Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've just bought my first full sus bike - it's the 2007 Trance 2, which I managed to haggle a significant discount with my LBS so I'm well happy!!

As a complete novice to full sus rigs, I was wondering how many clicks of rebound on the rear shock you people ride with? I've matched my PSI to my bodyweight at 155, which seems to give me the exact amount of recommended sag.

Hope this isn't too much of a dumb question.... just that I don't really feel experienced enough to go with my own judgement quite yet.

The riding I do is nothing extreme - a weekly blast down some rooty forest single track, rarely get airborne, when I do it's only about a foot or so.

Hope you lot can point me in the right direction!

Cheers,
Neil.

· mmm
947 Posts
It's different for everyone. Easiest way is to start with rebound all the way fast.

Ride off a curb. If you feel the rear bounce more than once. Turn the rebound down a click.

Repeat above until the shock only compresses once from the curb drop.

· Registered
23,945 Posts
Tried and trusted

TH has it right, that's the best way to get a starting point before you head out onto some trails. Then once you're out on the trails adjust to suit.

timehoc said:
It's different for everyone. Easiest way is to start with rebound all the way fast.

Ride off a curb. If you feel the rear bounce more than once. Turn the rebound down a click.

Repeat above until the shock only compresses once from the curb drop.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I've just tried the kerb test and I only seem to need two clicks of dampening from a possible 8. doesn't seem much..... is it because (being a lightweight) I'm running it at a fairly low psi and therefore don't need a lot of dampening??

· Registered
23,945 Posts
It's a starting point is all....

.........now go ride on some real trails and fine tune it so it feels right to you. ON more bumpy trails you might find it OK or might need adjusting - remember the original setting you went out with and go find a nice piece of trail now try it out, then try it with slower rebound, keep trying to see what it feels like. Now go try the same piece of trail w/ faster rebound. Only you can determin the settings for your bike.

neil_uk said:
Thanks, I've just tried the kerb test and I only seem to need two clicks of dampening from a possible 8. doesn't seem much..... is it because (being a lightweight) I'm running it at a fairly low psi and therefore don't need a lot of dampening??

· Registered
170 Posts
the seated curb drop is the easiest way to get it right. im running 170psi, at 160lbs riding weight, and my rebound is 3 clicks clockwise from full slow, i go one click faster for harsh rocky sections (up or down) and one slower for smooth sections that have alot of rollers/jumps and such.

· Registered
1,142 Posts
It's a matter of experimenting, I've found for me that generally somewhere around a few clicks from fast seems best. Trails I ride seem to vary from rolling to rocky so there always seems to be a bit of give and take. 5 clicks is noticeably too slow in some terrain and 2 clicks seem a bit fast in other terrain. I'm still learning myself but I imagine the back should rebound a bit slower than the front?

I rode around for ages after I first got the bike at full fast rebound (maybe one of the kids played with the knob) without realizing and it seemed pretty good! I'm pretty lightweight though (around 60kg).

I love how the rear always soaks up the small bumps and feels comfy & plush but not energy sapping when you hammer the pedals like the fork.

· Registered
170 Posts
energetix said:
It's a matter of experimenting, I've found for me that generally somewhere around a few clicks from fast seems best. Trails I ride seem to vary from rolling to rocky so there always seems to be a bit of give and take. 5 clicks is noticeably too slow in some terrain and 2 clicks seem a bit fast in other terrain. I'm still learning myself but I imagine the back should rebound a bit slower than the front?

I rode around for ages after I first got the bike at full fast rebound (maybe one of the kids played with the knob) without realizing and it seemed pretty good! I'm pretty lightweight though (around 60kg).

I love how the rear always soaks up the small bumps and feels comfy & plush but not energy sapping when you hammer the pedals like the fork.
strange that, i personally think that even on the slowest setting the rear end is still a little fast for my liking (even though the kerb test puts me 3 clicks from slow)

this is either due to different personal tastes, or its due to manufacturing tolerances in our rear shocks.

im considering having mine pushed anyways :D

· Registered
23,945 Posts
How about WEIGHT?

Energetix is about 50lbs lighter than you and more than likely is why the rebound settings are so different for her. Could also be difference in production one shock to the other. AFAIK they say the FloatR is setup for a 170-180lb rider, but to me also I don't think this is true as I find it lacking and without gear I'm just over 170lbs and with gear I'm over 185lbs.

Before you consider sending in your FloatR to be PUSHed consider just buying one of their already PUSHed RP3 shocks on sale for $250 - AND if all you SOBs go buy out the whole lot before I can get one I'll be very PO'd :p

The Great Stonk said:
strange that, i personally think that even on the slowest setting the rear end is still a little fast for my liking (even though the kerb test puts me 3 clicks from slow)

this is either due to different personal tastes, or its due to manufacturing tolerances in our rear shocks.

im considering having mine pushed anyways :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.