Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's lots of questions about trainers and I've searched but couldn't find anything.

First off I'm pretty sure I want a trainer. I just hate not riding in winter. My local trail actually prohibits biking in winter. Plus I think it would help just to ride more continually when I dont have time to get out to the trails.

I'm leaning towards the Kurt Kinetic. Seems to have gotten good reviews and a place nearby has it for 259. It needs to be quit since I'm in an apartment (but has really good sound deadeing so I think it should be ok)

Anyways

1) Is there any issue with using a full suspension mountain bike(giant trance x2)? They all say they fit but I just don't seem to hear about people using a mountain bike with them. Or is there any quirks compared to a road bike?

2) What would be a good tire for a mountain bike on a trainer? I think knoobies probably wont be the best.

thanks for any advice either on my question or situation

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No lockout and no soft tail
Maybe once I'm not in an apartment and have more room for some bikes

Any advice on what slick
Seeing how its probably going to be used 90% of the time on a trainer all I care about is cheap and whatever makes a tire good for a trainer

·
Ride!
7 Posts
rockdude14 said:
No lockout and no soft tail
Maybe once I'm not in an apartment and have more room for some bikes

Any advice on what slick
Seeing how its probably going to be used 90% of the time on a trainer all I care about is cheap and whatever makes a tire good for a trainer
A full suspension bike will be just fine on a indoor trainer. It might even be the best option if thats the bike you'll be riding in the summer.

You should get a specific "Trainer Tire". There made with a more durable rubber compound so they wont heat up and start to smell. Any bike shop selling a Kurt Kentic Trainer should have a trainer tire you can purchase. Also dont think when i say a "trainer tire" im talking about any slick tire... there are specific tires made for indoor trainers.

You should get a riser block aswell. It's nice to have your bike even as if your actually riding on the road. Some even have a rise to them which can simulate riding uphills.

·
Registered
813 Posts
A fluid KK will be last trainer you buy. For the money, you can't get any better. Regarding being quiet, you won't hear the trainer over the noise from your drivetrain. :D

And yes, I have a KK fluid and have used it often over the last year and half. More during race season for intervals, but on a road bike.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I purchased a kurt kinetic at the start of the year and I'm very happy with it. I purchased it thru ebay with bicycle outfitters. I offered them 170 and they took it. It is the 2011 model.

I use a cheap slick on my bike.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rubystreet said:
sooo, will you be using clipless or platform pedals on that trainer ?? :)
toe clips of course
they havent made any improvements in pedals since than have they? ;)

How big of a life difference is there going to be between a trainer tire and a normal slick tire.
It'd be kind of nice to be able to just take the bike off and ride it around the city if I need to for any reason without having to switch tires.

Would a riser work with a mtb tire? They look like the fit 700cc ones. I have a ton of text books from college can I just use those to vary the height or is there a reason people use risers instead?

thanks

I'll actually be using clipless

·
Registered
288 Posts
If the trainer doesn't come with a front wheel riser, books work great, just get the bike level, no big deal. You can ride around town fine with a "trainer" tire and you can also use whatever 26 " slick you'd like on your trainer, but as mentioned a cheap slick can start to wear quickly. In time it will leave a rooster tail of black rubber dust all over the bike and floor.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya I dont want a trail of rubber
That will come out my security deposit and college land lords love to do that.
I guess Ill grab that continental one

thanks for the tips

does anyone think the rock and roll is worth it for 465$
its like 2x the cost and it can just tip
I just dont think I can justify that
but am i wrong?

·
DynoDon
1,666 Posts
I found a Reebok studio Spinning bike on Craigslist for $300 its quiet, works great after I put a brake on it, a little paint and it looks good too, easy to use, gives a great workout, doesn't wear out my bike, I got the Carmichael Training System Mountain Bike DVD and took a few spin bike classes, before I got my spin bike, it was a education in itself, I had a fat burning instructor, there was a lot of bouncing going on, no smooth peddle 360 strokes. A good workout but not like the CTS workout at all.. now I have a bike set up for rain days too. I even put clipless peddles on it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
rockdude14 said:

thanks for the tips

but am i wrong?
I have the R&R. Getting the larger flywheel is more important than the R&R feature; it makes a lot of difference with holding a specified speed more consistantly.

While it's not 100% representing a sprint form, you can get it leaned over enough to put some power down. But it takes up a lot more room.

From what I've read so far, I would recommend the standard KK fluid trainer, but get the bigger flywheel. :thumbsup:

A higher quality trainer like the KK, or even the upper end Cycleops or 1UP will mean you're more likely to use it, if you hate the trainer itself, it will just collect dust.

No one can sugar coat trainer time enough to like it. I (and most others) do it as a necessary evil. Established, consitant and safe intervals are my reason for it.

I won't tell you it was 80 degrees here today where I live, and I still put in a little over an hour on the trainer.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Fakie1999 said:
I use my normal road bike tire on my trainer. I dont have rubber coming off. I also only ride once or twice a week, during the winter. I do like it for intervals.
yeah, I didn't mean to make it sound like a regular slick would detonate when it hits the trainer. I had a WTB tire that worked great for several seasons, but when it started to get a flat groove in it, it started spraying rubber. Maybe it was just getting dry-rotted and probably my bad for not changing it.

·
UK XC and 'cross rider
37 Posts
I picked up (for free) an old steel bike which just about worked and have it dedicated for the trainer. As a trainer it works very well, and I can zip-tie a little container on the front to put the tv remotes, ipod, etc. It's far better than any spin bike, as the geometry is more-or-less correct.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Many years ago (ohmegod, that was 7 years ago) I tried putting Epic into a trainer and it was awful, I couldn't even have thought it might bob that much. Since Epic was the best FS those days I guess every FS without Brain and with a platform shock might bob.

·
Registered Dietitian
1,886 Posts
rockdude14 said:

thanks for the tips

but am i wrong?
If you are spending that kind of money, get the Lemond Revolution. Best trainer on the market, IMO. Feels like riding on the road (smooth, with inertia) vs. riding uphill through mud with a flat tire (other trainers).

Huge flywheel + big resistance fan = louder than most. But the best feel, and next best is not even close.

Plus, no need for a slick tire...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.