Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, ive searched, and apologies if ive missed a similar thread.
To mix things up ive signed up to a tr plan for a 5hr race in 6 weeks. Its similar to the indoor work i was doing, but the longest ride outdoors is 2 hrs. Im really worried I'll be well short on the endurance side. Id normally do a 4 to 5hr ride every weekend. Thoughts please.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
6 weeks ? 5 hr ? no long distance training ?

I'd immediately kick out a 6 hour ride then sort yourself out, how it went, what could be done better.
just do laps if you are worried about fuel
Then in a week try to crush your time. now you know more about what you are in for and just do yer normal rides stuff the next weeks till race day, recovering from all that extra saddle time previously...then bang out a 6 hour

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with the above comments, ive been on the podium twice for this race (over 50s), but never the top step. Single track fitness is everything.
But I'd be interested in comments from anyone who has used trainerroad for longer races.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
My reacts reacts extremely well to a Sweetspot build LV type plan with 2-4 hr MTB rides each day on the weekends.

Especially In The winter when I am mid marathon season and daylight is nonexistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
There was a video done by Dylan Johnson on TrainerRoad plans, with some response on the TrainerRoad forum.

Basically the plans are a guide, and as said above there should be changes made with longer endurance rides as needed. One tip (which is hard to find) is to do the low volume plan, and add in the distance and volume to replace the weekend rides and as you need. Use the plans for the intensity (intervals etc), and bad weather (sweetspot workouts instead of volume), but don't do them as they are on the tin.

To me who has been using TR for a long time, I never knew this until these videos, so had a love hate relationship with the product, but overall their plans offer good structure and science behind them compared to Zwift or other training apps.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I do TR for my indoor interval training during the week. I do my own longer weekend rides outside the framework of the TR program on the trails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.