one place and 105 miles from the other so that aint gonna happen. id hate to loose out on this deal cause it is killer.

either bike i get is a huge upgrade from what i have now, too bad my bike didnt sell this time around. hopefully next week i get a solid buyer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.