Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
hipneck
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the lbs today and was measuring a Trance4 size large and the top tube isnt even close to what the website has listed (24.1) I was getting only 23.6 from center of top of head tube level to center of seatpost. The bike mechanic came up with the same thing. So whats the actual top tube on the XL? Does Giant have a rep that answers questions on this board? Any one ever try to find out why these numbers are wrong?

·
Registered
117 Posts
man-
i had the same confusion on a trance 2 16" frame this weekend.
i tried and tried to find the numbers they had in the catalog but just couldn't.
i am wondering if they had to change the specs from the time the catalog went to print to the time the bikes where actually produced.

i also noticed the catalog showed the reigns to have a slightly smaller stand over than the trance. how can this be when the reign has more travel?

i need to try and find someone that has both 16 and 18's on the floor to test ride.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
This seems to be an issue which has been discussed several times - when I measured my TT on my XL Trance3 I remember it being 24.5" I think, GIANT says it's sposed to be 25". Do a search for Trance and you should find more info.

·
hipneck
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, I'll try...

another search. Giant website states 24.8 for the xl. If its 24.5 then I could totally live with that. I guess I had it in my head that someone said only 24.0 for the xl and that might be a bit short for me without an offset post.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
John S said:
another search. Giant website states 24.8 for the xl. If its 24.5 then I could totally live with that. I guess I had it in my head that someone said only 24.0 for the xl and that might be a bit short for me without an offset post.
Prob is I have the bike here but no measuring device, so as far as I remember the TT was 24.5" but could be a bit less, but definitely not more. Prob is How to measure the TT accurately from person to person. I know You already got all the measurements for the XL frame in the other post don't know what else I could give you 'cept to tell you that there's nothing bigger than a XL in the Trance, it fits me well @ 6' 2 1/4" w/ the 100mm stem and seatback seatpost. I f I had a straigh seatpost I'd give it a try but I don't in that size.

OK I managed to find something and a level and in re-measuring the best I can say is actually 24.25"

·
hipneck
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks again......

24.25 I can live with that, thats a little on the small side for an xl but thats ok. There seems to be a real lack of "community " on this board and thats what bothers me most about buying a Giant product. The Trance is no doubt an excellent bike but over 300 views and only 2 people took the time to answer a simple question. Toptube length is very important and Giant should step up and post the actual measurments. Thanks to those who helped.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
John S said:
24.25 I can live with that, thats a little on the small side for an xl but thats ok. There seems to be a real lack of "community " on this board and thats what bothers me most about buying a Giant product. The Trance is no doubt an excellent bike but over 300 views and only 2 people took the time to answer a simple question. Toptube length is very important and Giant should step up and post the actual measurments. Thanks to those who helped.
I don't think there's a lack of community here, I think it's more that not a lot of riders ride a L/XL more are on say S & M so chiming in doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
62 Posts
To help out with measurements, I have a 2006 Trance 4, medium size 18".

Measuring from center of headtube to the center of the seatpost while holding tape measure parallel I get exactly 23". Bike was positioned on the ground and I used a level image on the wall as reference. Hope this helps anyone!

·
Slow Patrol
438 Posts
I just measured my '06 XL (22") and got 24.5" effective TT length. Giant claims 24.7". This seems in the ballpark. The exact specifics of how I measured and they measure could account for a couple of tenths.

·
Registered
371 Posts
don't feel bad. the number on giant's site for my NRS doesn't match up to what i measure on my NRS. seems to be a consistent problem with giant.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had the same problem...

John S said:
Was at the lbs today and was measuring a Trance4 size large and the top tube isnt even close to what the website has listed (24.1) I was getting only 23.6 from center of top of head tube level to center of seatpost. QUOTE]

I measured a 23.5" TT on my 05 20" Trance 1 which was fine for me because I usually ride a frame with that size TT. The only problem is the frame's TT is very high where it meets the headtube for a frame this size (which is normally sized as a 19"). That's partly because the head tube is so long. It also screwed me up because I had bought a zero setback seatpost anticipating an actual 24.1" eff. TT. I had to sell it and get a seatpost with some set back.

Some one from the other thread actually posted a message on Giant's website forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts