Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used a pair of 1.95 Kenda (almost) slicks for pavement training on my 26" bike; loved 'em. I upgraded my wheels from Bontrager cheapies to Crossmax ST's this year. The Kendas do not fit on the rim, which is weird, but I need to get something else.

I have been looking at a couple tires from Continental; the Town & Country and the Sport Plus (I think). Reviews are all over the map, and not many that are obviously for a straight MTB wheel application. I just want to make sure I get something that will fit and work on my rim. Any experience or recommendations on how wide a tire will work effectively. Is a 1.75 tire wide enough for this application?

Thanks.

jim

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
How about just using the old wheels

and keeping the slicks on them. Use your new wheels for the knobby/dirt. Swapping the rear cogset is much faster than swapping a set of tires.

·
since 4/10/2009
33,532 Posts
Berkeley Mike said:
and keeping the slicks on them. Use you new wheels for the knobby/dirt. Swapping the rear cogset is much faster than swapping a set of tires.
+1 on this

·
Registered
273 Posts
I run hybrid (almost slicks) tires on my old beater mtb - late 90's GT Aggressor. Use them for pavement and sidewalk riding. First tire was the Continental Town and Country. Don't remember the size - it was a big one, about the same diameter as my regular knobbie. An improvement on pavement over the knobbie, but I like smaller pavement tires better. Then switched to a Kenda Kwest, 1.5. Has this wording: "To Fit HB - 575 rim". Love the thinner tire and haven't bent a rim yet. I remember bringing my bike to a shop and certain tires in the certain sizes would fit my rims and others wouldn't.

Are you enjoying this kind of riding/training? I started a thread about it here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=582077

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have thought about using the old wheelset for training. I would have to get the front hub fixed again. They are pretty cheap Bontrager wheels that came with the Fisher hifi Deluxe, lot of miles on them--cup and cone setup (am not really familiar with what this means). The front hub basically grinds when it turns, it's all jacked up.

To the other question, I do like training like this. I live near a lot of bigger hills and the training translates really well to the trail. I have thought about getting a road bike, but in addition to the cost, I like that my body is used to lots of time on one setup. I will check your thread out.

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
I have a 1.25" and 1.5" roadie tires front and rear on my Mavic Crossride rims (vee brake compatible rims) and they work fine.

Why don't your old tires not fit on you new rims again?:skep:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not sure why I can't get the tires on these rims. I change tires a lot too, I am fairly good at it. I think the edge of the Crossmax rim is pretty square and I can't get the bead of the tire over it--not really even close.

Thanks for the tip on the gatorskins, that's what I was hoping for..somebody who had a tire that worked on my specific rim.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts