Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Liking everything about the trance 29 except at 5'11" I'd want to size up to an XL to get the reach I like.

Since I'm only 5'11" and don't have super long legs, with the xl's 507mm seat tube I'd need to be able to slam a typical 150mm dropper right down to the seat clamp.

Anyone know if an XL frame will handle that or does the link/maestro pivot prevent it from being fully inserted?

Thanks in advance!

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Singletrack mag has a 150 on a med. I would imagine that theres room to jam one down on an xl. Compare the med->xl seat tube lengths and based on where the seat post is to the collar in the vid you should be able to assess the fit. Either that, go to a shop and do a dry fit with one there or wait to see if someone with your scenario chimes in. :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I think you're off with your sizing. At your height, you should be riding L.

Don't think the geo numbers tell the whole story. When you set your saddle height on Large, it's going to be further away from the bars than it's listed under geo chart.

·
No Clue Crew
7,647 Posts
I don't size based on reach personally, but the OP could be onto something. The Trance is not a big bike. I'm 6'2, 34 inseam, +2 ape on an XL with a 50mm stem. Depending on his limbs, he could certainly ride an XL.

I had a 6'5 guy test ride mine and it was obviously (and ridiculously) too small.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm a firm believer that local terrain and riding style will often dictate size preferences for those on the fence between sizes. In other words, what works for one 6 foot dude might not be the best feel for a different 6 foot dude.
I'd have to agree that in most cases an XL in this particular bike is likely too big for someone 5'11. I'd expect you'd find the XL cumbersome to maneuver the front end around for any long periods of riding compared to a Large. Not that you couldn't make it work, just that a Large should fit your frame better.

You could always add a 10mm longer stem if you feel the need to stretch out. The STA of this particular bike still put's you further back the higher you raise the seat.

Grain of salt needed with this: but according to Giant's sizing charts you're at the high end of a Medium bike and low end of the range of a Large. Nowhere near XL size.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-29-2

All that being said, demo one of each on your local trails and pick the one that feels like home.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both of my current bike have reach numbers between 475-480mm and ETT in the 640-650 range. Not interested in going shorter, I have a pretty good handle on what I like geometry wise.
One of my bikes has a 495mm seat tube and with a one-up 170 I have about 20mm of post showing. So the giants 507 would work but I'd need to be able to pretty much slam it.

I kinda thought someone might just know off the top of their head, sounds like best bet is as was suggested and ask an lbs who has one to check. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Both of my current bike have reach numbers between 475-480mm and ETT in the 640-650 range. Not interested in going shorter, I have a pretty good handle on what I like geometry wise.
One of my bikes has a 495mm seat tube and with a one-up 170 I have about 20mm of post showing. So the giants 507 would work but I'd need to be able to pretty much slam it.

I kinda thought someone might just know off the top of their head, sounds like best bet is as was suggested and ask an lbs who has one to check. Thanks for the feedback.
Gotcha. You gotta ride what feels good.
On my large I have about 2" of exposed post up top but I never tried inserting in any further than I needed, so on the XL which shares the same 150 dropper as the L and has a 1" longer seat tube, I'd imagine you could nearly bury it, if not fully.

Edit** Here's an XL with the factory post fully stuffed:

Attachments

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Gotcha. You gotta ride what feels good.
On my large I have about 2" of exposed post up top but I never tried inserting in any further than I needed, so on the XL which shares the same 150 dropper as the L and has a 1" longer seat tube, I'd imagine you could nearly bury it, if not fully.

Edit** Here's an XL with the factory post fully stuffed:
Is that the 125 or 150 pist tho? Asking for a friend.😁

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just measured the length of seat tube from pivot bolt to collar at 255mm on my medium. Would expect the pivot bolt is in the same location on an XL relative to the BB so extra tube length should = extra insertion capability.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm 6' 3" and running a L frame, waiting for a 2020 XL frame.

Currently my 150 dropper has ~100mm of post showing, hoping the XL will eat most of that up...
Are you stating you are unable to insert it any further into the seat tube than 100mm from the collar? Factory Giant dropper? Mine goes in way further.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.