Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Giant seem to be unwilling to answer my question, so I'll pose it on here instead. Components aside, is there any structural difference between the frames on the Giant 1/2/3/4? I know the trance frame is available for $899 online in some places, but am wondering if it's different than any of the others...

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
gedmunds said:
Giant seem to be unwilling to answer my question, so I'll pose it on here instead. Components aside, is there any structural difference between the frames on the Giant 1/2/3/4? I know the trance frame is available for $899 online in some places, but am wondering if it's different than any of the others...
Far as I understood it before I got my T3 was they're all the same, just you have V-Brake bosses on the frameset and T1 and get the RP3. Oh and other difference is the Frameset is the same Blue as the T1. If you want a diff colour you'll have to maybe choose which colour you like and buy the complete bike. Personally I think that if the frameset sells for about $900 US and you can pick up a T3 for $1400 it ain't worth it to just buy the frameset ( I got mine for $1400) I like the silver of the T3 myself, other than that I like the T1 and frameset Blue.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, the tentative plan is to just buy the Trance 4 for $1,100 - as long as it's got the same frame as the Trance 1 - and just strip the parts off and rebuild it with parts I already have. All brand new Avid mechanicals, full SRAM X0, RF Turbine cranks, Mavic/XT wheels, et al - and use the parts from the Trance to build up a hardtail for my girlfriend.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stupid additional question

The Trance will take a standard headset, right? They've ditched the whole integrated smeg, and I could use my trusty Chris King?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HomegrownMN said:
Nope. They use a Zero stack (integrated) headset. Your CK will not fit/work.
Oh.

That.

SUCKS!!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
274 Posts
Zero Stack not the same as internal

The Giant frames I have used are not an integrated headset, as they have the pressed in bearing cups. The FSAs I have used have worked well, and lasted. At least for the XTc frames, GIANT's website says there is an adapter that allows use of a regular headset

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,208 Posts
a few years ago...

Inserts came with all of the framesets to retrofit stadard headsets to the Zero stack steer tube. PM me for one, I'll toss it in the mail. They were prone to some creakiness. I have had no problems with the Zero stack, and it reduces the stack height significantly.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
gedmunds said:
Oh.

That.

SUCKS!!!!
Well it's an FSA Orbit Z and sems pretty good to me and ALL the different version use it , it's not specific to the cheaper builds.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
gedmunds said:
There is that, I suppose - but man, I hate integrated headsets - I'm a firm believer in good ol' fashioned workmanship. This is a fantastic frame, but for me this is a huge flaw.

http://www.chrisking.com/tech/int_headsets_explained/int_hds_explain_2.html
Not at all.... all Giants use ZS headsets. Try to find anybody complaining about defective headsets on Giants.

Actually CK makes a ZS headset but you have to ream the headtube which makes for trouble.... if you find one and if there's a shop with the tool to do it... That's a REAL design flaw.

Don't believe the stuff CK says about ZS headsets... he's excusing his sorry arse for not being able to make a decent ZS headset.

·
Registered
460 Posts
LyNx said:
Well it's an FSA Orbit Z and sems pretty good to me and ALL the different version use it , it's not specific to the cheaper builds.
The Trance 4 and Trance frameset have brake bosses and the T3 & T4 do not have the bosses. The Trance framset comes with the RP3 and the other a Float R. That is the only difference.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
danmtchl - you just contradicted yourself, I know what you were getting at though, sorry- hate to be picky. ;)

Gedmunds - I plan on possibly doing the same thing, I want to swap all the parts from my current NRS over to a Trance frameset, and was also pondering getting a T4 and stripping it, then throwing all the T4 parts onto the NRS for a spare bike for friends, or selling it cheap to make the difference in mula spent.

Also, don't be worried about the Zero Stack headset, it is NOT integrated even though it might say on the website, misuse of words by the marketing department apparantly. Integrated and Internal are completely different. Integrated uses the frame itself as bearing cups, ZS (or "internal") still uses cartridge bearings and pressed in cups, and on the Giant's you get a larger diameter head tube that is stiffer and less prone to ovalization too. ;) If you feel the oem FSA Orbit Z won't cut it for you for some reason, Cane Creek makes a very nice ZS-6 headset.
Don't buy into the ChrisKing Propaganda, especially w/ the stupid price increases, who the heck do they think they are?

·
Registered
460 Posts
BikeSATORI said:
danmtchl - you just contradicted yourself, I know what you were getting at though, sorry- hate to be picky. ;)

Gedmunds - I plan on possibly doing the same thing, I want to swap all the parts from my current NRS over to a Trance frameset, and was also pondering getting a T4 and stripping it, then throwing all the T4 parts onto the NRS for a spare bike for friends, or selling it cheap to make the difference in mula spent.

Also, don't be worried about the Zero Stack headset, it is NOT integrated even though it might say on the website, misuse of words by the marketing department apparantly. Integrated and Internal are completely different. Integrated uses the frame itself as bearing cups, ZS (or "internal") still uses cartridge bearings and pressed in cups, and on the Giant's you get a larger diameter head tube that is stiffer and less prone to ovalization too. ;) If you feel the oem FSA Orbit Z won't cut it for you for some reason, Cane Creek makes a very nice ZS-6 headset.
Don't buy into the ChrisKing Propaganda, especially w/ the stupid price increases, who the heck do they think they are?
No the original question states "components aside what is the structural difference of the framesets." So no I am RIGHT

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
No the original question states "components aside what is the structural difference of the framesets." So no I am RIGHT
oh, sorry man, I was unclear, I think you just typo'ed when you wrote the numbers, that's all.

The Trance 4 and Trance frameset have brake bosses and the T3 & T4 do not have the bosses. The Trance framset comes with the RP3 and the other a Float R. That is the only difference.
you wrote the "Trance 4" has bosses, but the "T4" does not have bosses-?? - that's all I was getting at... so frameset/T4 has bosses, and T1/T2/T3 does not, just to clear up. No worries bro. ;)

That's apparantly why try not to be picky on these forums, everybody gets all hot headed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts