Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MTBR Demi-God
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just ordered the Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintainence... because want to go beyond the basic derailleur tuneups... and I hate taking my bike to LBS for simple, yet obscure fixes.

At the same time, I saw a book titled "Mastering mountain bike skills". I was about to buy that, but the reviews said that the book is mostly focused on freeride and DH riders. I am a newbie with a hardtail, and I ride XC trails only.

I was wondering if there are any good books to master the XC skills... maybe a little bit of AM as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Buy Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by Lopes. Don't worry about the reviews, downhill and freeride are just advanced techniques of what you will be doing on every single trail you ride. The info in the book and the way Brian explains the concepts is the best I've seen. If your worried about heart rate, lactate threshold, or hardcore training techniques, it may not be the book for you. But if you want to get better at riding trails, MMBS will help you immeasurably. Both my GF and I are much better riders than we were before picking the book up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
9.8m/s/s said:
Buy Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by Lopes...But if you want to get better at riding trails, MMBS will help you...
I would have to concur. MMBS is a good read and it covers a lot of elements to making you a better overall rider. However, if you're still hesitant about buying MMBS, look at "The Ultimate Mountain Bike Book"...it may be more to your liking. :thumbsup:

·
MTBR Demi-God
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only reason why I am giving MMBS a second thought is because of the reviews which said that it focuses on FR and DH. Since I am not experienced on those types of riding yet, I was wondering the book might assume that I already know the basic/intermediate skills...

But if beginners can learn from the book... I am up for it! After all, it is one of the highest rated book I came across..

Also, what do you think about Zinn? Any other alternatives, or is this the best one for novices? Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Lopes' book definitely does not assume anyone is a really experienced rider. I think any type of rider can get information out of it. I read it as a beginner, but just didn't get much further than jumping (since it was beginning to get into more advanced stuff). However, you've just reminded me I should pick it up again and re-read everything, including the more advanced stuff.

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Get Ned Overend's book, "Mountain bike like a Champion". (I think that is the name) It has all kind of XC tips and info. If you don't know who he is google his name

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.