Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried posting this last night, but it told me it was a duplicate post...i can't find it anywhere, so I apologize if it's a duplicate..

I've been waiting for my Trance 2 for a few months now, but no luck. The LBS just talked to the rep yesterday who indicated that the 18" that I'm waiting for will be "another 4 or 5 weeks."

The LBS indicated that the Trance 2 and 3 frames are identical. They offered to stick all the components from a Trance 2 on a 3 frame and sell it to me. We didn't talk price, but I assume it's the same as the Trance 2.

Should I take them up on this? Should I insist on a "discount" price? Should I use it as an opportunity to swap in/out other components I may want? Should I just wait until next year's Trance? I have a fully functional GF Sugar 3+ disc, so I'm not desperate, but would like an updated bike...

opinions?

matt

·
Registered
938 Posts
As far as I am concerned the frames are identical so why not do it ?? and as you noticed it's a good opportunity to make some changes(upgrades in specs if you think you need them :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have a new 18" Trance 2 frame. I got the bike from a guy who owed me money and had all but a $100 left until he was to get it out of layaway. I needed the parts for my wife's xc bike and the frame was too big for her and too small for me so we stripped it. The frame hasn't even been fully built up because the shop kept the bike in it's original box until we brought them her frame to do the part swap.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'd say go for it, the frame is the same. They are taking the time (which is at a premium this time of year) to switch the parts over, and the delay is more Giant's fault than theirs. They're probably frustated by that, but I wouldn't ask for a discount, especially since you haven't been waiting in desperation. They should be able to swap in your preferred parts at no extra charge though.

Maybe you can get a "2" sticker to put over the "3". Or better yet, "2.5". ;)

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Go for it, no reason for a discount it isn't their fault. Did you even pay down anything towards the T2? The only diff between the frames is as said the T3 is silver and the T2 is black, also the number on the bike which could easily be covered/changed. Good idea to ask about switching/changing parts to exactly what you want.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll see what they'll do..

yes, I thought it very kind of them to offer to swap out the parts; then again, they want the sale.

i appreciate the comments. I especially like the idea of putting a "2.5" or something clever on there...maybe Trance 3-1=2.....i dunno....anybody else?

Given the spec sheet, http://www.giantbicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=11147 suggestions on what parts you would seek to upgrade / change? I'm cautious about the hydraulic brakes, as I've had avid mechanicals and loved them....

thanks!

matt

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
kiva said:
yes, I thought it very kind of them to offer to swap out the parts; then again, they want the sale.

i appreciate the comments. I especially like the idea of putting a "2.5" or something clever on there...maybe Trance 3-1=2.....i dunno....anybody else?

Given the spec sheet, http://www.giantbicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=11147 suggestions on what parts you would seek to upgrade / change? I'm cautious about the hydraulic brakes, as I've had avid mechanicals and loved them....

thanks!

matt
Straight off the bat I'll say make sure you upgrade to the X-type/outboard bearing crankset, DO NOT keep that POS BB that the T3 comes with.Either XT or the RF stuff.

XT over LX is nice and would prob save some weight, but I find the LX working OK on my T3 - maybe just the XT R derailer.

I'm loving my hydraulic discs - so1e comes on the T3 - definitely go with either the Hayes HF-X9 XC or some Avid hydraulics. Biggest if you're comfortable with the mechs maybe those.

FORK is a definite no brainer DEFINITELY get the REBA am loving mine that I switched out the DUKE XC for - Motion Control ROCKS!!!!

Better wheelset would also be nice so I would go for that as well.

Other than that I loove my Trance3 and it's working great so with those things you should have fun, IF you could get the bike shop to give you a deal on a RP3 or some such adjustable/lockable shock DO IT - although the bike does pedal well, it would benefit from lockout on road and smoother climbs - I plan on getting my FloatR pushed when it's due or maybe getting an RP3 or RS MC3.

·
Registered
938 Posts
LyNx said:
Straight off the bat I'll say make sure you upgrade to the X-type/outboard bearing crankset, DO NOT keep that POS BB that the T3 comes with.Either XT or the RF stuff.

XT over LX is nice and would prob save some weight, but I find the LX working OK on my T3 - maybe just the XT R derailer.

I'm loving my hydraulic discs - so1e comes on the T3 - definitely go with either the Hayes HF-X9 XC or some Avid hydraulics. Biggest if you're comfortable with the mechs maybe those.

FORK is a definite no brainer DEFINITELY get the REBA am loving mine that I switched out the DUKE XC for - Motion Control ROCKS!!!!

Better wheelset would also be nice so I would go for that as well.

Other than that I loove my Trance3 and it's working great so with those things you should have fun, IF you could get the bike shop to give you a deal on a RP3 or some such adjustable/lockable shock DO IT - although the bike does pedal well, it would benefit from lockout on road and smoother climbs - I plan on getting my FloatR pushed when it's due or maybe getting an RP3 or RS MC3.
Read the topic carefully befor answering.... He wants to swich frame to T3 with T2 parts. Apart from that, tell me what's left of the original bike after the changes you've proposed ;)

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
goRz said:
Read the topic carefully befor answering.... He wants to swich frame to T3 with T2 parts. Apart from that, tell me what's left of the original bike after the changes you've proposed ;)
Think you had better read the actual post more carefully as he asked what we might suggest he switch or change from the "stock" T2 parts - which is what as far as I understood it the bike shop was looking to do, give him a T3 frame with T2 parts.

All I suggested was really 1 change out to a RP3 shock instead of the stock FloatR that both the T2 and T3 come with, other than that the "switches" I suggested are what would come stock on a T2. Some I wouldn't swap out from what the T3 comes with - maybe the lbike shop would not charge him full price for the "T2" then since it really would be a T2.5

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks...

thanks for taking the time to go through the different parts; I was a bit confused since I was (unclearly) referring to starting w/ a T3 frame w/ T2 parts and going from there. I really appreciate your suggestions...

So, that shock you're suggesting is from the T1. What are the advantages of that? I will inquire at the shop..

I think I will also go for a wheelset upgrade. Any suggestions? I'll have to do some reading. The shop had some Mavic ones they recommended...i think they were the Crossland....any other ideas?

thanks!

matt

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
kiva said:
thanks for taking the time to go through the different parts; I was a bit confused since I was (unclearly) referring to starting w/ a T3 frame w/ T2 parts and going from there. I really appreciate your suggestions...
No problemo, we all start out not knowing too much and learn more as we get more into the sport

kiva said:
So, that shock you're suggesting is from the T1. What are the advantages of that? I will inquire at the shop..
Yeh that's the shock that comes with the T1 or the Trance frameset, very, very nice shock.

kiva said:
I think I will also go for a wheelset upgrade. Any suggestions? I'll have to do some reading. The shop had some Mavic ones they recommended...i think they were the Crossland....any other ideas?
Don't get me wrong I like the wheelset that came with the T3 - Mavic X117 w/ Formula disc hubs - they are very quiet and have taken a beating without needing truing, but they are definitely not the best or lightest you could get BUT I have read several reviews on the X117 rims compared to the XM 317 the T2 comes with and they are said to be better than the XM 317. I yearn after a set of CROSSMAX, but they right now are way out of my price range - $500+ US and up

·
Registered
460 Posts
Kiva, if you are looking for a Trance 2 or 3 in a 18 or 20 inch. I have both in stock.

Dan Mitchell

1 - 14 of 14 Posts