Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever had a stranger interupt you to chat about the price of eggs in China while you're training?

This evening, I was doing some training by climbing a steep service road. During one of the times I stopped to catch my wind, some stranger in an SUV pulls up beside me and wants to chat. He didn't need directions or want to talk bikes. He just wanted to chat. You have to picture that I'm nearly bent double over my bike, trying to catch my breath but wanting to continue as soon as I get some wind.

Evidently, some people don't realize that if you're climbing a steep mtn, you may be doing some training - not out for a casual ride. Ever see me pushing myself like that, keep the pedal to the metal unless you need help or are an attractive lady who wants to discuss a dinner date. Don't even be surprised if I don't wave back.

Sorry. I feel better now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
On the flip side, isn't it the most wonderful thing on earth when you're in the
zone, going fast and trying hard but still within yourself, feeling the payoff of
the months of training? Oops, sorry OT, got a little carried away there.
 

·
Graphic Designer
Joined
·
224 Posts
People always try and stop my girlfriend while she is running to ask for directions, like 2-3 people a day because they get lost easy in the neighborhood she is running in. She basically is like 'can't hear you' and keeps running. Idiots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
RockadileSX said:
Strange that you just couldnt tell him you needed to go, I mean you didnt even know him. You can ride up a mountian but you cant say I got to go?
Well, I didn't need to go. The whole purpose of stopping was to catch my breath. It would've been strange for me to tell em "gotto go" and then just stand there. lol

When someone is climbing a mtn in light rain, it seems obvious that they may be doing a bit more than casual riding.

Pooh Bear -- I hope not.

phoehn9111 -- Yep
 

·
Is that Bill rated?
Joined
·
440 Posts
Really???

What is wrong with striking up a conversation with someone that you meet? You seem upset that someone was being socially welcoming to a bicyclist, in my neck of the woods I rejoice if a non cyclist is willing to share the time of day with me when I am out cycling, it is a refreshing change from the evil eye and cold shoulder routine that most people give out.

If you are that adamant about avoiding human contact while training have you considered an indoor bike training stand?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Lord Humongous said:
What is wrong with striking up a conversation with someone that you meet? You seem upset that someone was being socially welcoming to a bicyclist, in my neck of the woods I rejoice if a non cyclist is willing to share the time of day with me when I am out cycling, it is a refreshing change from the evil eye and cold shoulder routine that most people give out.

If you are that adamant about avoiding human contact while training have you considered an indoor bike training stand?
Sorry to hear that you're having problems while biking. You may want to look at a different sport if you feel like you need more social interaction. People usually do better when they make an effort to improve their social skills, too.

I enjoy human contact as much as the next person, but there is a time and place for everything. I'm sure that I'm not the only person on mtbr that tries to do a little serious training at times. I usually ride trails, but for a bit of training, I chose a little-used service road that deadends at the top of a mtn in the National Forest. Again, not the kind of place someone goes for a casual ride.

I've never considered indoor training during the summer, but probably need to start during the winter. Thanks for the suggestion and good luck.
 

·
Is that Bill rated?
Joined
·
440 Posts
Were you performing surgery?

Maybe my attempt at a humourous response failed with the whole trainer comment so I will be a little more blatant.

Was someone going to die because this person interrupted your training ride?

What I was trying to say is that maybe the problem is you, not the other guy. How much slower are you going to be because someone talked to you while you were recovering from a difficult climb? Why is that more important than being a friendly representative of a frequently misunderstood fringe culture?

I guess I just don't understand your perspective. I see people 'training' on the trails that I ride on and they won't even acknowledge other riders let alone pedestrians et al and that makes me angry. Maybe that is my problem and not their's, but it's funny that the runners who train on the same trails always have a smile and frequently a kind word as they pass.

Anyways, your post caught a nerve that I find is regularly irritated. Sorry that I have a dissenting view, but I felt compelled to bring it up.
 

·
another bozo on the bus
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
My question is, what does stopping to catch your breath have anything to do with training? I for one have never entered a race where you stopped at the top of a climb to catch your breath. Well, I guess the SSPBE did, but that was a stage race and there was beer to be had. Good luck with your training program.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,092 Posts
Lord Humongous said:
Maybe my attempt at a humourous response failed with the whole trainer comment so I will be a little more blatant.

Was someone going to die because this person interrupted your training ride?

What I was trying to say is that maybe the problem is you, not the other guy. How much slower are you going to be because someone talked to you while you were recovering from a difficult climb? Why is that more important than being a friendly representative of a frequently misunderstood fringe culture?

I guess I just don't understand your perspective. I see people 'training' on the trails that I ride on and they won't even acknowledge other riders let alone pedestrians et al and that makes me angry. Maybe that is my problem and not their's, but it's funny that the runners who train on the same trails always have a smile and frequently a kind word as they pass.

Anyways, your post caught a nerve that I find is regularly irritated. Sorry that I have a dissenting view, but I felt compelled to bring it up.
Maybe the OP was doing serious training because he is a serious biker. You know, with a heart rate monitor brassiere and scowling race-face to let the world know he is training seriously? He's probably competing in an upcoming World Cup race or the Olympics or something.

General Barnicke: Where have you been soldier?
John Winger: Training, sir.
Soldiers: Training, sir.
General Barnicke: What kind of training?
John Winger: Army training, sir.
Soldiers: Army training, sir.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,092 Posts
wiretapstudios said:
People always try and stop my girlfriend while she is running to ask for directions, like 2-3 people a day because they get lost easy in the neighborhood she is running in. She basically is like 'can't hear you' and keeps running. Idiots.
Maybe they're not actually looking for directions?
 

·
Advanced Slacker
Joined
·
15,410 Posts
rlouder said:
Ever had a stranger interupt you to chat about the price of eggs in China while you're training?

This evening, I was doing some training by climbing a steep service road. During one of the times I stopped to catch my wind, some stranger in an SUV pulls up beside me and wants to chat. He didn't need directions or want to talk bikes. He just wanted to chat. You have to picture that I'm nearly bent double over my bike, trying to catch my breath but wanting to continue as soon as I get some wind.

Evidently, some people don't realize that if you're climbing a steep mtn, you may be doing some training - not out for a casual ride. Ever see me pushing myself like that, keep the pedal to the metal unless you need help or are an attractive lady who wants to discuss a dinner date. Don't even be surprised if I don't wave back.

Sorry. I feel better now.
I really don't care if someone talks to me when I'm stopped. If I ever get to the point where I am so serious about training that I loose my social skills, I have instructed my friends to hide my bike and take me out drinking instead.

The only time I really got ticked at people trying to talk to me was when I was playing music in bars (playing guitar and singing) and on a few occasions some drunk idiot would walk up and start blabbering to me in the middle of a song, sometimes while I was actually singing.
 

·
local trails rider
Joined
·
12,300 Posts
rlouder said:
Ever had a stranger interupt you to chat about the price of eggs in China while you're training?
Nope. I don't train.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the good luck wish Washedup. I'm 47, still a bit overweight, just started biking last year, and took the winter off. Do you really think I would have a shot in a race? Heck, the mtn I referred to isn't really even a mtn. I don't think there's any mtns in the SE that meet the geological requirements, maybe not any east of the Mississippi. Still, an 800' ascent in 2 miles is a great workout for me. Heck, I had to push the steepest section. lol

Lord, I took a stab at a little humor, myself. That's one thing I enjoy about these forums - you can always count on varied opinions and find a little humor. Just so you won't think I'm a recluse, you will be glad to know that I had a great time meeting and talking with other riders on a new trail today. However, I didn't interupt anyone gasping for air or climbing a hill. Funny that I have that uncanny ability to read whether someone wants to converse and when they are finished with a conversation. If everyone had that ability, Nomit wouldn't have to carry his "Wrap it up" tool.
 

·
pedal pusher
Joined
·
2,712 Posts
Learn a few simple hand signs (as in sign language, and not just the one you use when you're angry) and pretend you're deaf. I work with a few deaf people, and when a newb walks up and begins talking to them, they just let them know they can't hear them, and the person just acts embarrassed, smiles, and walks on. I've always considered doing it myself.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top