Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, our weather in the PNW has been far from typical this winter. We had a record month for rain (16") in November. The rains just kept on coming in December and then came the windstorms knocking trees down on houses, power lines, cars and, of course, the trails. Near Seattle, there are 6 or 7 trail networks that people generally ride this time of year and most of those had so much blowdown on them that they've been walks with your bike rather than rides lately. This past week we got 2-10" of snow, depending on where you live in the area and more high winds. It's been that kind of wacky winter.....as I'm sure the folks in Denver and the Northeast can attest.

Well, our group of buddies had been working on some building projects prior to the windstorms and recently have been focusing on clean up on the trails we ride most often, while other groups have been cleaning up other areas. A couple of the local networks are now fully rideable again, while others are only 25-50% cleared. The first few recon rides, we only had handsaws and cut out the smaller trees and moved the fallen limbs that were across the trails. In some sections, there were trees on top of trees and you couldn't even see where the trail went. We were able to limb the bigger trees with handsaws, but needed some power tools to get the job done right. :thumbsup:

Fast forward to the last couple of weeks and we've been getting out with some good sized groups with chainsaws and clearing the trails. On Saturday, we had 7 guys and 3 chainsaws working in the snow and 30 degree temps. We split up and worked from opposite sides of the area towards each other. While we didn't get all of the trails cleared, we got 4 trails open and cut 25-30 good sized trees. The good news is that we've now got endless supplies of wood for stringers and ramping...... ;)

Anyway, we've got other projects in the works, but it's been a good effort to get some of the trails rideable again.....a few pics of the recent outings.

1 - Group taking a lunch break.
2 - taking advantage of some downed trees for stringers. We'll secure the stringers and deck with cedar the next time out.
3 - FM building a berm out of a cut section of log.
4 - Wild Man Hess riding with a Heineken and his chainsaw....post work.
5 - Guys hiking out on Saturday after 4+ hours of sawing and clearing.

Cheers,
EBX

Attachments

·
~~~~~~~~
5,923 Posts
right on brother! mother nature dropped off a load of materials and you guys are on it. It's funny to compare build teams. We've been all about tossing and packing perfect dirt lately, I'm looking at day six in a row today of digging and sessioning. Lots of chainsawing as well but it's all getting buried. We haven't had the typical seasonal super soaker rains and realizing we better power out the building now while the weather is good.

All seems well on the trail dramas also, the hater appears to have had a change of heart and has apologized to everyone :eekster:. Think I might have to revive the dh thread and go into some detail. Or I could poach this thread :p.

I need to take the camera up and get some photos of the all the cool new stuff, and do a berm count, probably close to 20 now linked up.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Hello skinnies!!! Awesome job. Mother Nature has also given us the good fortune of dropping some decent trees of all sizes out here in the Northeast. Some ropes, levers, and hatchets have yeilded many new "A" lines for next season. Keep up the good work.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
airwreck said:
right on brother! mother nature dropped off a load of materials and you guys are on it. It's funny to compare build teams. We've been all about tossing and packing perfect dirt lately, I'm looking at day six in a row today of digging and sessioning. Lots of chainsawing as well but it's all getting buried. We haven't had the typical seasonal super soaker rains and realizing we better power out the building now while the weather is good.

All seems well on the trail dramas also, the hater appears to have had a change of heart and has apologized to everyone :eekster:. Think I might have to revive the dh thread and go into some detail. Or I could poach this thread :p.

I need to take the camera up and get some photos of the all the cool new stuff, and do a berm count, probably close to 20 now linked up.
E,

Hey mang.....yeah, we'd MUCH rather be working on fun projects right now, but the existing trails are in need of so much love that we've had to get some maintenance done before we can actually get back at it. I think we're pretty close to that point now though.....although maintenance is going to be constant for the next month or two.

On the flip side, we've now got a wealth of downed trees to use for stringers, bermage, log rides, etc. Mother nature handed us lemons and we're making lemonade! :D

Side note, I'll be on Kona in early November for a wedding. Gonna try for a few Maui days too. Is it worth it for biking at that time of the year.....or is it a total mudfest??

EB

P.S. Glad to hear the drama has cleared up for ya on those trails. Sounds like you guys are getting some fun stuff done! :thumbsup:

·
~~~~~~~~
5,923 Posts
ebxtreme said:
making lemonade
EB, jelaous of your lemons, ours are hard to juice.
November, typically epic (good).
We always roll out the brown carpet for all visiting dignitaries such as your self :thumbsup:.

anotherE

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Right on.... I have to admit, I'd just as soon keep going with the trailwork till the weather improves. I know a lot of guys are doing this mainly to get back on their bikes (which is great!) but I'm sort of A>burned out on short, cold XC night-rides, and B> kinda fired up to see these trail networks become as good as they could be. So I'm probably going to continue with my current preference to build trail or go snowboaridng until we get a sunny dry weekend.

Thanks for posting!

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
radair said:
Good job, mate. We had some big winds last fall and I went for a couple long rides with my chainsaw in the Bob; similar results.

Up until the ground froze, we were working with the stone. I love this stuff.
Love the rock work Rad!!

Few more pics from our recent efforts.
1. Baker chillin' at the beginning of the long log ride.
2. Kevmo on a big log pile.
3. FM's battle wound from a runaway branch. (sorry FM, had to show it!) ;)
4. GFroh hitting a jump we built a few weeks back - pre-berm work.
5. Same jump in the snow with berm in background.

Cheers,
EBX

Attachments

·
El Malo
549 Posts
EBX, it would have been cool to get a pic of me when I had those 100lbs of cedar strapped to the backpack as I was climbing up the snowy trail on the Heckler.
You know, just for posterity...
Love that picture of CHess, posterboy for OSHA compliance... drinking while carrying a chainsaw in his pack inches from his head/neck as he's about to ride down steep and snowy singletrack. CLASSIC !
I'll bring some more timber ties and deck nails so we can finish off the bridges next time out !

·
I HUCK WITH CHUCK
1,319 Posts
I think my arms might fall off because I dug like I was on meth this weekend. You can't tell entirely whats up from the pictures but it will suffice to say that rocks and extreme steepness are plentiful. Next up are some 30 foot dubz to top off the pinnertentiary.

I'm glad I just bought a DH bike.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EBX, it would have been cool to get a pic of me when I had those 100lbs of cedar strapped to the backpack as I was climbing up the snowy trail on the Heckler.
yeah, I was busy hauling big cedar rounds with the wheel barrow at the time to take pics. I also missed a great pic of FM hiking with a similar load of cedar on his back and MattPatt hauling a load in his kiddie trailer. Good news is I've located several beautiful downed cedars we can use going forward. I'll buck them into rounds next time out. So, no more need to haul it in. :thumbsup:

I'll bring some more timber ties and deck nails so we can finish off the bridges next time out !
For decking nails, we need something longer than 16 penny....just an fyi. Also, we've got lag bolts that we can use to secure stringers.

EBX

1 - 12 of 12 Posts