Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Giant riders etal. I just bought and will be building up a new Giant Trance 2, I'm so giddy, but the goody box did not come with a fox manual, and the Reba fork looks complicated to tune. Does anyone have any tuning tips? I weigh 190 lbs (86 kg).

·
I work in .001 tolerances
1,245 Posts
Fox manual

turtle said:
Hey Giant riders etal. I just bought and will be building up a new Giant Trance 2, I'm so giddy, but the goody box did not come with a fox manual, and the Reba fork looks complicated to tune. Does anyone have any tuning tips? I weigh 190 lbs (86 kg).
You can find the Fox manual on thier website under the technical section. I had to do the same thing with my Trance frame and RP3 shock.
Just print it out for referance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
turtle said:
I also weigh 190, riding a 20" Trance with a Black Elite 100/120 & RP3 shock. So far I don't have a definitive answer on whether the RP3 air pressure results in the same spring rate as a Float R at equivalent air pressure but I suspect it does.

Here's my experience:

1. I'm running the shock at three clicks from full fast rebound.

2. to get the recommended (by Fox) 9-10mm of sag (measured o-ring on shock to outer shock body), I have to put 170+ lb of pressure in the shock. The ride is firm but good. This feels good for smooth/packed trails. I never come close to bottoming the shock with this pressure.

3. setting it up so it never bottoms but comes close on the most technical trails I ride results in more like 12mm of sag standing still. The ride is obviously more plush and active and it soaks up rock gardens and rough terrain just gorgeously in this setting. This takes about 160psi. I don't notice any other handling effects. In all but the smoothest trails, this is how I set it.

4. setting it up so it bottoms occasionally on the most technical trails I ride (as in how you would set up a DH bike) results in more like 15-20mm of sag. The head angle is very obviously slack in this case. The bike is very plush and feels like it'll descend anything like this, especially with the fork flipped to 120mm... It'll bob noticeably climbing like this, even with the RP3 pedal platform on max, and I get an occasional pedal strike cornering. 150psi.

5. IDK how to set up the Reba fork. I'm running the stock spring in my fork at about 15-25% sag and it has never bottomed no matter how hard I ride or down what, but it's come close.

6. Your choice of stem, saddle position, height, terrain, center-of-gravity (aka body type) all will affect this!! I'm about 6-0 and just under 190 with long arms & legs and upper body muscle typical of a cyclist (as in, nonexistant), riding a 90mm stem and seat post with setback, 3/4" riser bar.

So, if I'm riding a mostly-smooth trail where I want to hammer, I run 170psi in the shock, pedal platform on middle, and the fork on 100mm. The bike feels like a tall XC race bike this way... kind of an NRS jacked up 1.5" higher off the ground. If I am running a moderately-technical trail that I am familiar with, 120mm fork setting and 160psi in the shock and middle platform setting on the shock. If I'm riding technical trails that are new to me or I need extra stability margin, I'll run 150psi, max pedaling platform and fork on 120mm.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well in the little time I had my T3 I had it set up as follows- I'm sposed to be around 175-180lbs and 6' 3" and was using 175 lbs in the Float R to achieve the 9mm of SAG and it still feels pretty nice and plush, but peddle bob is reduced a bit. I have to ride raods to the trails so it's a compramise, if I was only riding trails I'd prob run 160-165lbs. I never saw the O-ring get to bottom out or felt it - prob had a few mm left on the shock travel. Maybe I'm a bit heavier than the scales say I'm not sure, but like Sharprocks I'm not big anywhere :D and really like how the bike came setup. I ride a 22" / XL.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think I'm settling on 165psi until (and unless) my weight changes significantly. That's about 88% of my weight.

I rode Friday with it on 170, felt too firm. Rode yesterday 165, just right.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well I just got my REBA SL to replace my DUKE XC that came with my T3 so I'll post any findings I get on it for you. SO far I like the motion control, especially for climbing and am still playing around with the positive and negative pressures. Still getting used to all that cush and handling the Trance delivers

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well as I said I'd report back my findings on setting up the REBA on my T3 so here goes. I tried 120 pos/100 neg but the ride was a bit to harsh for me - didn't think I was getting enough travel on the fork and was feeling everything on the trail. So now I'm @ 100 pos/ 80 neg and it feels pretty good, don't feel every little rock or rut on the trail and handlings nice. I'm not sure if I've lost weight or not (no scale in the home) but if I fluctuate I'm between 165-175. Rebounds set 1.5 turns from fast

As for the Float R I've settled on around 180 and 2 clicks from fast and it feels quite nice and I'm getting more travel on the shock and peddling actually seems to feel better.

I'll try and weigh myself properly and check the pressure with an accurate gauge - right now I'm using the shock pump that came with the T3.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts