Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've been looking at bikes for months now and really like the Trance X 29 2. Great specs and reviews. The only issue I'm reading of is pedal strike in the low position. Has anyone else with this setup experienced this? I'm going to assume that this issue would occur with all Trance X bikes with this sus frame setup. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hello. I've been looking at bikes for months now and really like the Trance X 29 2. Great specs and reviews. The only issue I'm reading of is pedal strike in the low position. Has anyone else with this setup experienced this? I'm going to assume that this issue would occur with all Trance X bikes with this sus frame setup. Thanks.
Pedal strike is a possibility with all bikes that have lots of bb drop. TX has 40mm at low setting.
It's not that big especially if you ride with correct sag (15/25% front/rear). Some people are clueless about the sag and tend to run way too much wondering why they hit their pedals all the time.

Note that between 30mm (considered small bb drop) and 40mm (quite a bit of bb drop) is just 10mm and 10% of your sag can account for 15mm or more drop.

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pedal strike is a possibility with all bikes that have lots of bb drop. TX has 40mm at low setting.
It's not that big especially if you ride with correct sag (15/25% front/rear). Some people are clueless about the sag and tend to run way too much wondering why they hit their pedals all the time.

Note that between 30mm (considered small bb drop) and 40mm (quite a bit of bb drop) is just 10mm and 10% of your sag can account for 15mm or more drop.
Thanks for the info. I posted that question early this morning. Then I got in my car, drove an hour, demoed one, and bought it. :) The sales guy at the LBS told me the exact same thing you said and showed me how to adjust the air pressure and sag adjustment. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What's the BB height ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the BB height ?

In my very scientific methodology of measuring the height of the bottom bracket (Sears tape measure from the floor to the bottom of the bottom bracket) it's ~12.5 inches, though this will vary with the amount of compression occurring during a ride and this will change by 10mm according to the adjustment of the flip chip (I think).

·
Registered
84 Posts
In my very scientific methodology of measuring the height of the bottom bracket (Sears tape measure from the floor to the bottom of the bottom bracket) it's ~12.5 inches, though this will vary with the amount of compression occurring during a ride and this will change by 10mm according to the adjustment of the flip chip (I think).
What terrain are you mostly gone a ride?

·
Registered
84 Posts
East coast US forests and trails. Like these:
Not a lot of huge rocks (like out West) but mostly roots and rocks, partially buried in the ground. Thanks.
So I'm on the east coast myself. Lot of roots ! Don't have much flow unless I go to kanuga. So I definitely recommend higher bb. JMO tho.

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I'm on the east coast myself. Lot of roots ! Don't have much flow unless I go to kanuga. So I definitely recommend higher bb. JMO tho.

Thanks for the input. I'll have to get out and ride the bike to see what happens. Kanuga. That looks cool. Didn't know about it.

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Buy a 160mm air shaft for the fork and put it in high mode. Will give you about same geometry as low mode, add 10mm travel up front and will raise the BB quite a bit 15mm/.6 inches (no more pedal strikes).
I really like that idea! I'll ride the bike for now and experiment with the frame settings. Truthfully, it depends on what I'm riding and the propensity of potential rock strikes. I'm an old dude who rides like I surf (not extreme - at least not yet. The bike might change that). :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Trance X 3 and I am getting a lot of pedal strikes, haven't done anything to help it yet except run the rear shock in trail mode, but I was thinking of running less sag in the rear shock and moving to 165 cranks when they come back in stock (bike comes with 170) and maybe some thinner pedals, using Chesters now

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I have the Trance X 3 and I am getting a lot of pedal strikes, haven't done anything to help it yet except run the rear shock in trail mode, but I was thinking of running less sag in the rear shock and moving to 165 cranks when they come back in stock (bike comes with 170) and maybe some thinner pedals, using Chesters now
I think that's a good idea (less sag). I'd be inclined to experiment with adding a little more air to the shock and reducing the sag to 15%-20% to see if that helps. Experimenting withe the DPS modes (open, trail, locked) seems to be an option as well, as you mentioned. If you do go to a shorter crank, let us know if that helps. Here's a conversation on the Ripmo having pedal strikes from a couple years ago and there's some good suggestions on shock adjustment and shorter cranks: Ripmo XL - a ton of pedal strikes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.