Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know another compare thread but I couldn't help but ask. So my riding buddy and I checked out some bike shops today. I stumbled across a 2013 Jamis Dakar XCT Pro. I had an on-line obsession over this bike last year when it came out. Sweet rig. However, there is a new Sheriff in town. My local shop has a 2014 Trance 27.5 3 in stock. Also a nice whip. Now, I imagine the Trance has the edge with frame geometry, but the Jamis is loaded to the gills. What are you thoughts??

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If you think the bikes are comparable in terms of geometry, components and price, demo, demo, demo. If still in doubt, go with the good guys. Jamis being one of first early adopters and promoters of the wheel size and building worthy- if underrated- bikes for years.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've ridden the Jamis XTC Pro several times and was not not impressed at all. It felt like a truck. And it is VERY heavy - 31 lbs with XT pedals. I would easily buy the Trance... In fact, I had a chance to an XTC Pro ) at a steep discount in Dec and passed. (barely used demo).

While Jamis is ahead of the pack on embracing 27.5, they still haven't figured out what people actually want to ride and how to spec a bike accordingly. You can throw XT components on anything...doesn't make it any good. Jamis just builds builds heavy bikes with marginal performance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I will most definitely test ride both bikes. There is too much bread involved to make a regretful purchase. I will likely go with the Giant, but boy is that Jamis giving it a run for its money!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the trance 27.5 1 medium frame. Stock probably weighs 28lb. I am at 27lb 6oz going tubeless, easton haven bars, and giant carbon seatpost.

You figure the trance 27.5 3 could be the same weight stock or maybe even less considering that you have a RS fork instead of the heavier Fox talas on the 27.5 1.

I am guessing when you demo you will notice a distinct difference in agility, acceleration, and climbing ability with the lighter trance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny you mention the weight issue. I am also an avid snowmobiler and guys are always spending big bucks on weight saving parts, when they them selves are over weight. Kinda funny. Anyway, I am not a weight weenie, just looking for the best bike for the money. I will try to ride both before making a $2500+ decision.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I sold my 2013 Stumpjumper comp FSR 29er to get a Trance, after riding my buddies. Even though it was over a grand less than my previous SJ, I love my Trance 3 27.5! Feels much more nimble and why more plush than the Fox evo ctd's I was riding. $1850 for a brand new Trance 3, how can you beat that deal? It's a lot of bike for the money, lifetime frame too. Giant has a great and proven design in the Anthem/Trance/Reign. The new Trances have slacker geo too, 140 mm suspension, I made mine a 1x10(Raceface narrow/wide 30T ring) as soon as I got it, works real pissa

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.