Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering if any of the new TRance owners had any issues with their chainline - either those who have built or bought stock like me. I was having trouble with my ears jumping if I was really mashing them using middle ring and any combo over 3. I even had play in the with my cranks so I removed the BB and found what I would term a really shi77y piece of BB - the Race Face SRX. The weirdest thing about it besides the fact that it's all loose and wobbly is the fact that the "cup" mounts into the drive side of the frame.

Anyways I remembered I had bought a set of Shimano crankset and BB for my old bike which turned out to be the same 68 size and a 113mm BB. I switched it for the RF crankset and BB and in so doing had to adjust the front derailer out about 3-5mm - VOILA no gear jumping when mashing them, no wobbly cranks.

Please if anyone else has bought a Trance (especially a stock version/bought pre-built) I'd be interested and if you just bought the fram and built it up, What BB and crankset did you use?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BikeSATORI said:
if you bought it new like that, and it was oem and jumping/wobbling all over, I definetly would've warranteed it!!
Yeh, that would have been nice but I've a small problem - I live on a small island 3,000 from the US which make sit a bit hard. Maybe they had a "recall" of sorts since I see that the web page for the Trance3 now lists the Truvativ ISIS BB instead of the Race Face SRX, I'll e-mail the LBS I got the bike from and see what they say.

·
Registered
216 Posts
LyNx,

I had an SRX in an NRS, and I toasted that thing real quick. I only weigh 145 and wasn't doing any jumping. Long story short.. they're the bottom of the ISIS barrel (which means they're reeeeeaallly bad). I've had good luck with the FSA Platinum Pro. Hopefully X-type will be a better standard than ISIS.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
carlo said:
LyNx,

I had an SRX in an NRS, and I toasted that thing real quick. I only weigh 145 and wasn't doing any jumping. Long story short.. they're the bottom of the ISIS barrel (which means they're reeeeeaallly bad). I've had good luck with the FSA Platinum Pro. Hopefully X-type will be a better standard than ISIS.
Yeh I figured that one out while searching for info on them. Even so I'd say less than 300 miles is more than really quickly, it's a downright lot of BS. I took a few drops (1.5' or less) and riden some roughish trails since I got the bike, but nothing that should distroy a BB. What pi$$es me off more is the fact that the El Cheapo BB that came in my crappy DB COIL X lasted out the 10 months of torture I put it through.

·
Registered
216 Posts
LyNx said:
Yeh I figured that one out while searching for info on them. Even so I'd say less than 300 miles is more than really quickly, it's a downright lot of BS. I took a few drops (1.5' or less) and riden some roughish trails since I got the bike, but nothing that should distroy a BB. What pi$$es me off more is the fact that the El Cheapo BB that came in my crappy DB COIL X lasted out the 10 months of torture I put it through.
Yeah, mine didn't last much longer than yours. One big fat muddy ride and it was all over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chainline problems with the trance

I know this is a little late from the original posting, but i know what the issue is and figured I'd throw out my knowledge for others.
The race Face cranks and rings are poorly designed and don't allow you to run middle ring and top cogs without it jumping off. Its just a crappy design, switch cranks, or at least the rings, to Shimano and it'll solve it right away. I've had that in the past on my AC with stock Race Face rings, and no amount of chainline adjustments would fix it, so I got a new crankset and Voila. As for the BB, yes, they are complete crap and fall apart in a matter of weks. You can keep warrantying it, which is a hassle, or you can just give in and buy a shimano, FSA or something else that works.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chrisclarkwhistler said:
I know this is a little late from the original posting, but i know what the issue is and figured I'd throw out my knowledge for others.
The race Face cranks and rings are poorly designed and don't allow you to run middle ring and top cogs without it jumping off. Its just a crappy design, switch cranks, or at least the rings, to Shimano and it'll solve it right away. I've had that in the past on my AC with stock Race Face rings, and no amount of chainline adjustments would fix it, so I got a new crankset and Voila. As for the BB, yes, they are complete crap and fall apart in a matter of weks. You can keep warrantying it, which is a hassle, or you can just give in and buy a shimano, FSA or something else that works.

hope that helps.
Yeh I actually kinda figure this one out too. I was so annoyed with the RF crankset and BB that I switched over to a old square taper Deore or lesser crankset and everything was fine. I then decided that the Shimano set was way heavy and switched the Granny and Big ring from the RF set to the Shimano set and no problems. Then I decide why not just put all the RF chainrings on and bamo same kinda crap, but not quite as bad of frequent as when using the RF set.

Well bad luck has struck now and I killed the Shimano set (too much power, to cheap a set) but the crankarm came loose of the spider (needs welding is all but haven't had the time to get it done) SO I've switched back to the complete RF set - even the BB - and cranked the crap out of the BB on install (barely noticeable play) and for some reason the chain jumping etc hasn't really been happening (get the occasional jump and it still drops off the middle ring to granny) but I can crank the crap out of a middlering/middle cassette combo and no skipping/jumping. I'm wondering if maybe the chainrings got worn in on the Shimano set or maybe it's the SRAM instead of Shimano chain. Anyways working for now, but I'll be looking at a Shimano XT crankset as soon as I can afford it.

·
I work in .001 tolerances
1,245 Posts
Not a complete bike but.....

I am running the new RaceFace Deus crankset on my Trance frame set up with the 68mm width, 2 spacers on the drive side, one on the non-drive. Didn't have any problems at first and then last week while climbing in the middle ring/largest cog I drop the chain once (figured it was a fluke) and the Snap! Broke the chain.
So I contacted Giant Tech and they told me they measured a 50 mm chainline but they didn't know what the spacer set-up was on the complete bikes....So....
I called RaceFace and they said that they suggested to Giant to run a 48mm chainline.
Chad @ RaceFace said that they make suggestions to the manufacturers on chainline, but ulitmatley it's the companys call on how to set them up and he said Giant likes to run really wide chainlines.
He suggested to move one spacer from the drive side to the non-drive side (on the bottom bracket) and keep the small spacers on the cranks the same....
So far, so good.
No crunching, no dropping, no breakage.
Just incase you needed to know.
Joe

FWIW Giant Tech Sucks! The guy I talked to said maybe my wheel was dished to the wrong side?!? I said sorry buddy, but the wheel's dish won't affect where the cassette sits realative to the crank. Then he said that because I choose to run an 8 speed cassette he can't help me because they don't use 8 speed anymore, only 9 speed. WTF! 8 speed and 9 speed take up the same amount of freehub body, just a tighter cluster...
Sad to say, but Chad at RaceFace was of more help than Giant.

·
Registered
19 Posts
problem with my big ring (??? ahem...)

Not sure if I pranged my outer big ring but I developed a loud clicking which I could feel harshly through the pedals when in middle ring and outer rear cog... on inspection I noticed that as I turned the cranks under load, the chain would catch against one of the ramp pins on the outer ring This happened as the ramp pin was at the top of the rotation (ok I know I didn't explain that very well) - Anyway..... I replaced the outer ring with the FSA from my 2005 trance 3 and this has cured it.

Maybe It did take a hit, or (as previously stated) the raceface chainset on the bike is a bit crap?

Neil

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1473977/

·
The Netherlands
85 Posts
neil_uk said:
I developed a loud clicking which I could feel harshly through the pedals when in middle ring and outer rear cog... on inspection I noticed that as I turned the cranks under load, the chain would catch against one of the ramp pins on the outer ring
Bingo!! I have the exact same problem! http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=328208

Concerns a 2006 Giant Trance 2 European version, which shares the American 2005 Giant Trance frame.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah this took me weeks to diagnose!

I eventually realised there was no doubt that it was the ramp pin catching the chain - as I could see it happening on the workstand.

I even put a different rear wheel and cassette combo in thinking maybe some wheels and cassettes have narrower hubs than others - to bring the rear throw of the chain inwards. (stupid i guess).

The next thing I did was try a KMC chain which is slightly narrower, and this helped slightly but didn't eradicate it.

Anyway since replacing the outer ring it seems to be cured. When I have some cash I will replaced the bb and chainset with something like a Deore LX

(Just had a case of paranoia.... I hope the rear of the bike isn't pulling to the right under load, as this would throw the chainline that way???)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts