Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
telemarc
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed after riding for a couple weeks that the cables on both our bikes are wearing throught he housing already.It seems they are designed to slide in the clips.Because of our small frame sizes the swingarm tube is right in line with the top tube and forces the cables through easily on both sides.. It took 4 zap straps to stop the cables from sliding.Now I am fighting Kinking problems as the distance between the swingarm and toptube is too short. Any ideas?

·
Registered
44 Posts
telemarc said:
I noticed after riding for a couple weeks that the cables on both our bikes are wearing throught he housing already.It seems they are designed to slide in the clips.Because of our small frame sizes the swingarm tube is right in line with the top tube and forces the cables through easily on both sides.. It took 4 zap straps to stop the cables from sliding.Now I am fighting Kinking problems as the distance between the swingarm and toptube is too short. Any ideas?
Yeah on my Trance, already worn thru the paint from my disc brake hose on the rear (paint on the seat tube worn)... only about 100 miles. Not a fan of this cable routing either. but zip-tying the cables to the sides of the top tube might be a good way to get around it (less kinking).

the cables do slide. i haven't noticed any housing wear. haven't looked tho.

·
A Midwesterner in Europe
116 Posts
There should be 2 "clips" on the side of the rear swing arm that holds the rear hydro hose, pull the one off that is closest to the front of the bike so that there is only one near the rear caliper. Worked for me.

For the rub you can use a clear "paint protective film" that 3M puts out. It's mainly used in automotive applications but, it works great on bikes.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/_l/en_US/_s.155/116943/_s.155/86661

Check it out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I put a Lizard Skins neoprene fork boot (cut off an inch or so) on the seat tube by the front derailleur cable stop. This should keep the cables from abrading the paint at that spot.

Put a holographic Oury Grips sticker (came with the grips) on the seat tube just under the seat collar near the triangle-gusset-thingy to keep the front der. cable loop from beating up the frame too badly.

And Pricepoint is nice enough to throw in about 10 Sette stickers with each order, so I stuck one on the front hockey-stick/hydroformed part of the downtube on the left side to keep the cables from abrading there.

On my Rocket88 the cables and brake hoses wore into the aluminum pretty deeply. It's a real problem!! I suggest putting neoprene patches of some sort or at the very least something where you can watch it and as it wears through, replace it, to keep it from wearing into the aluminum. I wonder if Giant would warranty a frame that cracked due to cable wear weakening a tube?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I noticed a few areas where there was a bit of rub on my T3 - 22" and used clear letering vinyl doubled up. Also used it on the down tube to help protect the paint and on rear swingarms.

·
Registered
20 Posts
carbon fiber

Lizard Skins used to make carbon fiber patches for this purpose. I don't know if they still make them. They look great and don't come off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts