Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever compared Trance/Reign vs Titus Monolite? Could you share your experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
The trance and moto lite is a better comparison. The Moto lite uses Santa Cruz's VPP while the Trance uses Giants version of VPP (no licensing fes thus less expensive). I would say its pretty even in every area and if cost is an issued than go TRANCE. The only real advantage of the Moto lite is the in the weight of the frame which is 1/2lb to 3/4lbs lighter. Oh one other thing, the shock position of the moto lite is change settings while riding. On the flip side, the lower shock position on the trance is better because it lowers the center of gravity. You can't loose with either but the Trance is a better value bike by far.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i believe the Moto lite uses a horst link rear end, not VPP. Anyhow 1-bar is right that the trance more comparable to the moto lite in travel and intended use.

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Right the Motolite is a true Horst link. And, I don't think it's anything like the Trance or the Reign. The Trance is set up to be a 4X4 racer where the Motolite is a 5 inch frame and most people are using a 5+ inch travel forks. Here's mine with a Pike.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ride comparison

Tx guys for the info. Would appreciate if anyone could share riding experience on the Trance vs Motolite.

·
Motion activated
3,256 Posts
I ride a custom Reign and my wife has a ML. We ride some pretty chunky trails with lots of square edge impeded rocks. The Reign's suspension does a considerably better job of rolling this type of stuff (up & down) than the ML. The Reign also has less bob. I think a better comparison would be the Iron Horse Mk II vs the ML as they both weigh about the same and have the same amount of travel. Having owned three horst link bikes, I feel that the DW-link/ Maestro suspension is just hands down better. When it comes time to replace the wife's Moto Lite, she'll be looking a something with a DW/Maestro link.

·
Registered
692 Posts
not really

The Iron Horse frame is a pound heavier than a Motolite. On the 2 above mentioned, I've never seen another bike brand in all my years of mountain biking that dents as easy as a Giant. The reign definitely has a very point and shoot feel to it, I must admit.

·
Motion activated
3,256 Posts
artsn said:
The Iron Horse frame is a pound heavier than a Motolite.
.... and the Reign is almost two pounds heavier and has 1" more travel.

I've never heard that Giants are dent prone before… where did you hear that?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Interesting

I though the reign was a 5.6 in bike not 6 in. Don't get me wrong they are nice rigs, I have some saddle time on one. Ask any of your buddies who are shop rats they dent EASY. I myself actually dented a VT1 fairly badly on a honest to goodness not so burly ride. Got back to the trailhead and looked down at the toptube and to my dismay a quarter size dent. I ride alot in the rocks( socal), but this was not a dh trail by any means. It's not a big deal they make really nice bikes for the money.

·
Motion activated
3,256 Posts
artsn said:
I though the reign was a 5.6 in bike not 6 in. Don't get me wrong they are nice rigs, I have some saddle time on one. Ask any of your buddies who are shop rats they dent EASY. I myself actually dented a VT1 fairly badly on a honest to goodness not so burly ride. Got back to the trailhead and looked down at the toptube and to my dismay a quarter size dent. I ride alot in the rocks( socal), but this was not a dh trail by any means. It's not a big deal they make really nice bikes for the money.
Giant do tend to go for the larger diameter tubing for stiffness, at the expense of wall thickness.... but I've never heard any complaints about the Reign. I've flogged the hell out of mine on our steep rocky XC and lift serviced DH. All we've got here in Colorado are rocks. So far it is holding up better than the Turner that it replaced. But you know, maybe I've just been lucky this season.

I'd be nice to see more Boutique builder move to the Maestro/ DW-link...... but until then I wouldn't even consider riding anything else. Ironically it is the least expensive FS frame I've bought, but also the best riding...... time will tell with durability.

The think that I really admire about Titus is that fact that they go to the trouble to make a lot of their bikes to fit women under 5'2".

·
Friendly Neighborhood MTBer
279 Posts
RC from MBAction had this to say...

Q. I am currently riding a Trance 2 with Fox Float R and Reba SL fork. I am 5'10" and 205 lbs, and we ride rocky eastcoast single track. You have given this bike good reviews, but to me The bike feels mushy, and I have to run the rebound full slow w/ 210 lbs air to get any kind of acceleration on the trails. Paved and dirt road sections seem to take a lot of extra pedal effort. Recently I rode a moto lite a friend has, and could not believe how much more efficient it felt. Is this just my imagination, or do I need to buy a Titus? Would a RP23 shock help? Thank you.
Doug/mbaction.com - 1/15/2007 7:59:53 PM

A. RC: Well, if you had read our test on the Titus Moto Lite, you would know that we would have chosen it over the Giant Trance. Clydesdale-class riders usually need much more pedal platform than most bikes are set up with. A Fox RP-3 Shock will help, but you will get more performance and better pedaling if you send your stock shock to Darren at Push Industries (www.pushindustries.com) for a re-valve and some extra pedaling platform. Or, you could sell the Trance and get a Moto Lite. I have one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts