Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about building up a Trance, but I have a few questions. Any assistance would be appreciated.

What is the Bottom Bracket height?

What is the rear travel 4" or 4.2" (I have seen both, if 4.2" I would consider running the Reba fork at 115mm)

What is the required bb spec?

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Giant specs bottom bracket "drop" instead of height. That's because the height will vary with tires etc. They list it at .4". with my 2.25" tires, that translates into about a 13.4" bottom bracket height (my tires/wheels are 13.8" from the ground to the axle).

I have seen the 4.2" figure come from Giant, my suspicion is it's the correct number. However, you should know that running the fork on 115mm does not really have anything to do with the amount of rear wheel travel. The head angle is very noticeably slacker and the handlebar noticeably higher with a longer fork. This is not a bad thing. IMHO an adjustable-travel fork is just what this bike needs to really fully use its versatility. I wouldn't want to be stuck with JUST a >100mm fork, since the geometry does a lot of things well with a 100mm fork, but it does different things well with a ~120mm fork and it's worthwhile to be able to choose. Anyway my point is that the fork travel selection has more to do with geometry than it does how much travel there is in the rear.

Trance has a 68mm BB if I recall correctly from my build-up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the response Sharprocks. Unfortunately I have the Reba sl which needs to be manully set at either 100mm or 115mm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In that case, I'd try it at 100mm if either you ride mostly smoothish, twisty, fast/packed singletrack or you're a really high-skills bike handler. I'd put it on 115mm if you ride mostly rocky, technical singletrack with ledges, roots or scary descents, or if you just need a bit more margin. Basically, if on the trails you ride you find yourself getting off and pushing over a couple of sections or obstacles, then the longer fork may give you the confidence to ride what you would otherwise have walked. The tradeoff with the longer setting is that it slows down the handling a bit. Even on 100mm my fork is almost as long as yours would be on 115. If it were my bike, I'd put it on 115.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts