Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to try my FIRST mtb race august 7th. It's a loop race that goes 30 minutes plus 1 additional lap. the lap is 1 - 1.5 miles. It won't be technically challenging; mostly a test of fitness. At under 40 minutes, it will pretty much be a sprint. There will be short steep hills, but there shouldn't be any long grinders.
I only have about 5 hours a week to train for this, but it's 3 months out, so I think I should be able to get into decent shape. Have any of you trained for something similar? Can you give suggestions or online sources for training programs? right now, i ride on a paved trail near my house and go for a 2 hour single track ride with lots breaks on either saturday or sunday.

Thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
You might want to go out and hammer for about 40 minutes at a race pace and see how you feel afterward. Do this several times between now and the race. As Chainwhipped said, make sure you have a good base to build from. Three months is a long time to train for a 40 minute race, make sure you don't end up over training for this race. Road riding builds good fitness for off-road riding, but it generally does not prepare you for the hammer hard, go slow, hammer hard of a mountain bike race. So do some intervals for power and long steady distance for endurance. You can also do hill repeats for power even though your race doesn't have major hills. Long hill repeats build endurance and power.

There are about a million ways to train. You will basically need to experiment with different methods to find what works best for you. Good luck.

·
XCdude
1,323 Posts
Do intervals(hill ones) about 2-4 minutes in

LazyE said:
I'm going to try my FIRST mtb race august 7th. It's a loop race that goes 30 minutes plus 1 additional lap. the lap is 1 - 1.5 miles. It won't be technically challenging; mostly a test of fitness. At under 40 minutes, it will pretty much be a sprint. There will be short steep hills, but there shouldn't be any long grinders.
I only have about 5 hours a week to train for this, but it's 3 months out, so I think I should be able to get into decent shape. Have any of you trained for something similar? Can you give suggestions or online sources for training programs? right now, i ride on a paved trail near my house and go for a 2 hour single track ride with lots breaks on either saturday or sunday.

Thanks
Duration, do at least a 2.5 hr training ride once per week. The intervals will give you the most bang for your time. But you need more hours, when I started a few years back all my races were one lap deals, which are brutal sprints and when you have a few short hills well that makes it even better. Go out if you can to the course with the fastest guys you can find and hammer away and see how you feel, on race day you will feel even worst after you are done this is because is a race and you will go even harder.
But is great that you are doing it, thats the only way to know what the hell is this racing all about.
Have fun, and there will be some sand baggers for sure don't let this bother you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My suggestion.

I was in a similar event over the winter. My program was to cross train running, spinnervals, and actual seat time.

Sunday - Running Intervals 6 weeks starting 10 min warmup, 30 seconds hard, 1:30 recover jog x 7, 10 min cooldown. I increase the hard intervals by 10 seconds each week.

Monday - Spinnervals DVD

Tuesday - 40 min recover jog

Wednesday - Spinnervals, or my own hybrid plan

Thursday - 40 min recover jog

Friday - off

Saturday - Outdoor ride weather permitting, or race simulation on the trainer.

everyday - Crunch, push-ups, leg lifts, and 'back crunches' not sure the correct term, but laying face down on the floor, hands on forehead, picking up torso working the lower back.

I finished the series strong, and laying out the plan was a big help. The bottom line is to go with a plan that works best for you based upon the ideas of others.

Good Luck,
Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.