Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm switching all the bits over from my hardtail to a Trance frame. Trouble is, it seems that the rear dropouts on the trance are set too wide - they're about 137-138mm. Shouldn't be too much of a problem as they squeeze together on tightening up the QR. However, this deflects the stays enough to put the brake caliper (Hope Mini) out of true, so it's at an angle and seems impossible to set up right. The wheel runs through the brake fine until I tighten up the QR, then it's all wonky.

Anyone have a similar experience or know a solution? I'm guessing increasing the OLN width of the hub is the easiest, but it's a Coda Expert sealed bearing thing, doesn't look very easy to add extra spacers to.

Cheers
Ben

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Interesting

Never checked it closely, but I have noticed that the dropouts are pulled slightly together when you tighten the QR and I too also have a slight rub on my HOPE Mono Minis. Easy to fix really though, just add another spacer onto the axle between the two lock nuts n the non drive side.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I've cleaned and re-lubed a couple hubs, but hadn't even thought of "interfering" with the spacers that came witha bike (adding or subtracting) till the advice was given in a thread I believe in the brakes forum and I had to do it to my riding buddies stupid Trek FuelEX to get the rotor further away from the frame and stop the damn thing from rubbing.

Very simple, there's 2 lock nuts on the non drive side - one 15mm and one 17mm. Just loosen the 17mm and add/subtract spacer as needed then carefully tighten back making sure there's no play in the axle and that you don't over tighten it - that's the real complicated part. If you've got a book store near by or shop on Amazon just pick up Lennard Zinn's "Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance". Excellent book with just about everything you want to know about in fixing, repairing whatever on a MTB. If you're in a rush you could also visit the Park Tool website for very detailed instructions on just about anything also

sqwheeler said:
Thanks lynx - taking a hub apart is one of the few jobs I haven't done yet, so it's a good excuse to have a go I reckon!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.