Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´m looking for an all mountain bike and found and some lightly used 2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0 around $2200 or 2013 Cannondale Trigger 29-1 for $2600. How they would compare?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Can you ride them both to see what which one you like better? For me I'd go with the Trance, it's a great bike and less expensive.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I happened to have a 2013 trance X 29'er I built up from a frame only. I love the bike! I have a fox 34 float fork, with a full XT build, and DT swiss wheels. Mine weighs in around 30 pounds. It is a awesome all around trail bike. My only two complaints are that the bike blows through the end stoke on the rear on jumps/drops/hard G outs. and the second is that the XT brakes aren't all that good. They are mushy no matter how I bleed them (compared to hayes stroker trail and stroker ace's) and don't have the feel at the leaver that I like. Go for the Trance!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I happened to have a 2013 trance X 29'er I built up from a frame only. I love the bike! I have a fox 34 float fork, with a full XT build, and DT swiss wheels. Mine weighs in around 30 pounds.
Slight threadjack-how do you like it with the Fox 34 (what travel too)? Although I see you've not ridden it with the stock 32. I'm worried about uphill balance, as it's pretty darn good with the 120mm.
Thank you!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I really like it with the 34 forks, I would not even consider building it up with a 32. I think the 32's are flimsy on a 26" let alone on a 29". Mine is the 140mm travel, and although with my 50mm stem it does tend to wonder a little on supper steep stuff, if I pay attention I don't have any problems. It is on the 30 minute + climbs where I am huffing a puffing is when the wondering starts... :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
I really like it with the 34 forks, I would not even consider building it up with a 32. I think the 32's are flimsy on a 26" let alone on a 29". Mine is the 140mm travel, and although with my 50mm stem it does tend to wonder a little on supper steep stuff, if I pay attention I don't have any problems. It is on the 30 minute + climbs where I am huffing a puffing is when the wondering starts... :)
Ok, thanks! I've been concerned about the length-with the extra travel and a longer crown I didn't want it goofy uphill. Sounds like it's not that bad and worth it going down. Thanks again for the info.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
End up buying the Trance X 29er 0. Yamaha 249, there's any adapter needed to change the fork on the Trance? I've noticed that Giant has a proprietary stem/steerer size so it's not just a bolt on mod right? I was thinking of a Pike 140 but don't know if it will work.
Is it worth swaping the Giant dropper post for a Rock Shox Reverb or the stock is just fine?

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts