Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sight carbon 2, if you can find one in stock!......That's what I ended up with after tons of research and demo rides!.....but those are all awesome bikes, so you can't make a bad choice.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
All very good bikes and all are easily top 5 in the 140 travel range.

Never rode the Trance, but buddy has it a loves it... I've owned a Maestro bike (anthem 29) and they are really good. While it can be pretty easily overcome, Im a bit put off by giants proprietary fork taper and meant dealer swap/credit not as good on the other "standard" offerings... I know its not that big a deal, but to me it was

Demoed both a Process and Sight. Loved em both. Was planning Kona all the way - until I rode the sight. Very close. Subtle differences. I think the process geo is THE geo of the year, and makes the bike just ez to ride. Norco is right on its heels in geo dept. I felt the rear was a bit more supple and plush on the Sight - more sensitive on small bumps as well - not a huge diff, but gave me what I personally was looking for.

In the end - no doubt could be happy with either - but I grabbed up one of the only 7.2c avail locally in my size as for Carbon at the same price its about 3-4lbs lighter as well. I have a couple rides in and couldnt be happier with the Sight performance and quality. I have hit some technical sections, steep climbs, fun downhills, and its been a blast to ride, and I've cleaned the tech first time out which I wasnt expecting til i had a bit more time and setup on the Sight - its s smile factory.

I know I just sold what I liked, and as PTK states above, likely cant make a bad decision on any of these bikes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I have been leaning towards the Norco, but I really need to get out and ride them. The Norco dealer is a bit of an issue, there are two, but not very close and I have no idea what sort of inventory they stock. One specifically refers to Norco as the Canadian version of Trek hybrid bikes... I suppose there is nothing for it but to give up the keyboard and go visit some bike shops. The Kona and Giant I have at least seen in person though not ridden yet.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
you are on the tracks now - go ride em. Also - call the Norco dealers first and find out what they have now and when next stock is available - as it's a problem - good problem if you are norco - but not so good that demand is greater than supply. Same w Kona - most dealers may have a non-dl model here and there, but mostly they like Norco are in short supply/availability. keep us posted what you learn and your demo impressions.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Trance is a great frame: light, climbs and pedals well, and descends great. However, If you have a little money to upgrade, sell the 32 Talas fork that comes with that. It's really a poor choice by Giant, and upgrade to either a Fox Float 34 140mm, or if you want the bike to be more aggressive, you could go with a 150mm. I got 150 Pike on mine, and it is super capable downhill, while still pedaling great.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Trance is a great frame: light, climbs and pedals well, and descends great. However, If you have a little money to upgrade, sell the 32 Talas fork that comes with that. It's really a poor choice by Giant, and upgrade to either a Fox Float 34 140mm, or if you want the bike to be more aggressive, you could go with a 150mm. I got 150 Pike on mine, and it is super capable downhill, while still pedaling great.
But what about the Giant proprietary steerer tube tapered size? It is a bolt on mod?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have owned 2 Trance bikes a 07 and 2012 .great bikes. After searching for my next bike I wanted it to have a Pike on the front after lackluster performance from my last fox fork . I ended up getting a Devinci troy with the xp build kit. On a trip in Tennessee and putting some miles on it it pedals excellent it accelerates quick. And the large carbon frame fits me better then my large trance frames did. This bike maybe worth a look.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Isn't the XP build the aluminum frame?

Looking at the Davinci dealer locator it would be a significant drive to get to one.

·
Registered
908 Posts
The awesome thing Devinci does is let you mix and match parts groups with different frames.

Alloy with XP is $2999
upgrade to carbon frame with XP for $3500. Also comes with nicer rear shock tuned for the carbon frame

unbelievable deal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts