Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
I work in .001 tolerances
Joined
·
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures of my brand new 20" Trance. Switched over from and NRS and havn't looked back yet. All in all, Giant said it best in there catalog: "This is our version of an XC bike with sag"; and it performs perfectly!
Here are the specs:
'03 Marathon S 105mm
Sun DS2 wheelset
Hayes Mag XC brakes
Thomson seatpost
Truvativ stem
RaceFace Turbine LP cranks
Sram Plasma R. Derailluer
Specialized Roll X pro tires
Xtr shifters
Enjoy!

P.S. It was 55 degrees here in MN and I couldn't resist taking some pics before the ride
 

Attachments

·
I work in .001 tolerances
Joined
·
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trance weigh in...

I weighed the bike complete with new pedals.(not in picture) Weighed in at 27 lbs. Not too bad considering I could loose some serious grams in the wheelset! (might have something new soon)
The frame was roughly a pound heavier than the NRS.

DIRTBURP said:
do you have the weight of it, did you weigh the frame before you built it up..???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
i have a vt with all xtr

HomegrownMN said:
I weighed the bike complete with new pedals.(not in picture) Weighed in at 27 lbs. Not too bad considering I could loose some serious grams in the wheelset! (might have something new soon)
The frame was roughly a pound heavier than the NRS.
I have a 20'' vt with all xtr including the wheel set ,tompson post etc, my bike weighs 26.9 pounds without pedals and a heavy ea50 bar,. i am trying to justify getting a trance but am concerned about weight. Buy any chance do you know the weight difference between the trance frame and the vt frame. this way i could get a good idea on the weight....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
DIRTBURP said:
I have a 20'' vt with all xtr including the wheel set ,tompson post etc, my bike weighs 26.9 pounds without pedals and a heavy ea50 bar,. i am trying to justify getting a trance but am concerned about weight. Buy any chance do you know the weight difference between the trance frame and the vt frame. this way i could get a good idea on the weight....
I have the 18" Trance frameset and the frame weighs 6.4 lbs. My complete bike weighs 26.5 lbs. There is a pic of it on the Trance ride impressions thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Nice ride, nice build. I just got a stock T3 and it's somewhere around 28/29lbs (haven't weighed it on a digital scale yet) In looking at your pics I might tend to say that maybe you should have leaned toward a 22" frame like myself as you've got a lot of pole up and a huge difference in height between saddle and HB - is that comfortable for you?
 

·
I work in .001 tolerances
Joined
·
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Frame sizing...

LyNx said:
I might tend to say that maybe you should have leaned toward a 22" frame like myself as you've got a lot of pole up and a huge difference in height between saddle and HB - is that comfortable for you?
Actually, I rode a 18.5" NRS for a couple years with no problems. If you look at the specs for the two frames, the 18.5" NRS and the 20" Trance are within a half inch of eachother. The only major difference is in the wheelbase. I personally have longer legs and a shorter torso. Makes for a odd fit on some frames, but I have no problems with the fit of the 20" Trance.
 

·
mtbr remember
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
nice ride, but holy smokes, you must be freakin' 7ft tall!! Doesn't all the blood get stuck in your head when your riding in that position? j/k :p
I am thinking about switching over all the parts from my 18.5" NRS to a Trance frameset too, but I'm unsure what size to get, I'm thinking 16.5" Trance, but I'll have to test ride a few that are complete to see what it feels like. ;)
 

·
I work in .001 tolerances
Joined
·
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trance sizing

Be carefull on the frame sizes between the NRS and the Trance. The NRS is more of a stretched out 'race' position, whereas the Trance is more upright 'trail' bike position. I tried a Trance 18.5" frame and the position is very tight. My knees almost contact the bar when pedaling, and I used to ride a 18.5" NRS frame. Make sure you try out the frame in the shop parking lot before buying.

P.S. the seat post was moved down before riding, the pictures were taken the day after building up and the post was just placed in the seat tube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Yes when I went shopping for a Trance, the bike shop guys all took one look at me and said "so you need the 18" right?". My last bike was a 19" Schwinn and before that 18" S-Works. I'm about 6'0" with 32" inseam.

The top tube of the 18" is way too short and the bike just felt WAY too small. 20" fits like a glove.

This is one of the big things that tipped the scale towards the Trance instead of my initial choice, Santa Cruz Blur. The SC bikes are just too short. The size L Blur is almost identical sizing and geometry to a 18" Trance, which is too small, but SC's XL Blur (which is nearly identical size to a 20" Trance) has steeper head angle and compromises other geometry making it unfavorable. Basically it's built with compact-style geometry like my S-Works hardtail.

The current "L" NRS has the same top tube length as a 20" Trance (24.1"). The current "M" NRS has the same top tube length (23.2") as an 18" Trance. For this reason I'd call the 20" Trance a "Large" and the 18" Trance a "Medium". A "Large" SC Blur, FWIW, has 23.3" top tube and is within 1/10" and a couple of tenths of a degree in every other dimension compared with an 18" Trance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
....but how does the frame on the Reign compare to the Trance? I'm 6'0 with a 32" inseam, should I be looking at a 20",instead of the 18"?
TJ
sharprocks said:
Yes when I went shopping for a Trance, the bike shop guys all took one look at me and said "so you need the 18" right?". My last bike was a 19" Schwinn and before that 18" S-Works. I'm about 6'0" with 32" inseam.

The top tube of the 18" is way too short and the bike just felt WAY too small. 20" fits like a glove.

This is one of the big things that tipped the scale towards the Trance instead of my initial choice, Santa Cruz Blur. The SC bikes are just too short. The size L Blur is almost identical sizing and geometry to a 18" Trance, which is too small, but SC's XL Blur (which is nearly identical size to a 20" Trance) has steeper head angle and compromises other geometry making it unfavorable. Basically it's built with compact-style geometry like my S-Works hardtail.

The current "L" NRS has the same top tube length as a 20" Trance (24.1"). The current "M" NRS has the same top tube length (23.2") as an 18" Trance. For this reason I'd call the 20" Trance a "Large" and the 18" Trance a "Medium". A "Large" SC Blur, FWIW, has 23.3" top tube and is within 1/10" and a couple of tenths of a degree in every other dimension compared with an 18" Trance.
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
woodenit said:
....but how does the frame on the Reign compare to the Trance? I'm 6'0 with a 32" inseam, should I be looking at a 20",instead of the 18"?
TJ
Take my words with lots of salt..... but longer legged frames require smaller sizes due to standover clearance and the ability to move than around while in the air. It's not weird to see DH and FR frames only in Medium or "standard" and small. Might not be the case of the reign.
 

·
make mine fixed
Joined
·
60 Posts
HomegrownMN said:
Be carefull on the frame sizes between the NRS and the Trance. The NRS is more of a stretched out 'race' position, whereas the Trance is more upright 'trail' bike position. I tried a Trance 18.5" frame and the position is very tight. My knees almost contact the bar when pedaling, and I used to ride a 18.5" NRS frame. Make sure you try out the frame in the shop parking lot before buying.
I currently ride a 20.5" NRS and noticed the upright position on the Trance 20" also. The bar is higher and closer. The Trance front end also wanted to come up on hills much more easily than the NRS. I also noticed when looking at the axle, it was behind the bar instead of being covered by it. Thus, I want to try inverting the stem and installing a flat bar to lower and stretch out more. If that's not enough, then I will order the 21".

I forgot to add that I'm 6' 2" with a 33" inseam.
 

·
mtbr remember
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
I am personally looking for a more upright "trail" position compared to my NRS. I have already changed around the geometry of my NRS quite a bit from stock, and esp. after adding the SGF rockers and the Float100rlc, it raised the whole standover height, which usually isn't a problem, until I hit super steep and gnarly technical areas where chances of crotching are very high. I would like more of a trail bike that is more comfortable on the decents than my NRS also, although I realize that this will sacrifice climbing, but w/ a Talas fork it might be more versatile.
It sounds like most of you guys expected this to be an xc race bike, not a trail bike. You should try a much longer stem and maybe a setback seatpost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
maestro = vpp

surely this new maestro suspension is a copy of santa cruz's vpp? did giant get rights to use it from santa cruz or have they tweaked it to avoid the patents?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
BikeSATORI said:
Not a copy... for sure... but similar and the same basic idea. Difference is in the fine details of tuning. Generally speaking, the Maestro, VPP, DW-Link & Schwinn Parallelogram (Rocket88) suspension designs are all in one family much like Horst-link bikes are all in one family.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top