Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Slow Goat....
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually like to train on my road bike for mtb rides. I find it makes me faster on the climbs and strengthens my legs.

Here is how my day went:

Sat. morning 9am was the start time. I rode with a local road riding club called "ACTC".
Total miles was to be 50 miles and 6000ft of climbing. I told my self that this would be a good ride for me since i haven't been on any bike in 6 weeks. Big mistake. At first we started on about 5 miles of flats to warm up. It was supposed to be up to 60degrees. It would never reach that temperature where we were going. Even after about 30 min of warming up my body was still cold. Then we started to climb our first hill. This hill would be about 4miles. Not very steep, but very long. When I crested i was tired, but felt ok. We regrouped at the top and took a drink a snack break. I drank few gulps of my drink mix and had a gel pack for the next section. Thankfully it was a down hill. Narrow and scarly as it was i was able to reach speeds of 40mph. This made me cold again. I couldn't feel my fingers or my toes. We stopped at a local store to fill up on our water. Then on another section of climbing. Before this climb i ate a power bar and another gel pack. I was looking forward to this climb to warm me up. I didn't measure,but it felt like another 3-4 miles of strenuous climbing. During this climb i would consume half of my liquids and the rest of my gel packs. I was in my granny gear the whole climb. When we came to the top i was exhausted. I had one bottle of water left and one power bar. I looked down on my computer and we had only gone 33 miles. Another 17 more to go. AT this point a few riders bailed out. This last climb was to be the hardest for me at least. I had no legs and no lungs left. I decided i was going to continue. As i started to climb the last hill i felt the excruciating pain of the lactic acid building in my legs that would not go away. My breathing was poor. I had lost my rhythem due to fatigue. Before i reached the 25% of the climb i dismounted and walked. I began to feel a cramp coming on in both of my legs. I had no more water or power bar left. I was dehydrated. I began to walk the last hill. I would walk about 2miles. I felt disoriented and lost. When i reached the top there was no group waiting for me. I took too long. At this point this was the least of my worries. When i looked down at my computer it read 38miles. I wasn't sure i could ride another 12. Thankfully the ride leader who was bringing up the rear due to a rider crash earlier had caught up with me. I was to follow him back. I said to myself thank God because i didn't know how to get back even though I had a route sheet. As i followed in which was mostly down hill i would find cramping in my neck, shoulders and my legs. I could barely lift my arm to signal for a turn. When i got back down to my car I thanked Don for leading me back. It took me about 15 min. to get my bearings back before i could drive home. After all the pain, misery and torture i put my self through it is still good to be back on my bike. THis reminds me to ride more regularly. Maybe next time i am off a while I will do a 30mile training ride instead.

·
Registered
341 Posts
reality sinks in, doesn't it?

On new year's eve (or day, not important) I took the roadie for a 40+ mile spin. Around mile 35 I realized that the last 5 miles were going to seriously HURT and they certainly did. It was a similar reminder for me. When I see these local groups doing 50+ mile rides I wonder if I could hang with them.

Have a small duathlon in two weeks, running/MTB riding/running. Actually kind of wondering how I'll do. Since it's my first one EVER my goal for this first (1 of 3) is just to finish the darn thing. I know I can do it, but willi have an embarrasing time? Hope not!

Thanks for this "reminder" that we can always be in better shape! :thumbsup:

·
Grip it and rip it.
1,219 Posts
True you never know what shape your in till you get out there n go for it. Ye man see how ur body feels n if u think ur not up for the 50 then do the 30 a couple of times. Once u`ve fired that one out till u feel good, u`ll be laughing at the 50. It`s good to challenge your body like that once in a while though well i like it......wakes you up, show`s your alive.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Something to remember...

jamisdakar said:
I thought i was in better shape than what i experianced.
:skep:
Just a little tidbit I picked up along the way...You start to lose your base fitness after two weeks of no activity...It's an incremental tail off from there. Anaerobic capacity and muscular endurance take a serious hit during this time off. Six weeks not on a bike and you chose to do this ride? No offense, but that's nuts. I can't imagine do this after two weeks off...

·
Registered
455 Posts
In a sick, demented sort of way... I enjoyed your post. With the ice, snow, and cold we're having here now in MI, going out to ride isn't the best option at the moment. Obviously, we don't have the elevation you have, but I do miss getting out on the bike. Hitting the gym for runs on the treadmill and time on the elliptical is beginning to get on my nerves.

jamisdakar said:
I usually like to train on my road bike for mtb rides. I find it makes me faster on the climbs and strengthens my legs.

Here is how my day went:

Sat. morning 9am was the start time. I rode with a local road riding club called "ACTC".
Total miles was to be 50 miles and 6000ft of climbing. I told my self that this would be a good ride for me since i haven't been on any bike in 6 weeks. Big mistake. At first we started on about 5 miles of flats to warm up. It was supposed to be up to 60degrees. It would never reach that temperature where we were going. Even after about 30 min of warming up my body was still cold. Then we started to climb our first hill. This hill would be about 4miles. Not very steep, but very long. When I crested i was tired, but felt ok. We regrouped at the top and took a drink a snack break. I drank few gulps of my drink mix and had a gel pack for the next section. Thankfully it was a down hill. Narrow and scarly as it was i was able to reach speeds of 40mph. This made me cold again. I couldn't feel my fingers or my toes. We stopped at a local store to fill up on our water. Then on another section of climbing. Before this climb i ate a power bar and another gel pack. I was looking forward to this climb to warm me up. I didn't measure,but it felt like another 3-4 miles of strenuous climbing. During this climb i would consume half of my liquids and the rest of my gel packs. I was in my granny gear the whole climb. When we came to the top i was exhausted. I had one bottle of water left and one power bar. I looked down on my computer and we had only gone 33 miles. Another 17 more to go. AT this point a few riders bailed out. This last climb was to be the hardest for me at least. I had no legs and no lungs left. I decided i was going to continue. As i started to climb the last hill i felt the excruciating pain of the lactic acid building in my legs that would not go away. My breathing was poor. I had lost my rhythem due to fatigue. Before i reached the 25% of the climb i dismounted and walked. I began to feel a cramp coming on in both of my legs. I had no more water or power bar left. I was dehydrated. I began to walk the last hill. I would walk about 2miles. I felt disoriented and lost. When i reached the top there was no group waiting for me. I took too long. At this point this was the least of my worries. When i looked down at my computer it read 38miles. I wasn't sure i could ride another 12. Thankfully the ride leader who was bringing up the rear due to a rider crash earlier had caught up with me. I was to follow him back. I said to myself thank God because i didn't know how to get back even though I had a route sheet. As i followed in which was mostly down hill i would find cramping in my neck, shoulders and my legs. I could barely lift my arm to signal for a turn. When i got back down to my car I thanked Don for leading me back. It took me about 15 min. to get my bearings back before i could drive home. After all the pain, misery and torture i put my self through it is still good to be back on my bike. THis reminds me to ride more regularly. Maybe next time i am off a while I will do a 30mile training ride instead.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
There are some serious riders in the ACTC (almaden cycle touring club). They do a century ride every April out of Gilroy called the Tierra Bella. I've done the 100 kilometer version of it a couple times and it is a tough but fun ride. I think their web page is something like www dot actc dot org

Given the 6 weeks off the bike, I would have picked an easier ride with them. Maybe 50 miles, but not the 6,000 feet of climbing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.