Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am fairly new to biking and got the trance 2 over the summer. Recently it started making a noise when pedaling at high torgue. I took it to the shop and some bolts were tightened, etc. It got a little better but still makes the noise. Any ideas what it might be?

·
Registered
45 Posts
What does it sound like? Is it coming from the front of the bike or the back? Does it only make that sound when you are seated? How about standing?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I recently noticed the same problem (creaking noise when pedaling hard) on my Reign. So while riding yesterday I tried a few things to narrow down where the noise was coming from. In my experience, creaking on any bike usually comes from one of three places - the headseat, the bottom bracket, or the seat/seatpost.

This is what I typically do to track down the source of a creak:

1. Seat/Seatpost - Shift to a fairly high gear and pedal hard while standing. If the creak goes away, then you know the noise is probably either the seat tube/seatpost junction or the seatpost clamp that holds the saddle rails.

2. Headset - Does the bike make the noise when you're not pedaling? If you've ruled out the seatpost, see if the noise persists when riding downhill on rough terrain. If it continues to creak, the headset is probably the source.

3. Bottom Bracket - Once you've ruled out the seatpost and headset, crank away and see if the noise only occurs when there is a lot of torque applied to the pedals. If so, the bottom bracket is more than likely the problem.

Based on what you said, I'd say the problem you have is either the seatpost or the bottom bracket. Unfortunately, it can be really tricky to track down a noise because the sound can travel through the frame and make you think it's coming from a totally different place. It's all about the process of elimination.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
So any solution to this problem, did you find out what was keeping the noise? Tried any of the suggestions provided here? We always like to know what was happening so others will have answers if it happens to them.

avikoren1 said:
Hi,
I am fairly new to biking and got the trance 2 over the summer. Recently it started making a noise when pedaling at high torgue. I took it to the shop and some bolts were tightened, etc. It got a little better but still makes the noise. Any ideas what it might be?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe it was the bottom bracket that was tightened and it appears like its fixed. The first time out after the repair I still heard the noise but less. Then on follow up rides the noise is gone. For now I am assuming it to be fixed and tightening (I believe) the bottom bracket did it.

Thanks for all your feedback.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, the noise is back. One correction, in an earlier post I said that I believe the bb was tightened. I was wrong, I asked to shop mechanic and he said he tightened some bolts around the suspension. Now the problem occurrs (again) while pedaling at high torgue BUT I can also re-create the noise with my hand, applying force down on the pedal while keeping the bike stationary. So, when I push on the pedal down (hard, with my hand) I hear a certain click, fairly loud. The mechanic (although will work on it if i brought it in) is telling me that some noise is sort of unavoidable, is he right?. I guess at this point I will wait and see, by the way, the bike is under one year old and still under guarentee. I was also wondering if this can have anything to do with some of the posts about bad bearings. Althought the bad bearing, I believe only apply to the 05 model. I guess giant resolved this issue with the 06 dont know. Again, your help and comments are greatly appreciated and keep in mind that I am very new to biking. This is my first real bike and pretty much bought it due to the great mtbr reviews.

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
Just tightening down a bottom bracket won't cure it if it is indeed the problem. Sometimes you have to strip the BB down and thouroughly clean all the treads and then put a light layer of grease on it before bolting it back together. I've had noisy BBs before and its always been this way. Also, give the chainring bolts a little lovin too becuase sometimes they get creaky.

·
Registered
797 Posts
have you checked crank bolt torque, as well as

pedal tightness. Does it happen only when pressing down on one pedal, or either pedal?If only one pedal, remove that pedal, clean threads and reinstall to correct tightness.Also, bearings on pedal spindle can cause this noise. Have you tried riding down the street and bouncing up and down on the bike, while putting your feet on the down tube, and not touching the pedals? What happens then? I think you get the idea- its trial an error and will greatly reduce the time your bike spends in the shop if you can point them in the right direction. Even though its under warranty, I would try and find the problem yourself, as you are way more interested in solving the problem than that yahoo at your shop who said that you can't get rid of all noises- not true.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To close the loop once again.... I took the bike to the LBS and he lubed tightened some bolts and then he noticed something which is likely the cause to my noise. I had an attachment for a baby stroller connected to the rear axle. This was done by the LBS and is no big deal but something must have shifted and it started making the noise. The LBS removed it as an expirement and the noise is completly gone. The question now is can I put the attachment back on (correctly) or not and give up on taking my son on weekend strolls arount the neighborhood. For now I am not using the trailer, we shall see.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Screw the noise take your son for some rides. What kind of attachment is it ? Cant you just remove it and replace it when you need to? I pull my daughter on a halfwheeler ,and when its attached to my bike my seat post creaks like a mofo. doesnt make any noise when not attached thoug. I used to have a trailer that attached to the drop outs with a long quick release , but I still rode with it banging around while not attached to the trailer. Small price to pay.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
creeking noise may be in seat tube

Try pulling the seat post out and wiping any dirt or sand off the post and down in the seat tube. I had a problem with this on both my VT2 and NRS (sold both after getting the Trance). It was mostly due to the shim on those bikes. It hasn't been a problem on my Trance (shimless), but some grit may have still worked its way down there and might be the source of your creeking. Remember to reapply some grease to the seat post before putting it back in. Keep the rubber side down, Turtle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trance noise when pedaling at high torque

I had/have this problem. Try this. Ride the bike around your driveway with your seatpost out and mash the pedals in the big ring. Pedal at high torque. You will probably find out ,as I did, the bike does not make a sound.

I did everything before I tried the above. The seatpost and frame are definetly the problem. If you grease the seat tube and seatpost it will stop for a few rides and then come back. I think the problem is not enough clearance between the frame and the seatpost.

Please post back after you have tried riding your bike around the driveway without a seatpost and let me know what you find.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's an old thread, but who knows, someone might be interested in some recent feedback...

I have recently bought a Trance 2. After maybe 3-4 hours of ride time, my rear rotor started rubbing under power. My LBS and another mechanic at a race I entered tried to re-align the calipers, but the noise remained.

Only thing that seemed to help the problem was to really really crank the QR skewer as tight as possible (and mind you it wasn't that loose to start with...).

I'm now trying to find a different skewer that will help me get this tight enough and not require a tool to losen it on the trails.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts