Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm curious what pressure you guys are running in the rear shock to get the suggested sag. Giant recommends 12mm of sag, and Fox recommends 14-17mm of sag.

I'm struggling to get consistent sag as I alter pressure. I've lost 20lbs since I got back into riding, so I've been readjusting the suspension for my lower weight.

When I first got the bike I had 200lbs in the shock to get 12mm of sag when I weighed 190.

Now I'm down to 170lbs and readjusting the shock pressure and dropped it all the way to 160lbs to get 12 mm of sag. I kept dropping 10psi at a time and wouldn't see much difference in sag.
I had compression and rebound fully open while setting up.

Anyone have any advice or see anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm curious where you found Giant's recommended numbers? I got a X 29 3 two weeks ago (same rear shock) and I've been going by Fox/Rockshox numbers because I can't find Giant's recommendations anywhere. If their recommendation is 12mm of sag then I need to add some more air as I've been shooting for 17mm.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm curious where you found Giant's recommended numbers? I got a X 29 3 two weeks ago (same rear shock) and I've been going by Fox/Rockshox numbers because I can't find Giant's recommendations anywhere. If their recommendation is 12mm of sag then I need to add some more air as I've been shooting for 17mm.
Giants recommend sag isn't far off from the minimum end of what fox recommends 12 vs 14mm at the low end. It works out to be 21% vs 25% so it's very close. I suspect most people aren't using calipers to measure sag.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmm, that video is 9 years old so the Trance X they're talking about isn't the Trance X we have today. I wonder if the recommended setup is different? But you're right, it isn't far off from Fox's recommendations.

I honestly expected some type of documentation to come with the bike about this. Printing a suspension setup guide and including it doesn't seem like it would be that hard...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, that video is 9 years old so the Trance X they're talking about isn't the Trance X we have today. I wonder if the recommended setup is different? But you're right, it isn't far off from Fox's recommendations.

I honestly expected some type of documentation to come with the bike about this. Printing a suspension setup guide and including it doesn't seem like it would be that hard...
I agree, but it's the only guide from giant I've found.
I'm surprised there isn't some sort of setup guide available from Giant, either in the paperwork or online. I've been setting up on the low side of sag recommendations anyway so I've been targeting 14mm for the rear.

I've been pretty happy with the rear suspension, but I've been messing with the front fork to get it to feel better. It's seems a bit harsh and I've only used 100mm of travel in a few oh crap moments. I pulled 2 of the volume spacers out and set it back up. Hopefully that helps.
That's what got me readjusting the rear, along with being 20lbs lighter than when I got the bike.

·
Registered
136 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.