Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
The carbon version is lighter :) I'm assuming the frame hasn't really change much at all since 2008. It just seems to me that Giant tends to make major changes every few years rather than making subtle changes every year. Personally, I wish they'd make more changes year to year, but I can't say they don't for sure...

·
Registered
740 Posts
I think there's a subtle weight difference between the anodized frames and the painted ones but I don't think it comes close to 400 grams...

I actually think that Giant has the right idea in keeping something good around for a few years before changing it...I find that Specialized changes its models so often I'd be reluctant to drop $ on one of their bikes.

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
I know the Giant frames have changed significantly since '06, which is when I got my Trance. Their STP however has stayed pretty much the same.
The Glory which now falls in line with the rest of the range seems to have significant weight savings since last year, I really like the new look.

The bike industry is just so progressive at the moment, not many brands out there that aren't changing at least something, which I means most bikes wouldn't really hold their resale hugely so I wouldn't call one an "investment". However on the other hand you have a more affordable second hand market which is a good thing for those that can't afford new.

Yeah it sucks if you have to keep buying new bikes just to keep up with new technology though, but such it is for those who need to have the latest and greatest. Weight is just one of the parts of the game I guess, a 400g drop wouldn't surprise me, paint certainly does weigh more than one might think, and well the other 200g wouldn't be too hard to drop, particularly in spec.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
swoodbrn said:
So, what I'm getting from this is - not much change in frame weight since '08 (except for maybe paint).
That would be my guess.

No way Giant would drop 400 grams (or any significant weight) from the aluminum frame and keep it a secret. We would have heard about it in every magazine and mtb website.

·
No. Just No.
5,360 Posts
antonio said:
That would be my guess.

No way Giant would drop 400 grams (or any significant weight) from the aluminum frame and keep it a secret. We would have heard about it in every magazine and mtb website.
It was in every web site and magazine (or so it seemed) a few months ago. However, the 400g weight drop was comparing the '09 Alum to the '10 carbon Trance X so not really apples to oranges. Longer travel bikes from the Reign and up did drop huge amounts like 675g+ though from the '09 to '10 Alum frames. Just repeating what was in the Giant 2010 press launch info. I haven't weighed any myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.