Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there! I am in the BCBR this upcoming year and looking to build up my fitness. I have completed a bunch of 50 mile races this year but really looking to increase the structure of the training to take full advantage of the event and have fun while doing it. Thinking of either a series of stack training plans from Trainer Road or Training Peaks and looking for suggestions on what plans and when. Trying to keep my fitness up from this season so starting in full effect after a vacation in tow week. I have access to trails, road bike, trainer in the garage and spin classes a block away from work.

Any thoughts or recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Don't spend the entire year training in the saddle. Dont forget weight training, sprints, metabolic overloading, weight circuits and body weight circuits, flexibility-not just yoga-actually stretch-neuro excitement, explosive hip drive etc. lots of stuff. you can have an incredible VO2 but not have it in strength flexibility explosiveness or neuroresponsiveness. Focuss on being a complete athlete and not a saddle trained athlete.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks J-Bone. I am absolutely working in stretching, TRX, weight circuits and some winter sports into the mix. My main thought in the question is what type of Trainer Road or Training peaks I can mix in from now through the winter to keep a good base.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I’m a TrainerRoad (TR) user and have found great success with their training plans. In 10 months of TR I improved my FTP from 193 to 285, and now I’m at 298 (42 yrs old, 172 lbs). Consistent structured training will make a big difference and I’d recommend the Base - Build - Specialty progressions of TR plans to peak for the BCBR. In addition/substitution to the TR training I’d ensure to include trail rides on the weekends, especially as the event draws closer.

Look into what your limiters are and don’t forget to address those as well. What’s holding you back, nutrition, fitness, bike handling, and/or strength and conditioning? You’ll want to put some attention in that direction along the way.

Don’t forget about the mental aspect racing and ultra endurance events, I’d put that at 15-20%. There are lots of good books; How Bad Do You Want It, The Brave Athlete and Endure that focus on the mental game. I’d also recommend the Headspace app for mindfulness/meditation training, it’s been a huge help for me in addition to structured training. If you go with TR I’d recommend their forum and podcast for lots of good information about dialing in your training. Lastly, another good podcast that address many of these issues is the Sonya Looney Show.

Build the body and the mind and you’ll crush the BCBR.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Any thoughts or recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks!
Where do you live?

A lot of super fit folks get crushed by BC trails especially if they get wet. If you live someplace with rain, roots and tech you'll be fine. If you don't I would plan on a week or two of travel/training to someplace that does have those conditions over the winter. You want to feel confident in your ability to get the bike down the trail in order to get the most out of your engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look into the mental aspect and weaknesses. I am about to start a Training Peaks Base Period followed by 24 weeks of Base/Build from Training Peaks designed for a 6-8 day stage race.

I am in Denver, so rain sometimes, but there is a good amount of tech and roots in the mountains for sure. I actually like to climb, so descending is my weak spot. Planning on working that through harder trails, repetition, some clinics and bike park days.

Really appreciate everyone's help.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look into the mental aspect and weaknesses. I am about to start a Training Peaks Base Period followed by 24 weeks of Base/Build from Training Peaks designed for a 6-8 day stage race.

I am in Denver, so rain sometimes, but there is a good amount of tech and roots in the mountains for sure. I actually like to climb, so descending is my weak spot. Planning on working that through harder trails, repetition, some clinics and bike park days.

Really appreciate everyone's help.
What is your objective for BC Bike race? Do you want to finish and have good time or do you want crush it? I have done Breck Epic twice and my goal was a solid finish. Never wanted to try to win or podium, but did not want to fall a part and wanted to "ride strong" ever day.

One bit of advice I have is to ride back to back big days. It is one thing do a 50 mile day. But for stage races you have to get up and do it again the next day and then the next day after. That takes practice to train yourself to do that. Racing to win or racing to finish you still need to prep for both and know how to recover when not riding.

I do second the idea of rain training. I ride in Phoenix as well as Flagstaff. So technical stuff and even altitude were not that big of a deal. What is a challenge was wet. This year day 1 Breck saw 3hrs of rain and it was hard. Need to have the right gear dialed in and need to know to ride in the wet. I survived the day, but it was the MOST rain and wet I have ever been in. Most of the time if I get caught in a summer rain in Flagstaff I will wait it out. Not reasonable for a race and probably not realistic for BC. Wet roots, soft slick dirt, wet glasses and wet brakes. Tough to learn all that on spot. The tough thing about rain/wet is not just impact on placement, but gear failure or silly crash can end your event. My rainy day cost me 1 bottombracket bearing and 1 set of brake pads. Not a big deal since I had spares on the trip, but something to consider that goes beyond fitness.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
When thinking about BCBR in the rain it's not just the skills you'd need to ride those trails in the wet. You need to be doing it at race pace and dealing with 600 other people some of whom have no idea how to ride wet roots and woodwork so they are going to do all sorts of unexpected things in front of you. You'll have slow down and stop in places you'd never do on a normal ride as well as have to pass folks on singletrack on the $hitty lines in the rain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Joe - I am entered to finish and have fun. It is a race, so will definitely be going hard but I want to enjoy the experience of what will amount to a hopefully awesome bike vacation.

Great idea on the stacking of days and hoping that a focus on base from now until spring will give me the foundation to tackle big days of climbing and descending back to back when the weather turns again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Late seeing this thread. Hopefully your training is going well.
I did BCBR last year for the first time, and plan to do it again in 2021.

Whatever your current training plan is, add more climbing. Then add more climbing :)
And don't bring a chainring larger than 32T.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What is your objective for BC Bike race? Do you want to finish and have good time or do you want crush it? I have done Breck Epic twice and my goal was a solid finish. Never wanted to try to win or podium, but did not want to fall a part and wanted to "ride strong" ever day.

One bit of advice I have is to ride back to back big days. It is one thing do a 50 mile day. But for stage races you have to get up and do it again the next day and then the next day after. That takes practice to train yourself to do that. Racing to win or racing to finish you still need to prep for both and know how to recover when not riding.

I do second the idea of rain training. I ride in Phoenix as well as Flagstaff. So technical stuff and even altitude were not that big of a deal. What is a challenge was wet. This year day 1 Breck saw 3hrs of rain and it was hard. Need to have the right gear dialed in and need to know to ride in the wet. I survived the day, but it was the MOST rain and wet I have ever been in. Most of the time if I get caught in a summer rain in Flagstaff I will wait it out. Not reasonable for a race and probably not realistic for BC. Wet roots, soft slick dirt, wet glasses and wet brakes. Tough to learn all that on spot. The tough thing about rain/wet is not just impact on placement, but gear failure or silly crash can end your event. My rainy day cost me 1 bottombracket bearing and 1 set of brake pads. Not a big deal since I had spares on the trip, but something to consider that goes beyond fitness.
This is excellent advice. I too have done Breck twice and I'm going again this year. Year 1 I hired a coach, bought two power meters and put thousands of miles on my road bike. Anyway, the best thing my coach did for me that year was have me run a simulation in July about a month out. I did five 4 hour days in a row on fun trails at elevation so it was about as close to Breck as it could be. This is where you really dial in your nutrition and other details you don't have to consider when you're doing boring blocks of power work on the road.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Joe P and Bobo have the back to back "blocks" of training days nailed. There is no substitute for this. If you can find the time, do it.

And, psychologically, keep in mind the Day Four is hardly ever anybody's friend!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bcbr 2021

Late seeing this thread. Hopefully your training is going well.
I did BCBR last year for the first time, and plan to do it again in 2021.

Whatever your current training plan is, add more climbing. Then add more climbing :)
And don't bring a chainring larger than 32T.
I did the 2019 race as well (my first), and it was an epic event in so many ways.
It changed the way I approach most aspect of cycling. The event and the preparation for it change my outlook on training, nutrition, strength work, and skills. I'm from Southern California and the roots kicked my a$$. I found myself on the ground daily:madman:. It was part skills, part fatigue, and part tire choice... Staying focus is paramount.

I might sign up for the 2021 and try to incorporate the knowledge I gained in 2019. I would like to find out if I can get closer the 20 hours (total time). The race was a real challenge, but BC itself was amazing. I constantly find my self daydreaming about moving to Squeamish:thumbsup:. Doing the BC Bike Ride might be the way to go (fun rides without the stress of racing).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.