Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LBS has both, and I am interested in the trance. Just wondering if the extra 500$ for the Carbon frame is worth it (I am assuming it weighs less)
Also, any thoughts on the
Sram vs shimano DT
Avid vs shimano Brakes
RS vs Fox set up

are the components on the advanced a good upgrade as well? Same/similar wheels :(

cheers

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
I'm in the same situation.
Not really, most of the Advanced 2's components are downgrades from the Trance1, so you're mostly paying for the carbon front triangle, not sure whether the Advanced 2's Sektor fork is as good or better than the Talas CTD on the Trance1.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I think there is less than 1/2 lb difference in weight so it would come down to ride stiffness and componetry. IMHO the alloy and carbon frames look similar in tube dimensions so I suspect the carbon version might give quite a nudge to frame stiffness?

IMHO both of the fork shock options on either would be an immediate upgrade for me. Both are price compromised if you want to push the bike hard.

I've had wimpy Giant frames in the past but My Ax 29er alloy farme is stiff enough. So I can't see why the alloy T 27.5 wouldn't be adequate for the average rider/ conditions.

Test ride would be in order really.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd save $500 and put it towards a better wheelset.
My thoughts exactly. In fact, just picked up my Trance 1 this afternoon. The difference between the two doesn't justify the price difference. IMHO the only benefit is the slight advantage in stiffness with the carbon frame.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I went with the Trance 1 for all of the reasons stated above. I couldn't justify the carbon over components so I went with the Trance 1. I run it with a wolftooth 1x10 and upgraded the shifters to XT. I have a set of I9 torches laced to WTB KOMs coming next week to finish it off.

Super nice bike.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Does anyone know if the wheelset on the Trance 1 are tubeless ready? I've got a Stans kit lying around from my 29er wheelset that I'd like to use.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
I think there is less than 1/2 lb difference in weight so it would come down to ride stiffness and componetry. IMHO the alloy and carbon frames look similar in tube dimensions so I suspect the carbon version might give quite a nudge to frame stiffness?

IMHO both of the fork shock options on either would be an immediate upgrade for me. Both are price compromised if you want to push the bike hard.

I've had wimpy Giant frames in the past but My Ax 29er alloy farme is stiff enough. So I can't see why the alloy T 27.5 wouldn't be adequate for the average rider/ conditions.

Test ride would be in order really.
Yeah, fork damper quality is a big deal for me too, one reason I'm also looking hard at the Troy XP (Pike RC fork). If the Talas CTD Evo damper can be upgraded relatively cheaply (to FIT CTD Adj?), that could be an option too.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Yeah, fork damper quality is a big deal for me too, one reason I'm also looking hard at the Troy XP (Pike RC fork). If the Talas CTD Evo damper can be upgraded relatively cheaply (to FIT CTD Adj?), that could be an option too.
It's roughly $250 for the FIT CTD damper.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Does Fox perform the upgrade or would that be just for the parts and self-installation?
Just the part. I am currently looking at upgrading a Talas 34 to a fit ctd and that is the price others have paid. It's an extremely easy part to swap out as long as it comes filled with oil... otherwise its a little more work. You can contact Fox directly for the part and ask them. You can also view the service manuals online on how to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The rims for the trance 1 are not tubeless ready. You'll have to go out and get yourself some new rims. The tires that come with the bike are tubeless ready, or so they say.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah, this will be my first time converting over. Bike came with the Giant P-XC2 wheelset. Was planning on purchasing new valves, Stan's sealant, and rim tape. You're saying that you didn't have to buy any of that? What PSI are you running?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just eye ball it on the floor pump to around 26-28psi. I could go lower but I ride both trail and urban and this works out great for me. You'll dig it; far fewer flats and it definitely improves grip and smooths out the bumps. I'll never go back.

I could be wrong but I swear that all the goods except the sealant came in the box. It could have also been my LBS taking care of me too though as I cant find any documentation to support it. I'd expect to pay but be stoked to find it in there.

When are you getting it? It's a rad bike! I still stare at it every time I go in the garage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts