Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the market to get my son who's 13 years old a trance 29 to upgrade from his trek marlin. Anyhow he's currently 5'7" and I know a Medium would fit him perfect but afraid he may outgrow it rather quickly. I think a large may be too big for him right now with a 31 inseam. When looking at the geo the different from the med to the large is 20mm reach and 33mm seat tube length. my question is should I get him the Med then later just get him a 20mm longer stem? OR just let him grow into a large? What would you all recommend? Thanks

https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geometries=5d87a0b2e3bc380017d0dfb0%2C5d87a0b2e3bc380017d0dfaf

·
Registered
221 Posts
Have you tracked your son's growth along something like the CDC charts?

How tall do you expect him to grow?

Statistically, boys have a steep growth curve from about 12-15 yrs. Being 5'-7" at the age of 13, he is probably above the 90th percentile. If this is true, your boy will likely pass the lower threshold (5'-10") that Giant recommends for a large before his 15th birthday.

·
monster member
953 Posts
I'm 5-11" or maybe a little more, with a 32" jean size, and feel the Large I bought is almost too big. I'm 50, and as I've seen all my mtb life, I'd like something between 18" and 20" (med - Lge). I love 19" but not many mfr offer that. (And I'm speaking old school measuremets so don't know how that relates to new stuff.)

Depending on family heritate on height, but also thinking your kid wants to do tail-whips and stuff, I'd say go with the Medium. In my younger days I sized small because I loved the bmx feel and just wanted to rip and jump. Now I'm 50 and looking for more of a long durance/xc and sized up to a Large Adv Pro 2 29 and it's good but feels a bit large.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Get the kid the right bike for his size. Let him ride it until he needs the bigger size then get a size large frame and move the existing components over to it. In the meantime he can earn the frame money by doing chores etc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts