Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode the 16" and 18" Trances this weekend and will likely buy one. I am 5'9 with 30-31 inseam. What size? Is anyone my height riding the 16" It felt a little better than the 18 but I don't want to regret my decision later. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am 5'7 and ride the 16" and don't have any problems with it. BUT i don't think it would fit me well if I were much taller and had to extend my seatpost and stem more. Go ride them again, I am sure the 16" has you in a more upright position, and the 18" will let you stretch out and get lower. Depends on what you prefer!

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
I'm 5.11 and ride the 18. To me, it's the perfect fit.

I don't think that a mountain bike should be sized according to your inseam but more in reference to your torso and arms. I like a shorter bike and when i stepped on the 20, i felt streched out. When i stepped on the 18, it felt just right.

My advice is to go for the 18 if you're in doubt. You can always get a stem 10mm shorter to get a more relaxed position.

Good luck!

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
GiantDS3 said:
Jay is probably right, go bigger. It is easier to make a bigger bike smaller then to make a smaller bike bigger. Isn't it?
...not always... but in that case it would be...

If he goes with the 16 and then get a 130mm stem... steering might not be that great!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I`m 5,10, 32" inseam about 180lbs the 16" fits me fine. I do have the seat post up a fair ways and changed out the stock bar riser for one about an inch higher the same length. I ride quite a bit of tight, twisty single track so the smaller bike is nice and quick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Giant trance x2 from 09 and was wondering if I could get replacement pivot bolts for the frame. I have had no luck searching the interwebs for someone that stocks these machined pivot bolts. While replacing the frame bearings I wound up almost stripping out one one that was seized.

·
kneecap
1,641 Posts
You guys like small bikes? Maybe lots of BMX history?
I'm 5' 11" with maybe 32" inseam, my knees will almost contact the bars on a med frame, & I've got a lot of seatpost showing on my large frame. However, I run a 65mm stem, maybe that's the difference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
O.P. I am the same height as you. I went with a small frame, and love it. I am usually between sizes on bikes, and the Med. just felt too stretched out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
im 5'10" with 31"leg and ride a 18" i feel it fits perfect,currently running a 40mm stem and 710mm bar but want to try a 50-60mm stem, certainly wouldnt want a smaller frame

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am 5'8" with 33" inseam. Riding a 14.5" (XS). The geo is almost the same as 16"
will change to 700mm bar and 50mm stem soon (670 and 70 now)
What's your bike now? I suggest you to measure the reach which IMO is more important. You don't sit on your saddle too much.

·
Registered
934 Posts
IMO depends on what you want to use your Trance for. If you want to use it as a play bike, want to flick it around or jump it and don't plan on riding too many hills get the 16" But if you want to ride hills, you want a bit more stability, you want to use it as a trail bike go the 18"

I'm 5 8" and generally like a shorter bike but ride a 18" with a shorter stem and 140mm forks, bike is awesome for all duties.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I am 5'8" with 33" inseam. Riding a 14.5" (XS). The geo is almost the same as 16"
will change to 700mm bar and 50mm stem soon (670 and 70 now)
What's your bike now? I suggest you to measure the reach which IMO is more important. You don't sit on your saddle too much.
that's tiny, you wont be getting up many hills quickly on that, bet its a fun bike though

1 - 16 of 16 Posts