Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we know the t1 weighs around 26pounds @ 4' r1 around 30pounds @6' travel ,its a hard decision, travel,weight etc. I've been pondering a decision for months.I currenty own a vt2 suped up abit..weighs in at 28.5 in a large. my girlfriend also rides a vt 1 small standard out of the box at 28.5 pounds. I am also aware that to have a successful business you need to lead your competitors by consistantly producing new and different products.If giant had just changed the paintjobs on the nrs and ac they would become old or stale.
like kona...nothing new there as far as im awere. exept the paint again. so to lead, the frames must be new and different and aspire to the greater. This does not mean they are going to be better. Look at specialized still using fsr, why would i want to go back to fsr......when i can try something new...like maestro..vpp etc,.hey theyv'e got me....then i thought.....theres nothing wrong with my vt, its perfect...has almost as much travel as the reign, but weighs less and can be built up even lighter again. basically its in between the trance and the reign...i am confused as to why its being dumped..Here in Australia 05 is still a vt supply only. So i will wait and spend the cash on getting my vt to 26 pounds 5 & 5.75 @ 26 pounds...Nice...ps if it worx, don't fix it.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Stock VTs weighed over 30lbs, except for the VT1 which was perhaps 29-30.

The VT was a single pivot bike, and it relied on the SPV shock to make it pedal well.

The maestro will pedal better in more gear combinations and doesn't rely so heavily on the SPV shock to make it pedal well. You simply get better suspension ability and pedaling out of it. The seatpost is also a lot longer, and while not full length, it should give anyone who owns it full-range of adjustment, all the way up or down, which the VT can not do either.

I'd be suprised if a VT frame really weighed under 7lbs, but the Reign seems to be a little bit more agressive bike as well, a little bit more freeride oriented in the geometry and suspension department.

You should be able to order a VT still if that is what you want, but they won't have them forever.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'll go buy the rule, never buy first generation,even if its hard not to..

Hopefully they will lighten the frame for 06...
Jm. said:
Stock VTs weighed over 30lbs, except for the VT1 which was perhaps 29-30.

The VT was a single pivot bike, and it relied on the SPV shock to make it pedal well.

The maestro will pedal better in more gear combinations and doesn't rely so heavily on the SPV shock to make it pedal well. You simply get better suspension ability and pedaling out of it. The seatpost is also a lot longer, and while not full length, it should give anyone who owns it full-range of adjustment, all the way up or down, which the VT can not do either.

I'd be suprised if a VT frame really weighed under 7lbs, but the Reign seems to be a little bit more agressive bike as well, a little bit more freeride oriented in the geometry and suspension department.

You should be able to order a VT still if that is what you want, but they won't have them forever.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Think I will stick with my VT 2 also.........................

I too will wait to see how this first model year goes. My VT 2 is super! Although, I would be interested to hear what you(Dirtburp) did to get your Large ( 20"?) down to 28.5 lbs. Thanks Jeff

·
Trance 06
34 Posts
I agree DIRTBURP. A lot of hype about the new Maestro suspension. As a owner of an 2002 AC1, I almost bought into the marketing hyperbole and almost ordered a Trance frame set. I'll give it time and after some reviews I may reconsider. But then theres always the Turner 5 Spot or Flux. I know it costs a little more then 2 Trance frames, but it remains the same year after year. Why change it if it works great.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
my 28.5 pound large vt

i bought the vt 2, had a mate that bought an xtr groupset from china i paid him 1500 australian for it, bought the xtr wheels second hand but only 1 month old for a grand australian. fitted it all up and put maxxis larsen 2.35 tyres witch arnt that light.thats it.
I still have to change the ea 50 bars, post and stem to lighter ones. will be getting huchy pythons as well. this should make it even lighter. Does any body know how much weight can be saved by changing ea 50 bars post and stem to ea monkey light bars tompsom post and ligter stem once that is done ill have all the parts i need. the original vt parts will go back on when i sell the vt. Does anyone know where to get ti bolt kits made or supplied.??? can save heaps of weight is thie department. i worked out that by changing post to easton ea 70 bars to monkey lite sl carbon, stem to ea 70 and fitting larson 26x2.0 exeption tyres i can get the weight down to 26.861 pounds this still leaves the time alum pedels witch are heavy and the seat which is mid level weight..

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
My VT2 is 29# and with some $$$ can shave some more weight.

I run a Black Super, Thomson posts, Maxm bar, Xmax, XTR mechs, XT hydros, XT cranks, Candy pedals.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do you think the vt looks nicer and neeter than the reign/trance

nice vt, very nice a GREAT TRAIL WEAPON I like the tompson stem...WHATS THE WEIGHT OF IT....ps they say the vt relies on the spv to work correctly, dont the fsr,s and walker beams, who cares as long as it worx....and why then does the trance and reign have the rp3/spv etc .........

·
2010 Glory custom FR
1,098 Posts
dirtburp, I think that another reasons why Giant introduced Maestro suspension is that they do not have exclusive rights for NRS system, anymore. the deal with Reanault Sport was signed for 5 years. Now, every company can have NRS bike. So, if Giant designers had to build new syspension system for XC, they made new enduro and FR frame, too. It think there was no reason to keep VT (besides the fact it was a success - I have VT2 and I love it) as Giant had new product which was claimed to be better :)

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
DIRTBURP said:
nice vt, very nice a GREAT TRAIL WEAPON I like the tompson stem...WHATS THE WEIGHT OF IT....ps they say the vt relies on the spv to work correctly, dont the fsr,s and walker beams, who cares as long as it worx....and why then does the trance and reign have the rp3/spv etc .........
The weight for the 100x5 stem is 191g, for the 30.9x367 setback post is 243g.

Here is the link for the weigths of all the stems http://www.lhthomson.com/elite_stem_sizes.asp

Here is the link for the weigths of all the seat posts
http://www.lhthomson.com/elite_sizes.asp

Hope this helps your search for lighter components.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Sounds like some great ideas although expensive!

Interesting what you wrote back could save some weight on the VT 2. Sounds like:

Change the EA 50 Seatpost to a EC 70
Change the EA 50 Stem to a EC 90 Monkey Lite
Change the EA 50 Handlebar to a Thompson
Change out the wheel set

I already have the Crank Bros Candy SL pedals, XTR Rear D., and the XT shifters. Run Maxxis Minatours when I want to cut down some weight vs the Hutchinson Scorpions.

Well maybe .....

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,208 Posts
Last I looked...

"The VT was a single pivot bike. "

Every VT that went out of our doors had four pivots, and even more bearings. I agree about the Maestro design. Having ridden the Trance and the Reign, the both outperform the 26.9 lb. VT that I rode hard for a year. The VT still is a great bike, it has simply been superceeded technologically.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
can you tell me

rideit said:

Every VT that went out of our doors had four pivots, and even more bearings. I agree about the Maestro design. Having ridden the Trance and the Reign, the both outperform the 26.9 lb. VT that I rode hard for a year. The VT still is a great bike, it has simply been superceeded technologically.
can you tell me if the trance feels as plush as the vt, because the 4 inches is ment to be linear, which do you preferr trance or reign.. and why,,,and what weight do you rekon you could get the reign down to.????

·
Registered
121 Posts
rideit said:

Every VT that went out of our doors had four pivots, and even more bearings.
Sure, but only one pivot between the BB and rear axle (the big one right next to the BB). The extra pivots just drove the shock.

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
spinjocky said:
Sure, but only one pivot between the BB and rear axle (the big one right next to the BB). The extra pivots just drove the shock.
Yep, you're right. Plenty of VT fans out there one way or the other!

I didn't know that about the Renault agreement. Interesting point.I guess you learn something new every day. Cool, I am done now!

I'd think NRS sales will slow down as the Trance gets more avaialble. The NRS has been a strong seller for quite a while...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts