Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Monocog Masher
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have did lots of running races and triathlons, but haven't seriously competed in any mountain bike races. I'm planning on doing a mt bike race series starting the end of next month, which consists of six races. I have been training a lot on mountain, mostly on my single speed, but I realize I probably need to amp up my road riding to be more competive.

I'm trying to get a consensus of how many road miles/mt bike miles is decent for amateur racer? What is a decent average speed on the road bike, say for a 30-50 mile ride?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I find there are just too many external factors to compare speed/distance. For a better comparison, find a way to track work in the form of heart rate or watts. Then measure time relative to the work being done.

For example, an hour at 70% max HR could yield drastically different speed and distance results based on the day/wind/temp/bike. But regardless of what or where you ride the time and work load remain constant.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Very, very true comments there. In my part of the world, with my temps, humidity and winds, I like to keep the avg speed above 15mph if it includes some good hills and around 17-18mph if mostly flat, then I know for sure I've had a good, hard ride. On easier solo rides I try to keep it between 16-17mph on the flats and whatever on the hills. My hard day is Sat morning with a group of roadies - this on a rigid karate Monkey running 38mm City Slickers, bike weighs about 27-28lbs without alll the necessary stuff on.

burn_atp said:
I find there are just too many external factors to compare speed/distance. For a better comparison, find a way to track work in the form of heart rate or watts. Then measure time relative to the work being done.

For example, an hour at 70% max HR could yield drastically different speed and distance results based on the day/wind/temp/bike. But regardless of what or where you ride the time and work load remain constant.

·
Grip it and rip it.
1,219 Posts
Well firstly, i use training volume in time as my indicator rather than miles. And as for a time for the 30-50 mile spin, i think on my own on flattish rolling terrain id be about 3 hours 15 mins for the 50 mile spin, maybe double if it was on the mtb and hilly.

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
Merost said:
I'm trying to get a consensus of how many road miles/mt bike miles is decent for amateur racer? What is a decent average speed on the road bike, say for a 30-50 mile ride?
I ride with a bunch of amateur racers, cat 1, 2 and 3 and out on the road as a group we average about 21-24mph for 2-4 hour rides. Riding solo I try to maintain about 20mph for pretty much any distance up to 100miles and I know I'm far from the quickest in my group of mates. Then again it's flat around here so it's easy to maintain a steady pace.

50 miles is a nice benchmark to maintain for which I try to finish as close to 2 hours 30 as possible, though some days when the weather's crap I'm happy with under 3.

I used to be able to knock out 50 miles in about 2 hours, but that was a few (many) years ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts