Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm coming from a 2008 Stumpy HT carbon 26 and looking for a FS 29er or 27.5 trail bike. For my kind of ride, I think the Giant Trance is gonna be an ideal bike. I've never ride a 29er before but at 5"6' I'm leaning toward the 27.5. Otherwise, I can find almost new 2013 Trance X 29er for as low as $2.200,00 whereas the 2014 27.5 1 I can't find a huge discount over the $3500,00 mrsp.
Anyone have experience with both trances 29er and 27.5 that can give me an input? How's the ride of the 27.5 compared to the 29er?
thanks

·
Your Best Friend
5,304 Posts
The ride is significantly different. Those two tire sizes are VERY different players. At your height I'd recommend the 27.5 though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I currently have a 2013 Trance X 29er. Before that I had a 2008 turner 5 spot. I am
5'8" and ride a medium sized frame. There is a huge difference on ride from 26" - 29". I will always ride a 29" bike as my xc bike because they are so much faster over choppy/rough stuff and the only downside is the do turn different than a 26", a little slower. I use strava and my times on every section, up and down have improved significantly from when I was on a 26" xc style bike. I do think that 27.5" will be the future for all mt. and DH stuff, but currently I feel that the 29" is better for xc/trail riding compared to a 27.5". I do have a DH specific bike and a heavy duty 6" travel bike for enduro style riding, both of which are 26". Some day I am sure I will have a 27.5" DH bike and a 27.5" enduro style bike, but I do more big xc/ all mt rides here in the PNW, 15-30 miles, and nothing would beat a 5" travel 29er on this terrain.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And what about the Specialized Camber Evo 29 compared to the Trance X 29er 0?
I would be comparing apples to apples? Any experience here on both?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I took out a loaner trance 27.5 while my 29er was in the shop, and I didn't like it. Probably because I've been on 29ers for 4 years or so, but I couldn't clean things on the smaller wheels that I ride regularly with no problem. I also thought the suspension was harsher, but that might have been a product of the wheels not rolling over the terrain as easily as I'm used to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts