Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
meow
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read reviews on the board here and these two trainers are the highest rated by users. They're both made by the same company, and are only thrity bucks difference in price. Looking for some feedback on which one of these is a better unit and why. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've got the 1up and my buddy has the Kurt. I've ridden on both. Can't say that there is a large difference between the two. You can't really go wrong with either one.

Cato said:
I've read reviews on the board here and these two trainers are the highest rated by users. They're both made by the same company, and are only thrity bucks difference in price. Looking for some feedback on which one of these is a better unit and why. Thanks for your input!

·
rbtm member
888 Posts
Cato said:
I have a Kurt as well and just wanted to mention that if you plan on using it with a mountain bike, you may not get enough resistance because of the relatively low gearing. At least I find it fairly easy to max out. Well, maybe not that easy but I do feel it's limiting. Depending on what you are going to put on it, you may want to consider something with adjustable resistance. Other than that little caveat, it's great.

·
BLS439
529 Posts
Mr.Bob said:
I have a Kurt as well and just wanted to mention that if you plan on using it with a mountain bike, you may not get enough resistance because of the relatively low gearing. At least I find it fairly easy to max out. Well, maybe not that easy but I do feel it's limiting. Depending on what you are going to put on it, you may want to consider something with adjustable resistance. Other than that little caveat, it's great.
I have the 1UP with the extra ball bearings to *increase* the resistance. It's an awesome trainer! They have really good customer service too. They sent out the ball bearings free of charge and overnight delivery to me.

--BLS439

·
Registered
35 Posts
1 Up

Ditto on the extra ball bearings shipped no charge. I think you'll find enough resistance with 6 in there! I've had mine for 3? years now. It's a great machine that comes with excellent customer service.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Fish Hunter said:
Ditto on the extra ball bearings shipped no charge. I think you'll find enough resistance with 6 in there! I've had mine for 3? years now. It's a great machine that comes with excellent customer service.
I just got my 1up yesterday. Out of the box I feel it didn't have enough resistance, so I added more using the extra bearings. The bearings are stored in a bag in the right lower leg. I had to take the rubber cap off to get to them. I was ready to call 1up and get the bearings shipped until I read the instructions very carefully. I had been conveniently missing the line that says where they are at. ;)

Does the resistance increase after some time, like disc brakes wearing in? Even in my talled gear on my road bike I'm still wishing for a little more resistance. Are there certain tires that are better for trainers? I'm using a Conti gator skin something or other, and after a few minutes I can smell burning rubber, and the tire looks like it's ready to melt. It's not hot though, just warm.

-Dan

·
Registered
35 Posts
dan51 said:
I just got my 1up yesterday. Out of the box I feel it didn't have enough resistance, so I added more using the extra bearings. The bearings are stored in a bag in the right lower leg. I had to take the rubber cap off to get to them. I was ready to call 1up and get the bearings shipped until I read the instructions very carefully. I had been conveniently missing the line that says where they are at. ;)

Does the resistance increase after some time, like disc brakes wearing in? Even in my talled gear on my road bike I'm still wishing for a little more resistance. Are there certain tires that are better for trainers? I'm using a Conti gator skin something or other, and after a few minutes I can smell burning rubber, and the tire looks like it's ready to melt. It's not hot though, just warm.

-Dan
Holy cow - you must be a monster! With all 6 balls in there, I'm no where near my biggest gear. Not that I'm strong, but if I remember the resistance curve on their website, 6 balls will get you over 3000 watts. That's quite a bit! You might give it a few rides and let things loosen up a bit. If you're not in serious pain after that, you'd better call them. Or maybe look up a pro contract!! ;-)

As far as the tires go, I have noticed that when I'm using all 6 balls, there is a significantly greater amount of heat generated and my tire is disappearing rather quickly. Never had problems using just 3. I would suggest using either an old tire that's not safe for the road, or by the cheapest one you can find, knowing it will get chewed up.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Fish Hunter said:
Holy cow - you must be a monster! With all 6 balls in there, I'm no where near my biggest gear. Not that I'm strong, but if I remember the resistance curve on their website, 6 balls will get you over 3000 watts. That's quite a bit! You might give it a few rides and let things loosen up a bit. If you're not in serious pain after that, you'd better call them. Or maybe look up a pro contract!! ;-)

As far as the tires go, I have noticed that when I'm using all 6 balls, there is a significantly greater amount of heat generated and my tire is disappearing rather quickly. Never had problems using just 3. I would suggest using either an old tire that's not safe for the road, or by the cheapest one you can find, knowing it will get chewed up.
I am definitely not a monster, which is why I ask. The resistance is just not what I expected. I'm hoping with some use the resistance increases. I'm guessing that as the trainer spins, the balls are suppose to move outward which would apply more pressure to the pressure plate. Maybe some grease on the balls would help. Since I've only had it a day some more experimentation is due.

Thanks for the advice on the tires too.

-Dan

maybe I'm a monster and just don't know it. My mom may have been right for all these years. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts