Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Here's my dilemma. I'm looking to buy my first soft tail and I've narrowed it down to the Giant Trance 1/2 or the Stumpjumper FSR Expert. My problem is that I live in Norway and I'm looking to get my dad to bring one back from the states. I.E It's difficult to test ride either one, as it's winter over here and very few bike shops have anything of interest available. What are your reccomendations regarding my choice? I need some serious help, aas I only have 3 days to decide.

I know the Expert comes with the brain for the first time, which, as far as I understand solves alot of the bobbing issues, but then again, the Trance has gotten heaps of great reviews.

P.S I weigh in at 190 pounds and is 6'4, so I think I would have to go with the 22" (XL for Specialized). Does this sound right?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Definitely for size go for the XL/22". I'm 6'2+" and around 173lbs.

As for the bike it's kind of hard to give an un-biased view, as I am so in love with my Trance. I have had it for just under 2 years, pedaled just over 5,300 miles on it over all kinds of terrain. The only thing I can fault my Trance for ( and this is not really it's fault, but mine when I bought it) is the lack of an adjustable shock, i.e FloatR instead of the nice RP2 or RP23 that comes on the T1 - money and time was an issue so I got a T3 instead of T2.

If I'm not wrong one thing for sure I don't like about the SJ is the low BB compared to the Trance - about 3/4-1" lower - I believe that it's a FSR Expert a guy I know has and I measured up to compare to my trance and found this.

Maestro suspension is ALL it's hyped up to be and more. I don't know what else to say except browse over these forums and read people own reports on their bikes. There have been several people who had these 2 bikes plus the FuelEx and ended up with a Trance in love it. Check out the first page of the official Trance thread for links.

You came to the GIANT forum, I think you already know the answers you'll get here - they are biased, but honest and a lot of the other shave way more experience than me in terms of bikes owned and ridden and say they couldn't be happier on their Maestro based bikes.

·
illuminator82
251 Posts
i have owned both. rode them side by side for over 3 months before deciding. rode fsr's for over 5 years. out west, long climbs, tight and flowing single track; both are great bikes for what you pay for. i have trance 1 and had the expert. fsr climbs the nasty stuff better period. nothing and i mean nothing stays as active over really difficult terrain as horst link bike, unless of course you are some kind of trials expert then you can climb anything on a tricycle, but for mere mortals fsr is best. But, and i mean But, the trance climbs faster and more efficiently, by that i mean without the need of a special damping mechanism, like spv or propedal in the firmest position. that negates small bump compliance and will only move when really hitting a large object and then you rear wheel is bouncing all over the place instead of tracking. the trance also takes big hits better, rolls over objects better and brakes fairly nuetrally. my brother also races and he is selling his fsr after riding with me a couple of times on the same courses he rode his fsr. the fsr expert is a lighter frame and is also less stiff than the trance. i believe it weighs about 5.6-5.8lbs to the trances 7lbs. but the trance will need less maintainence too... remember another important idea and that is fit. look at the geometry numbers and put that into your equation too... just my lousy 2 cents....

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can't say much for the trance but I used to own a 2006 FSR Expert. It's a great bike but dont get it if it comes with the rear Fox Triad shock... it suck. I loved how it climbs and how cushy it iscgoing downhill but on flat it bobbs like crazy. I'm 170 lbs and I had to pump the rear shock up to 240psi to get it somewhat the way I want it... but it still kinda bobbed on flats. If you read in the Specialized forum... a lot people had problems with the triad rear shock on the bike. I went back to my nrs a month later.

I've rode a trance 2 around the block at my local LBS and I like it a lot better than the FSR on flats. I didnt notice a bobbing problem like I did on the FSR. Though the bike felt a little heavier.

If the brain fixed the bobbing problem I would pick the FSR over the Trance (I like the components that comes on the Expert) but in your case since you cant test ride any, I would go with the Trance to be on the safe side. Both bikes are great, so good luck in choosing one.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Trance all the way !

Haaman, take a look at what you get for your dollar. In Australia the 2007 stumpy expert retails for $4799 Aus. The 2007 trance 0 $4400 Aus. Then look at the spec between the two. Forks, rear shock, wheelset....... Need I say any more ! The stumpy does not even come close to the trance in spec. So the stumpy frame may weigh a little less, so what. The wheelset alone probably makes up for it anyway and this is where you really feel the weight difference.

If it was me,......... and it was a couple of months ago ( same dilema) go for the trance, you will not be dissappointed.

Cheers

Oh, and did I mention that the trance 0 looks a whole lot better !

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
SC you're so freakin biased it isn't funnny :D LMAO But how can you not be ;)

sicwombat said:
Haaman, take a look at what you get for your dollar. In Australia the 2007 stumpy expert retails for $4799 Aus. The 2007 trance 0 $4400 Aus. Then look at the spec between the two. Forks, rear shock, wheelset....... Need I say any more ! The stumpy does not even come close to the trance in spec. So the stumpy frame may weigh a little less, so what. The wheelset alone probably makes up for it anyway and this is where you really feel the weight difference.

If it was me,......... and it was a couple of months ago ( same dilema) go for the trance, you will not be dissappointed.

Cheers

Oh, and did I mention that the trance 0 looks a whole lot better !

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know that I have posted in other spots, but here goes. I have a chance to get a Trance 0 at a considerably better deal than a SJ Expert, but no lbs close by who carries it. Do you think it would be worth having lbs work on Trance even though they don't carry them?

·
Registered
956 Posts
A bike's a bike. As long as you have confidence in the lbs (they can do standard bike repair), then they should be able to service the Trance. The only thing special is the rear suspension linkages, and they shouldn't be an issue since they started using the right bearings (plus, I did my own bearing replacement with assist from this board, and I have little bike repair experience).

Warranty is a different issue - others may have opinions on how easy it is to get warranty service from Giant without a local relailer.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Don't worry, be happy :)

Seriously they are great bikes and there's no real need for warranty work. I got myself a Trance that turns 2 on Feb 14th, have put in over 5,600+ miles and only problem I have had was with the crappy raced bearings that came spec'd w/ the 2005 bikes - this was fixed for 2006 and on.. The frames are super burly and are ridden by many clydes with no problems, heck I weigh about 190lbs w/ gear and have ridden the crap out of it and still going strong.

Only other weak point - but this applies to basically all bikes these days - is the crappy bushings job used on the shocks - it doesn't last very long so if you ride frequently make sure and order spare bushing and reducers. Working o converting my setup to a Roller Bearing type which should work better and last longer.

Kingdomseeder said:
I thought about warranty wok and thought if I had to I guess I could drive about 60 or so miles to get warranty work done by a giant dealer

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well if that's a US model that's one hell of a steal, it usually retails around $3,000+. Just make sure it really is a Trance0 and not maybe the frame and lesser parts.
Kingdomseeder said:
I can get the Trance 0 for around $2600. Is that a pretty good deal? The SJ Expert would be around $3000.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I hope so, It is from bike store that sells just Giant bikes. They have given me some pretty good deals already. I did not think much of it until after talking to the owner and remembering that b4 giant was a company selling bikes that all they was frames for other companies. In my area around home you don't see a lot of them. That is why I have been hesitant

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sad to say, I don't think the brain fixed the bobbing issue. I'm riding a Stumpy FSR S-works frame and that sucker really bobs with the recommended pressure in the rear shock even with the brain dialled to the firmer setting. I made some enquires on the Specialized forum and was told to increase to an additional 30psi to what was recommended. I felt it made the ride more jarring... and the bike still bobbed (then again, the saying is that ALL FS bikes would bob to a certain extent), although not as bad as before but still very noticable even on asphalt climb while seated. My friends on Giant's noticed it too. I looked at their Reigns and the shock was motionless.
So I did what everyone would've done and swapped bikes for the climb. The maestro system is definately more efficient that way. However I have not tried it on the trails... yet, but i've heard so much. The Stumpy's however, is one of those bikes which you get on and immediately feel like you can do stuff which you have been cautious about before like a particular downhill section etc. It's very forgiving and it is a joy to ride going down, can't say the same about going up though. Crap, maybe I just didn't set it up right or i just got bad technique. I'm still trying to make it work but I'm seriously looking at getting a 07 Reign 1.
But if you think you're gonna be doing alot of climbing, get the Trance (never ridden it but based on the Maestro system, I feel its more efficient).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.