Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the Trance is starting to show up in the shops, who can post the weights. I would especially like to know the frame weight of medium and large Trances.

G

·
barrows said:
Now that the Trance is starting to show up in the shops, who can post the weights. I would especially like to know the frame weight of medium and large Trances.
I weighed a large Trance 2 at my LBS today. It was 29.4 lbs on a digital scale.

·
Registered
920 Posts
barrows said:
Saturday July 2 brought home a new Trance 4. Size 20". Pure stock, with reflectors and all. Weight on my digital scale 34lbs. 0oz.!!!!!!!!!!!!

For comparison, my NRS, dirty and all, weighed 26lbs. 12oz. at the same time on the same scale.

I can't believe I spent over ?1000 and gained more than seven pounds. Oh, well, I'll feel better soon."

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Trance 2 in medium

weighed in at 28.8 on a digital scale, porky little sucker. If you threw some X-max and some carbon figer parts you could get it down to low 27s. I hear the Trance 1 is closer to 26 which is reasonably light IMO. I hope they come out with a carbon frame because i'd like get a trance....

·
Registered
460 Posts
1-bar said:
weighed in at 28.8 on a digital scale, porky little sucker. If you threw some X-max and some carbon figer parts you could get it down to low 27s. I hear the Trance 1 is closer to 26 which is reasonably light IMO. I hope they come out with a carbon frame because i'd like get a trance....
It's the frame weight, mine weighed in at 6.5lbs which is pretty heavy for that type of frame. Most weigh in the 5 Lbs range. My complete bike weighs's 27.2 lbs and that my bike has some pretty high end parts just to get the weight down. The Trance 1 weighs the same as mine. I do not think they will come out with a carbon trance frame due to the junction at the BB.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Far as a Iremember when I weighed my XL/22" Trance3 stock w/ the Shimano 505 pedals (heavy as hell, could prob loose nearly a pound by replacing them) it comes with it was 32lbs.

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
My trance 1 is just a bit over 26lbs... My VT 2 last year was 27.5lbs...

The Trance is a far better fit for me!

Love that bike!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Trance 2 Medium

My trance 2 size 18" with XT Cassette, Carbon Monkey Lite Riser Bar, CrossMax XL wheels, stock tires (will be putting on slightly heavier ones today and going tubeless), computer, Serfas Arc Saddle (220g). Digital Scale = 28.8lb. Heavier than I envisioned, but it climbs better than my Sugar 3+. Still tuning the suspension....

Anybody with suggestions on where to save weight with this bike? How do they get the trance 1 down to 26 if it's the same frame?

matt

barrows said:

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
- Xmax SL are really light
- FOX F100RL is pretty light also
- Race Face Deus crankset is only 815gr w/ bb set
- Carbon post
- bars are as light as carbon ones! (5-10gr diff)

Here's your big difference!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yesterday I just received my 16" Giant Trance frameset w/RP3 and weighed it at the LBS scale. It measured at 6.7 pounds on an electronic fishing scale WITHOUT the integrated headset (meaning cups not pressed in), seatpost reducer, cantilever brake bosses, steel bottle cage bolts, and all easily removable stickers. The only things I could have done to futher reduce the weight was to remove the seatpost collar and give the frame a full degreasing.

The Fox Float RP3 was a 2005 model, so for those of you ordering now and expecting 2006's, take note.

The "integrated" FSA/Giant headset requires cups to be pressed into the steerer tube, so it is more of a zero-stack headset. However, the bearings are still separate from the cups, so in that respect it still is partially covered by Chris King's critique of that design.

I paid $850 with UPS Ground shipping included, from Bob's Cyclery in Idaho. It came from Giant very well packed against shipping damage.

That is actually quite a bit porky, worse than I had anticipated. But on the upside, the frame seems very stout. Coupled with effective suspension (don't know firsthand, but I had a 1st-gen Heckel before), it should work the way I want it to. But I suspect a fully built XT-level bike with a 32mm air fork will slump at around the 27-28 pound mark. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My trance 4 is INCREDIBLY heavy..and 34 Lbs sounds about right, which is crazy!!
Even so I dont feel it when im climbing and I actually enjoy climbing on it more then my 25 Lbs haro XLS i had.

Im hoping to lose the fork soon seeing how it weighs 4.8 Lbs,
Although im going to add the weight again with some disc brakes.

Whats the next part to shave weight? Wheelset?
Or maybe the Tires and crankset?
I always thought the firex was reasonably light

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Domdil said:
My trance 4 is INCREDIBLY heavy..and 34 Lbs sounds about right, which is crazy!!
Even so I dont feel it when im climbing and I actually enjoy climbing on it more then my 25 Lbs haro XLS i had.

Im hoping to lose the fork soon seeing how it weighs 4.8 Lbs,
Although im going to add the weight again with some disc brakes.

Whats the next part to shave weight? Wheelset?
Or maybe the Tires and crankset?
I always thought the firex was reasonably light
Yeh wheelset would be a very good weight saving move and would seriously lower your rolling resistance. Switching to alighter fork w/ better features would also save at least a pound - REBA SL 3.5lbs - I did it and am very happy going from the DUKE XC (4+lbs) to the REBA SL. Absolutely love the Motion Control system.

I agree with you I really only notice the weight of my T4 when I actually lift it and more so when I lift other lighter bikes at the same time. Yes a nice new set of XT External BB crankset would be nice and also drop you maybe a 1/2lb to 1lb, however if I was you I'd just ride the bike till something breaks before going for replacments. Only thing I could seriously recomend right off the bat is the fork upgrade as I do lots of climbing and totally hate fork bob (wastes a lot of energy and makes you work a lot harder), but if you can hang with the current fork I'm sure there'll be some super sweet stuff coming out for '06.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Can't even get one here...

You guys are lucky! Up here in Canada (Montreal area) we can't even get them! I REALLY want a Trance frame (size 16") and would have considered getting a complete bike and even those are not available. Right now, the dealers are calling the distributor and he says that I'll have to wait until next year if I want one. I'll have to rie my GF Sugar for the rest of the year... really have to change my bushings now if I want (...have to...) ride my bike for the rest of the biking season...

If anyone knows where I could get a 16" frame...

Regards from Canada,

Johnnydrz

·
Registered
260 Posts
hey, why not just look on ebay or online for a trance frameset? and if you have to, maybe just buy the trance 4 online if you can and strip the parts. I heard someone paid $850 for the trance frameset, and the trance 4 retails for $1200 as a complete bike. So i dont see why you couldnt be able to find a trance 4 for around 1000. And in my opinion its the nicest looking trance frame ! love the dark blue

·
Registered
476 Posts
Trance frame only...

I have looked on the net... no luck yet. Buying the Trance 4 would make sense except I would have to upgrade the shock... I want the RP3.

If I can find a Trance frame on the web, I'll probably buy it! The places I've looked so far were out of 16".

I'll keep lookin'.....

Johnnydrz

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
BigJay said:
My trance 1 is just a bit over 26lbs... My VT 2 last year was 27.5lbs...

The Trance is a far better fit for me!

Love that bike!
I think you might want to try a different scale. There is no way your VT2 was lighter than a NRS 2 unless you have a lot of modifications. The VT2 is mucher closer to 29lbs.

·
Registered
460 Posts
1-bar said:
I think you might want to try a different scale. There is no way your VT2 was lighter than a NRS 2 unless you have a lot of modifications. The VT2 is mucher closer to 29lbs.
I have to agree with 1-bar, it would cost a fortune to lighten a VT2 that much. I worked on a Vt1 today and it is a monster.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
all the Toronto shops have them in stock. Cycle Soultions, Gears, Sporting Life etc.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts