Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a 20 inch Trance 2 . I race a bit , like to climb and do the occasional huck . What is the weight of this bike ? Is the Reign 2 a better choice for me?

·
College
1,198 Posts
cdj said:
I just ordered a 20 inch Trance 2 . I race a bit , like to climb and do the occasional huck . What is the weight of this bike ? Is the Reign 2 a better choice for me?
Don't know about the weight of the bike but it should be less than 32 which is pretty heavy. The Trance and Reign are monster heavy frames for there purpose,( but i still want one). The frame weight is about 3.2kg or rather 7+ pounds. The reign is a little more at 7.5 pounds. As you can see both heavy. Pulled if off another forum and they got it from the japanese online giant site. Im not sure if this is with or without the shock and headset. Either way it's pretty heavy and if you are gram conscience maybe not for you.

·
Registered
460 Posts
b12yan88 said:
Don't know about the weight of the bike but it should be less than 32 which is pretty heavy. The Trance and Reign are monster heavy frames for there purpose,( but i still want one). The frame weight is about 3.2kg or rather 7+ pounds. The reign is a little more at 7.5 pounds. As you can see both heavy. Pulled if off another forum and they got it from the japanese online giant site. Im not sure if this is with or without the shock and headset. Either way it's pretty heavy and if you are gram conscience maybe not for you.
The Trance 2 weighs 28 pounds. The Reign would be the better choice for jumping and drops. The frames are basically the same with a bigger rocker and their is more of a slope on the Reign.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
j.king said:
If anyone is curious the Trance 1 comes in at a flat 26 lbs. with no pedals.

This is a bike I saw on a scale in my LBS.
What size did you weigh? The small (14.5 in.) model is listed at 25.79 lbs. so I guess it could have been a medium.

http://www.giant.co.jp/2005/index2.html

Trance 2 from that same site - 28.9 lbs in the 18.1 in. size.

I'm a bit dissapointed that the Trance is so portly. I know, it's not meant to be a XC racer but I was hoping to build one up to about 24 lbs.

Cheers!
-Ian

·
A Midwesterner in Europe
116 Posts
It was a 18 inch Trance 1.

Giant is actually saying that the Trance is their "all-mountain" bike.
The Reign is supposed to be the "Freeride" bike.
And the Faith is supposed to be the "Extreme Freeride" bike.

The geometry on the Trance certainly sits like a all mountain bike. With HA of 70.5 on the Trance and a HA of 69.5 on the Reign, there isn't a whole lot of difference. The seat tube angle and top tube are the same measurements on both Trance and Reign in the 18 size.
The only difference I'm seeing is of course the BB height on the bikes.

I wanted a Reign because of the extra travel, but after sitting on the Trance I'm not sure.

·
Registered
292 Posts
What is the BB height of the Trance and Reign?

j.king said:

The Reign is supposed to be the "Freeride" bike.
And the Faith is supposed to be the "Extreme Freeride" bike.

The geometry on the Trance certainly sits like a all mountain bike. With HA of 70.5 on the Trance and a HA of 69.5 on the Reign, there isn't a whole lot of difference. The seat tube angle and top tube are the same measurements on both Trance and Reign in the 18 size.
The only difference I'm seeing is of course the BB height on the bikes.

I wanted a Reign because of the extra travel, but after sitting on the Trance I'm not sure.
I can't find anywhere that publishes the BB heights of the new Maestro's. Do you have the published BB heights? Or can you measure them on the actual bikes themselves?

·
Registered
24 Posts
All mountain?

j.king said:
The geometry on the Trance certainly sits like a all mountain bike.
I am trying to decide between the Trance and the NRS Composite 1.
What do you (and Giant) mean by "all-mountain"? What exactly does "All mountain" mean and why did you like the Trance after sitting on it?

·
A Midwesterner in Europe
116 Posts
"All-Mountain" is the same as the "Trailbike" and "Aggro XC" category.

They are bikes that are usually a little stronger and have a little more travel. Bikes in this category are ones like the Turner 5 Spot, Intense 5.5, Trek Liquid. Meant for XC rides, longer epic rides.

Giant would say that the NRS is their XC bike, it has a little less travel than the Trance, it's lighter, and has steeper angles. Most of the people who've ridden the Trance have said it felt like it had a lot more than 4 inches of rear travel.

I liked the Trance after sitting on it because of the laid back head and seat tube angles. There is a decent amount of front tire in front of you, more so than on an XC bike where you are more over the handlebar and there isn't a whole lot of tire in front of you.

It's a more active ride because you don't necessarily turn the bike as much. You use "body english" and lean it to turn it. But you loose a bit of climbing prowess.

If you are going to race XC then definitly go for the NRS Composite.

I'll see if I can hunt up the BB heights.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Reign=freeride?????

I highly doubt giant will push the reign as a freeride bike, or they will redefine the word freeride the first time someone tries to get their frame warrenteed. They never even considered the AC line of bikes to be true freeride bikes. The reign frame is basicly a replacement for the VT line, which was considered all mountian.

·
A Midwesterner in Europe
116 Posts
Crashtdp said:
I highly doubt giant will push the reign as a freeride bike, or they will redefine the word freeride the first time someone tries to get their frame warrenteed. They never even considered the AC line of bikes to be true freeride bikes. The reign frame is basicly a replacement for the VT line, which was considered all mountian.
Yeah, I thought that was a little weird when I heard that from Giant, it could have been that I wasn't listening.

It makes sense that the Trance would be the XC bike, the Reign the "all mountain" and the Faith the freeride bike.

Either way whatever they want to call it the Reign is going to be my XC bike.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Xc?

j.king said:
Yeah, I thought that was a little weird when I heard that from Giant, it could have been that I wasn't listening.

It makes sense that the Trance would be the XC bike, the Reign the "all mountain" and the Faith the freeride bike.

Either way whatever they want to call it the Reign is going to be my XC bike.
Yeah, but can this Reign climb hills? I like the extra travel but, I need it to be fairly easy to climb hills without spewing up a lung. Has anybody out there ridden this thing to give a report on if it is a all-mountain bike or a freeride huckster?

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,208 Posts
I rode the piss out of a Reign...

I was with three other riders, all on 4" bikes. This was in Bootleg canyon. Every climb, I had to wait for them. Every descent, I had to wait for them. All three are racers, and I am not. We were all of similar fitness and skill. It was a tremendous bike...it really did not feel as if it had more that 3-4", but damn sure, I used all six. KUDOS, Giant...

·
Registered
460 Posts
rideit said:
I was with three other riders, all on 4" bikes. This was in Bootleg canyon. Every climb, I had to wait for them. Every descent, I had to wait for them. All three are racers, and I am not. We were all of similar fitness and skill. It was a tremendous bike...it really did not feel as if it had more that 3-4", but damn sure, I used all six. KUDOS, Giant...
We received 2 Reign 3's in today and they rode pretty good for a 6" travel bike, but that was in a parking lot.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey thanks

rideit said:
I'm just trying to decide between the Trance or the Reign. I own a NRS now, so you know where I'm coming from when I said I needed a bike that climbs hills well. I just need a trail bike to have fun but not race on. I'll just have to wait until one comes in at my local shop.
Any more info like that helps...so thanks again.

·
Registered
460 Posts
upontwo said:
I'm just trying to decide between the Trance or the Reign. I own a NRS now, so you know where I'm coming from when I said I needed a bike that climbs hills well. I just need a trail bike to have fun but not race on. I'll just have to wait until one comes in at my local shop.
Any more info like that helps...so thanks again.
I would go with the Reign, you are only getting a quarter inch more of travel if you get the Trance and basiclly getting another XC bike, go for something with more travel, but rides and pedals well enough to play around.

·
Registered
292 Posts
danmtchl, a favor please.

danmtchl said:
We received 2 Reign 3's in today and they rode pretty good for a 6" travel bike, but that was in a parking lot.
Can you do me a big favor and tell us how much they weigh and how high the bottom bracket is? For some reason, Giant and all the dealers that have them are avoiding both topics like the plague.

·
Registered
198 Posts
k1dude said:
Can you do me a big favor and tell us how much they weigh and how high the bottom bracket is? For some reason, Giant and all the dealers that have them are avoiding both topics like the plague.
The Trance 1 weighs in at 26 lbs. and the Reign 1 is at 30 lbs. I believe. This is without pedals. As far as the BB height I,m not sure. I hope no more than 12 1/2" or so. The weight of the bikes I got off one of the posts from this site. Go to the Jappan Giant site.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I know about the Japanese weights.

upontwo said:
The Trance 1 weighs in at 26 lbs. and the Reign 1 is at 30 lbs. I believe. This is without pedals. As far as the BB height I,m not sure. I hope no more than 12 1/2" or so. The weight of the bikes I got off one of the posts from this site. Go to the Jappan Giant site.
According to the Japanese site:

Reign 1: 29.92 lbs.
Reign 2: 32.12 lbs.
Trance 1: 25.74 lbs.
Trance 2: 28.82 lbs.

I already know about those published weights. But are those weights estimates? Or are they prototype weights? Or are they actual production models? If they are production models, is their parts spec. different than the US? There are far too many questions about the Japanese weights.

Here in the US we have dealers finally getting the actual product in house. Yet everyone still continues to ignore requests to provide weights and BB height of the ACTUAL product. Why is that? My fear is they are so heavy and the BB so low, that it will scare people away from the product. So they don't disclose the info for fear of losing sales to the competition.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts