Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all,

I have VT2 & thinking about updating to the new Giant Maestro susp.
Need feedback on which one you prefered.

I like my VT but it flex a little but can climb & jump got but I'm a bit worried on the Reign's long travel but & Trance's short travel like a hard tail.

Basicly, 4inches is too stiff/short & 6inches is a bit too much. I wish Giant build a 5inches 7 it would be perfect, I think?

Please let us know how your new Giant Maestro goes as I'm sure a lot of us Giant lovers are waiting for you expert review?

Kind Regars

·
Registered
22 Posts
wannabeRacer said:
Hiya all,

I like my VT but it flex a little but can climb & jump got but I'm a bit worried on the Reign's long travel but & Trance's short travel like a hard tail.

Basicly, 4inches is too stiff/short & 6inches is a bit too much. I wish Giant build a 5inches 7 it would be perfect, I think?

Please let us know how your new Giant Maestro goes as I'm sure a lot of us Giant lovers are waiting for you expert review?

Kind Regars
I have the Reign so this might be biased, but I would say go with the longer suspension. With the new SPV in the shock you can make this bike pedal as efficient as you want and if it is too plush for you, just pump up the pressure. My last bike was a Rocky Mountain Slayer with 4.75 inches of travel and it felt like a hard tail until I hit something big. The Reign soaks up everything, even the big stuff, but climbs just as well as my last bike, no peddle bob. This new SPV stuff I think will make bikes be able to have even more travel with less negative side effects.

Just my 2 cents.

·
telemarc
293 Posts
Go Reign

I have a reign 1 and my gal has a trance 1. I got my reign down to 28 lbs and her trance is 26.3. Not much difference in weight.If I pump up my shock it does all that the trance does and still gives me more suspension for freereide. If you are not jumping or doing drops go with the trance as it has plenty of cush for roots and logs. Otherwise go reign.

·
Registered
22 Posts
telemarc said:
I have a reign 1 and my gal has a trance 1. I got my reign down to 28 lbs and her trance is 26.3. Not much difference in weight.If I pump up my shock it does all that the trance does and still gives me more suspension for freereide. If you are not jumping or doing drops go with the trance as it has plenty of cush for roots and logs. Otherwise go reign.
Ok, how did you get your bike down to 28lbs? Mine is the 20" frame and it comes in at 31.8 lbs, I did just get some new tires that were 530 grams each and stans no tubes liquid. What else can I do to get the weight down?

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 20" Trance1 is right at 30 lb.

Build is like this:

Manitou Black Elite 100/120
DS2-XC/XT/14ga x32 wheelset
Hayes HFX-Mag brakes
RaceFace Evolve X-Type crank
Eggbeater S pedals
RaceFace Evolve 30.9mm seat post
WTB Rocket V saddle
140g Sette Venn 90mm stem
195g Titec Hellbent XC 1" riser bar
100g Oury grips
SRAM X.9 rear derailleur and rear shifter
XT front shifter
LX front derailleur
Ultegra 12-25 cassette
IRC Trail Bear 2.25" tires with Stan's NoTubes

To get 2 lb off of this bike would be very difficult. Probably could lose nearly 1lb on tires alone, half a lb on the fork MAYBE without a major sacrifice in performance. The other half pound would have to be distributed throughout nearly all of the other components. It's not like I have heavyweight stuff on here...

Trade the frame for a Blur... that knocks a pound right off!

A 20" Trance is not likely to easily get down to 26 lb or so without some serious sacrifices in components (flexy XC fork, gonna-break-any-day-now carbon handlebar & stem, maybe-it'll-stop Hope mini brakes, ow-my-hand-hurts thin grips, call-me-sprinter lightweight saddle, keep-my-credit-card ultralight crankset & drivetrain, better-not-hit-a-rock wheelset & tires).

With "trailbike" component selection (heavier tires, durable wheels, brakes that'll stop hard, adjustable travel stiff fork, affordable drivetrain parts, etc.), expect closer to 30 lb.

·
Registered
44 Posts
wannabeRacer said:
Hiya all,

snip

Trance feels like it has more than 4" of travel.... at least it feels like a lot more than my 3.5" Rocket 88. I have yet to bottom out the rear on mine. Has that VPP "bottomless" feel like a Intense or Blur. I would think a Trance compares favorably with a 4-bar bike with 5" of travel.

With the somewhat-shallow 70.5 deg. head angle, particularly with a 120mm fork (which slacks the head angle nearly another degree), the Trance is real stable descending but wheelies easily while climbing, particularly if you don't have a stable-platform shock or have an RP3 (Trance 1) with anything but the max platform setting, since you get out of the saddle and it compresses the rear suspension and makes it even easier to loft the front end. I would think a Reign would give up a lot to a Trance on climbing line stability, just as a Trance likely gives up a lot to the Reign on technical descents.

Don't underestimate the effectiveness of the 4.2" of travel on a Trance!

·
I work in .001 tolerances
1,245 Posts
30 lbs?!?

sharprocks said:

Wow... I own a 20" Trance that I built from the frame up and it weighs in at 27 lbs.
And thats with durable parts....

Here goes:
'03 Marathon S (105mm)
XTR 8 speed shifters
RaceFace turbine cranks
DS2-XC W/Formula disc hubs
Thompson seatpost
WTB SST 98 saddle (all time best saddle)
Sram Plasma derailluer
XTR shifter cables
Hayes MAG brakes
Truvativ Team stem (90mm)
Titec Hellbent XC bars
ODI lock on
Xpedo Stainless/cromo pedals
Specialized Roll-X pro tires (tubes)

You can see it on the "Trace build pics" Thread

Maybe you should try another scale...
Mine has been weighed at the shop after build up and at work.
P.S. lighter wheels are on the way..... :D

·
telemarc
293 Posts
Changes to Reign 1

The changes to Reign 1 are:
Race Face Deus crankset
XTR Cassette
Sram XO Rear Der.
Sram X9 Trigger Shifters
Maxxis High Roller Exception Tires
Maxis Ultralight Tubes
70 mm Deus XC Stem
Wellgo MG-1 Magnesium Flat pedals
Removed Big ring replaced with FSA Poly Carb Bashguard
Once again the frame is a 16" and bike weight is 28 lbs on the digital scale.

My wifes 14.6" trance 1 is totaly stock except Welgo MG-1 pedals and Maxxis High roller Exception tires and weighs 26.3 lbs.She's putting a talus fork on the trance when it is available(none in canada right now) and the bike weight will come up by .2 to .3 lbs..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Trance weight

I spent a long time researching last night trying to figure out if i should sell my vt and get a trance, i found out that a trance frame weighs the same as a vt frame 2.950kgs for a med +/- 5% for small or large..So why loose 1.75 inches of travel.for no weight savings?...i cant find a frame weight for the reign...Maybee i get a scott mc20 carbon 5 inch nice....

·
Registered
460 Posts
DIRTBURP said:
I spent a long time researching last night trying to figure out if i should sell my vt and get a trance, i found out that a trance frame weighs the same as a vt frame 2.950kgs for a med +/- 5% for small or large..So why loose 1.75 inches of travel.for no weight savings?...i cant find a frame weight for the reign...Maybee i get a scott mc20 carbon 5 inch nice....
My Trance bike weighs in at 25.88 lbs on a digital scale. Here are the specs:

05 Trance Frame 18"
05 Reba Race
00 Crossmax Disc
2.1 Weirwolf Race tires
XTR front derailleur
XO Rear derailleur/shiftters
Raceface Next Lp crankset
Spada Ti/carbon ISIS bb
Thomson post
Flite TT saddle
XT 4 piston disc brakes
Time Atac Carbon XS pedals (new ones)
Sram Cassette 990
Sram PC-99 hollowpin chain
FSA OS-115 stem
Aerus Composite Riser bars
Metawire cables

Getting the new Hayes EL Camino's soon also so will lose a little their also. The frame is 1 lbs heavier than most frames with the same travel. Kinda sucks. But it does ride like a dream.

·
Registered
44 Posts
HomegrownMN said:
sharprocks said:

Wow... I own a 20" Trance that I built from the frame up and it weighs in at 27 lbs.
And thats with durable parts....

Here goes:
Your parts with weights:

'03 Marathon S (105mm) 1985g
XTR 8 speed shifters 250g
RaceFace turbine cranks 610 + 250g for bb
DS2-XC W/Formula disc hubs figure 2200g whole set including skewers
Thompson seatpost 250g
WTB SST 98 saddle (all time best saddle) 280g
Sram Plasma derailluer 207g assuming rear?
XTR shifter cables ?? guess 100g total
Hayes MAG brakes 840g
Truvativ Team stem (90mm) 150g guess couldn't find listing
Titec Hellbent XC bars 200g guess 1" rise?
ODI lock on 100g estimate, varies up to 30g
Xpedo Stainless/cromo pedals 325g
Specialized Roll-X pro tires (tubes) 1360g both tires incl. 2x 150g tubes

You left out:
front derailleur 125g agv. weight for front der
chain 315g avg. weight for chain
cassette 300g avg. unless you have some ultralite
rim tape 50g real low estimate

assuming the frame is 6.6 lb ~3000g, then that's a total of 12,897g or about 28.4 lb

FWIW I am running the same brakes, handlebar, similar wheelset (same rims, mine XT hubs) and very similar (weight-wise) fork, seat post, saddle, stem, crank, front derailleur, chain... presuming... and I'm running lighter pedals, much lighter cassette, lighter shifters but a little bit heavier rear derailleur... and heavier tires but with Stan's notubes which is lighter overall than tubes + rim tape (drops maybe 200g total)... and my gram-math says my bike should be 28.51 lb. My scale says it's a pound heavier but I need to clean the mud off and weigh it again.

So unless you got REAL lucky on very low-end weights on nearly all the components, then 27 lb may be an error. I mean, 1.4 lb is a LOT. You can do that by going to a much lighter wheelset, but you sacrifice a lot of durability.

·
Registered
408 Posts
OK, I'm still confused as to which frame to get. I'm also currently riding a VT (custom built) and it's a bit heavy but that's mostly due to my Sun SingleTrack wheelset, tubes/tires, and older Specialized body geometry saddle (won't give that saddle up - too comfy). Why does Giant continue to use crappy/mediocre rims? The only thing I want to keep is my fork: Manitou Black Super Air 120/100 - light and plenty stiff with 120mm travel. I'm no stuntman, so I keep my occassional jumps under 3-4 footers - nothing too crazy, but the VT just makes those landings soft. I used to ride an NRS several years ago and I was always afraid that I would crack the frame if I hit anything over 2 foot and the 3.5" of travel just didn't make for an all around trail bike...

What am I looking at for weight if I get myself a stock Reign 2 and swap out the fork? Should I leave the stock fork on? What single component needs to be changed first and foremost on the Reign 2? How are the stock rims?

·
I live to bike
2,423 Posts
wannabeRacer said:
Hiya all,

Kind Regars
Switching from a VT, you'll probably want the Reign. However, why get a new bike? The VT 2 is an awesome bike, and as you say yourself, it's 5.7 inches travel is perfect.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Jwiffle said:
Switching from a VT, you'll probably want the Reign. However, why get a new bike? The VT 2 is an awesome bike, and as you say yourself, it's 5.7 inches travel is perfect.
I would keep the VT frame, if your happy with it, that's what count's most. Just upgrade the parts as they wear out or break. If you want to keep the weight down buy lighter but durable parts.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Only time will tell us what the future for this new frame & suspension. I say stay tune for more beautiful rides........ :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts