Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the main differences between the 2008 Trance X0 and the 2009 Trance X0. I notices there is a $1000 price difference. What's up?
Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
This years X1 is last years X0. This years X0 is Giant hoping to make big margins;) Check out Giant's site for this years X0/X1 differences. You'll see that you could do the upgrades yourself for about the difference in price and have backup components to boot.

SS93

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
The only thing I see that would really make any difference to the ride is the Fox Talas fork on the XO, that will improve up and downhill riding a lot but it really depends how much you want that, the Trance X is already one of the best climbing trail bikes and descends very nicely too. XTR shifters feel and look a tiny bit nicer and allow you to drop 2 gears at once whereas the XT’s on the X1 don’t allow you to drop more than one gear but XT’s do have a gear indicator if that matters to you. The XTR cranks will last a little longer and shift a tiny bit better but to most people it wouldn’t be noticeable. The carbon Race Face bits are lighter but not much else, either saddle would make no difference because I’d have to get rid of those straight away anyway as they‘re both rubbish, carbon levers on the brakes actually make braking feel worse IMO. There’s no upgrades I can see that are worth an extra $1500 and you’d do better to keep the extra money for upgrades that you really want later on or you could even consider getting a nice little 29er SS bike for just knocking around on…perhaps wait for the 2010 XTR, I’d be proper annoyed when all my XTR bits are replaced by newer, better ones in 8 months time or completely obsolete if Shimano goes 10 or 11spd with Sram which is as good as fact now...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Concur with all above. I have a 2008 XO and aside from replacing the saddle and tires for Conti Mountain King tubeless 2.2's, it's bone stock and will likely stay that way until I break something. If I really got an urge to swap something out, the first place I'd look right now is the Juicy 7's. I'm happy with the XT bits so far, and I really like the Mavic Crossmax SL wheelset it came with.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The wheels are UST, you'd just have to pull out the tubes and install the valves that are supplied at purchase. The tires are not UST and you'd need stans to seal them up or pick up some UST tires.

·
Registered
109 Posts
so with ust tires you dont need stans and therefore no maint? What are good ust tires and whats their average cost. thanks much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
its always good to have stan in you tubless. diffently less of a hassle than tubes. and youll save money on the long run. i pulled out atlest 15 thorns in the past month. tubless with stan is the best investment i ever made.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts