Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a trainer that has a power meter built in, the elite primo fluid wireless (pretty high end).

Its supposed to be accurate within 2%.

My question is, what kind of power do you think I'll need at about 195 pounds to be able to sustain to win an expert XC race? (I know lots of variables here)

Also, any good guides on using power to train with?

Thanks,
Michael

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
fsrftc said:
how long would I need to hold that? I was actually thinking almost the same number before you replied. I think that if I could hold 400 for 2 hours I'd be golden
If you could hold 400 watts for that long, you would be more than golden.:eekster:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mtbfool said:
If you could hold 400 watts for that long, you would be more than golden.:eekster:
I'm going to verify the numbers on my meter with a powertap this weekend but with a "ramped" start and a 5 minute cool down I held 311 for 90 minutes, I bumped up to 347 for 30 minutes in the middle and had an average HR of 159. My HR for the 347 was in the upper 160s. I've held a 171 average for 2+ hours....sigh MORE POWER!!!! I want more power!! But the numbers aren't bad for being january

·
The Riddler
1,058 Posts
fsrftc said:
I'm going to verify the numbers on my meter with a powertap this weekend but with a "ramped" start and a 5 minute cool down I held 311 for 90 minutes, I bumped up to 347 for 30 minutes in the middle and had an average HR of 159. My HR for the 347 was in the upper 160s. I've held a 171 average for 2+ hours....sigh MORE POWER!!!! I want more power!! But the numbers aren't bad for being january
jesus that's pretty damn good, how much do you weigh?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Power expectation a little high??

Lynda says 4.4-4.6.

According to this chart, for FT, this is like a mid-to-upper Cat 2.

The guys I know that win expert can only hang in Cat3 on the road.

It could also be that they have a Cat2 level FT, but have lower-level 5 sec, and 1min outputs overall. Good sprinting and surging abilities gets the spoils in road races.

......also, I know of a really good Cat 3 roadie (wins races) who can't get a top 5 in expert class MTB races.

I guess it's a special mix of power abilities for each type of racing.

Attachments

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Poncharelli said:
Lynda says 4.4-4.6.

It could also be that they have a Cat2 level FT, but have lower-level 5 sec, and 1min outputs overall. Good sprinting and surging abilities gets the spoils in road races.

......also, I know of a really good Cat 3 roadie (wins races) who can't get a top 5 in expert class MTB races.

do you have a link to the page that chart is on?

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
Poncharelli said:
Lynda says 4.4-4.6.

Yeah. 4.4-4.6 will have you easily winning expert races around here.

·
Registered
393 Posts
fsrftc said:
do you have a link to the page that chart is on?
Here's the link.

http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/power411/

I'd personally be skeptical of numbers that come off anything that hasn't been tested against a powertap or SRM that has been calibrated. I don't know anything about your trainer in particular but the less expensive Tacx with powermeters built in are not consistent and no where near accurate. The only trainer I'd trust to measure consistently is a Computrainer although I've never used the high end VR trainers Tacx makes.

Good luck with your season, it sounds like you're on the right track.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think all this talk of power is interesting but MTB racing is not roadracing nor cyclocross. you're in the back if your bicycling handling sucks. I've seen and experienced it. I drop roadies at the start line of MTB races and they never see me til the end. However, come cyclocross time THEY drop me at the start and I never see them til the finish. some of them use power meters and are so strong on the road. come trail time they're are not always all that fast.

·
Registered
487 Posts
dang said:
I think all this talk of power is interesting but MTB racing is not roadracing nor cyclocross. you're in the back if your bicycling handling sucks. I've seen and experienced it.
Thats true that being able to produce X number of watts is not going to produce good race results in and of itself, but if you have two racers with equal bike handling skills,and one has a higher power to weight ratio then he/she will be out front.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.