Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Some guy
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm in a local race series (every Wed night) and I wanted to try to structure my training to maximize my race performance on a weekly basis. I made the rather stupid mistake of going to hard last week on the day before the race and paid for it with a craptacular performance. My general philosophy now is to rest the day after (Thurs), increasing training intensity in through the weekend, and then taper down again with only a light road ride on Tues (day before race). I'm a total noob so I'm just kinda making this up as I go along!

Anybody have any pointers for this kind of schedule?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Is this the only race your doing each week or are you also racing on the weekends? ie Whats your priority of the race?

Depending on where you are in the training cycle depends on how to approach. If you've got fitness, you can sacrifice it a little to gain and keep form, but that will only hold on for so long.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If your looking for structure, get Friels book or download my spreadsheet. Goto peak and race tab and that tells you how to structure a race week. Thing to remember, the structure assumes a strong base and build. Thus you'll need to pick your battles. Some of your races will be 'training' races (low priority), meaning you will have to work hard right up to race day. Other races you'll taper more and be fresh for race day (high priority).

I'd recommend you buy Friels book. The first time reading it will confuse you. The second time it will make sense. The third time will be like a revelation.

·
Banned
822 Posts
Treat it like a regular training day.

If it's a weekly event and you don't have any higher goals for it, there's no need to peak/taper/rest up for it.

In my prep for SuperWeek, I did three weeks in a row of Fri-hard, Sat/Sun race, Mon-easy, Tues-hard, Wed-Tempo-Thurs-Easy. Training through racing.

I'm now putting out more wattage than I've ever produced for all durations except my sprint, and I'm also skinnier. I recover faster, and with the easy week that I'm on now, I'll be fresh for the biggest month and a half of the year.

·
Some guy
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I've definitely been meaning to get Friel's book. For the moment these low-key weekly races are all I'm participating in so I'd just like to be in decent form for those. I'm still gaining fitness as well since this is my first year of racing. At my level I think any time on the bike is beneficial, but I'd like to be smart about it if I can.

·
Registered
191 Posts
training? how long is the race? what are your goals? how serious are you willing to get? If you are looking to get better and willing to put a bit of time/effort into it, i would suggest a 3 workout week. What thatmeans is that the race is day one, hard day, then rest, hard, rest, hard and by this point you should be very tired from your three hard workouts. This setup leaves you with two days for a full recovery to be ready for your race. As you progress each week, make your intervals longer and harder. You should see great improvement if you stick with it.

One word of advice is if you miss one day, don't try to make up for it by going extra hard the next, just stick with your training.

Oh by the way best of luck with your races

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.