Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Go with rollers, trust me you can go brain dead on rollers too. Once you get the hang of them rollers are really pretty easy, but in my mind far better than a trainer. You can work on balance which will end up helping your technical skills once you get back on the dirt, you do have to think a little which makes the time go by quicker and the feel is just more road like.

The one draw back of rollers for me has always been resistence for hard efforts, however, I stole the idea of a towel under the rear rollers from Jeff K and it works wonders. With the towel I'm pretty sure my trainer won't see use again.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Agreed the towel works well, but you can find some rollers with resistance or a fan unit to add resistance. Rollers do have a fairy steep learning curve, you can't actually go 'brain dead' on them or you'll be answering alot of questions from friends and family wondering if you got into a barfight. It's pretty easy to zone out and then shoot right across the room.

Rollers, I think though offer more of a 'road feel' than trainers, but trainers offer the advantage of allowing you to go FULL GAS! without crashing into the couch. They also have resistance so you can sprint, or do heavy intensity and stand up as needed (Can be done on the rollers, but takes skill; when you can ride 1 legged no handed on the rollers, and remove clothing articles, well then you can worry about just going brain dead and not crashing;) )

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
Riding inside lately here too.

Hand/of/Midas said:
Getting something to keep blood in the legs this winter.(-40f right now!)

kinda want rollers,but kinda want something to go brain dead and watch movies on, so am thinking a trainer........

also, what brands have you guys used? thanks.
I've never used rollers, so I cannot speak to them. I have been using my new 1UP USA trainer for the past week and really love it (made in the US, shipped for $300). It's quiet and feels amazingly close to riding outside. NO fluid to leak either. Having also used a Cycleops Fluid 2 for many years, I highly recommend the 1UP.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I have used krietler rollers for about five years now. I also have a fixed trainer and it collects dust.

The rollers are just more fun to use and quick to set up.

Takes a few months to ride no handed, which is the key to riding long periods on them.

The roller model I have is the 3.0 inch model, paid 350 bucks.

·
Banned
822 Posts
Rollers.

When you can ride with no hands and one leg, you know you're smooth.

I'm not a track sprinter, but being able to rev up to 160rpm is definitely not a bad thing. Staying in an easy gear and not giving someone advanced notice by dropping it down from the 15 to the 13 ("plunk, plunk" with SRAM Red), and speeding up simply by going from from 90 to 120rpm (on the road bike) is definitely helpful.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
cool, think ill be getting rollers, ive only riden them for a bit, on some womens pro track racers tiny fixed gear at vegas,and i remember it being tricky, but im sure a bit on my own bike will take care of that.

What brands are good? what features should i get?

EDIT: just orderd Elite Parabolic Rollers. whatcha know about them? Good?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hm I had not heard of the towel under the rollers before - how much resistance can you get compared to a typical trainer?

I use rollers with an add-on resistance unit. They are the Minoura rollers with a Mag unit, so really I think it is the best of both worlds, although being a magnetic unit it doesn't have quite as good a feel as a fluid trainer like the CycleOps Fluid2.

With this setup I can do any workout I like, except all-out sprints (they are more like hard careful sprints)

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
If you get the rollers get the Kreitlers. I had a set of polys last from '87 until I sold them last year but I was replacing the bearings roughly every 3 years. I bought a set of Kreitlers like Mr Kerkove has about 10 years ago and love 'em.

Last season I rode some E-Motion Rollers at a local health club during some "cycling" classes. Talk about sweet! For $750 you get a set-up you can sprint, climb out of the saddle or do dopey things on and not crash. Well, nearly not crash. Maybe if I get my act together and lose 50# in the process of getting born-again hard I could justify the purchase.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Caffeine Powered said:
.......E-Motion Rollers..... Talk about sweet! For $750 you get a set-up you can sprint, climb out of the saddle or do dopey things on and not crash. Well, nearly not crash.....
Yup...I bought I set last year and spent a lot of hours training on em last winter. The first time on them I was able to do full on sprints out of the saddle without worrying about flying off like traditional rollers. Highly recommended...I love mine, but the one downside is the cost. They are definitely spendy, but for me it was money well spent...

http://insideride.com/

MSH

·
Registered
44 Posts
I couldn't agree more on the choice of rollers over a trainer. Yes, you can vary the degree of difficulty much easier on a trainer, but the rollers will keep you engaged during your entire workout from start to finish.

by the way, that towel trick is awesome, I'm gonna have to try that out since it doesn't look like the snow is going to be melting anytime soon.

·
Registered
356 Posts
just ordered a set of e-motion rollers. used them once before and was amazed at how easy they were to get used to. can't wait to start riding indoors. it's about 10F outside so any riding is good riding i guess. even if i'm not going anywhere.

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
Get the Krietlers! Although based on their durabiltiy, I would get one of the smaller sizes and consider the fan addition.

Once you get the hang of them, they rule! If you think it's tough to isolate your upper body sprinting on a trainer, try it on rollers!

·
Registered
130 Posts
wow, can't wait to go home and try the towel trick. For additonal restistance I've been using my mt bike with knobbies. There is definately much more resistance using the mt bike than rd bike but the mt bike is so much louder. I bet if you really wanted even more resistance you could use the towel and mt bike with knobies, just put on some headphones.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.